• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So when's a good time to give Eppler a final grade?

Torridd

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

Side thought, are we even grading Eppler at this point?
Seems hes doing his job but if Arte pulls the plug its not exactly his fault. 

Another side thought - we might be looking at a new GM next season.  

If the Angels tank this season, he, by all accounts, won't be renewed.  (which would be a mistake - he's done well given the constraints - the real question is, who's gonna do better?)  

But even if we do well, decent chance  he bolts for a long-term deal elsewhere, anyway -  Arte's hot breath on his neck and making a fool of him won't sit well.   

He'll take an extension if there's no better offers - MLB GM is a sweet gig.  

But if Cashman or Rizzo or someone decides it's time to retire, and offer him a multi-year deal, well ...

I give it a 60% chance he won't be back next season.  

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Another side thought - we might be looking at a new GM next season.  

If the Angels tank this season, he, by all accounts, won't be renewed.  (which would be a mistake - he's done well given the constraints - the real question is, who's gonna do better?)  

But even if we do well, decent chance  he bolts for a long-term deal elsewhere, anyway -  Arte's hot breath on his neck and making a fool of him won't sit well.   

He'll take an extension if there's no better offers - MLB GM is a sweet gig.  

But if Cashman or Rizzo or someone decides it's time to retire, and offer him a multi-year deal, well ...

I give it a 60% chance he won't be back next season.  

Eppler will also be working with a new manager this season and they need to see how that relationship plays out. Maddon intimated that his relationship with Theo Epstein and his philosophies changed over time in Chicago which led to his departure there. With Maddon signed longer term, no need to prematurely extend Eppler so quickly without seeing how this season and their relationship (old school vs analytics) plays out.

Edited by makepeac

4 minutes ago, FabulousFabregas said:

It boggles my mind how a lot of people on here defend him. We've been under .500 every year he has been GM, and this supposed great farm system he has built up isn't deep enough to trade for a mid-rotation level starter, or developed an even mediocre major league starter.

Because we understand that a farm isn’t built in 4 years.  However in his time here he has drafted two guys that played a bit last year in Thaiss and Canning.  He has also drafted a top 5 prospect as well as a top 40 prospect.  He has also drafted or signed internationally guys who are in the top 150.  You can’t really put minor league player development in the microwave and make it happen any faster than it is capable of happening.  Are they the Dodgers, no, but they are producing prospects.  We also understand what the team was like when he took it over which was bad with bloated contracts.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Because we understand that a farm isn’t built in 4 years.  However in his time here he has drafted two guys that played a bit last year in Thaiss and Canning.  He has also drafted a top 5 prospect as well as a top 40 prospect.  He has also drafted or signed internationally guys who are in the top 150.  You can’t really put minor league player development in the microwave and make it happen any faster than it is capable of happening.  Are they the Dodgers, no, but they are producing prospects.  We also understand what the team was like when he took it over which was bad with bloated contracts.  

When he arrived, our farm was described as a laughingstock - the worst anyone had seen.  In fact, this is what Keith Law had to saw in Feb '16 about it (Eppler was hired after the '15 season)

I’ve been doing these rankings for eight years now, and this is by far the worst system I’ve ever seen.”

His first draft, in 2016, we picked 16th - not exactly where you find team-changing talent - he took Thaiss - which may seem unexciting, but he does have the highest WAR of any 1st rounder that year (a couple of comp round guys did better)

In 2017, he got Adell with the 10th pick, and in 2018, Jordyn Adams with the 17th pick.  Those are two of the most intriguing players I've seen come along in a *long* time.

Compare that to the 2010 draft.

Yeah, I want better.  But he walked into a wasteland - after the 2015 season, I took a look around, and thought I should just stop following the Angels entirely, that it was all downhill from there, and there was nothing, not a single reason to believe it could get better for a long, long time.  No talent, no money to spend, no international scouting, no avalanche of high draft picks.  

He hasn't been a magician - but considering he had little but ashes to work with when he got here, he's done well.  

It could be worse.  Dipoto could still be ruining, er, "running" things...