• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think we should have overpaid for pitching or are you content with the pitching we've acquired to date?

Torridd

I think the obvious answer is that no, the pitching is pretty questionable and it’s tough to be “content” with that.  At the same time I don’t think they should have overpaid for middling pitching.  I think teams really get themselves into trouble reaching for guys who aren’t top end pitchers.  Pitchers are the way they are. I think it doesn’t make sense to over pay players who subject to such significant injury risk.  Obviously it make sense to pay the really high end guys.  But multi year commitments to guys exiting their prime who are not in the top couple of tiers of pitching just sets you up for having trouble with commitments that hinder the team.  I think Eppler and the Angels have done it right going for cheap control and limited terms on the guys we’ve gotten.  I’d be uncomfortable with the deals that Keuchel and Ryu got.  

that’s not to say that I don’t think that they’ve missed.  I think Gibson would have been a decent get.  Obviously it sucks we didn’t get Wheeler this year or Corbin last year.  Goes without saying we didn’t get Cole and didn’t get a shot at Strasburg.  The reality is that the quantities of these pitchers that we need are pretty limited.  We have to just hope to get one soon.  And we’ve gotta keep working to develop our own.  Internal development is truly the main key to this.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, Stradling said:

See those crossed palm trees?  I am assuming that is from “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World” right?

Exactly, was actually filmed at Portuguese Bend (Palos Verdes area), even though the chase scene starts as they come down the road to PCH in Santa Monica near the beginning of the 10 freeway. 

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly, was actually filmed at Portuguese Bend (Palos Verdes area), even though the chase scene starts as they come down the road to PCH in Santa Monica near the beginning of the 10 freeway. 

That was Rich Snyder (one time owner of INO), it was his favorite movie.  That is why almost every INO you go to will have crossed palm trees on the property.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

That was Rich Snyder (one time owner of INO), it was his favorite movie.  That is why almost every INO you go to will have crossed palm trees on the property.  

It's one of my favorite movies as well, was the second movie my mom ever took me to (age 6).   Needless to say, I fell asleep due to it being 3+ hours long.    Nowadays, it's no prob watching it all the way through. 

Nice trivia on how the palm trees ended up as part of INO

When the movie debuted on tv on New Years Eve 1976, I was spending that night at a friend's house in LB.   He had just gotten married that summer.    We polished off a smaller bottle of Bacardi 86 with Coke, and after attempting to play air hockey on his table, turned on the tv and came across Mad, Mad, Mad World.    As the LB scenes appeared (chase scene), we are snockered and simply yell out "Heeeeyyyy, that'sssss Longgg Beachhhhh".