• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, now what?

floplag

I'm going to hope Ohtani, Canning, and Heaney improve over last season.

I am confident about the first two; not so much the third.

But it is certainly possible all three of them will be better than last season, which would make the rotation leaps and bounds better. 

37 minutes ago, floplag said:

And yet would still be upgrades.
Look im not trying to compare them ok, can we stop that argument.  Im just saying we could make similar moves not on the same level.
I guess fuck it though lets just go to ST with what we have since no one appears to get who they want and hates every other idea. 

Walker wouldn’t make our top five. Goodwin is as good as, and cheaper than Puig, and doesn’t block Adell. 

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not too bummed out. Pederson and Stripling maybe add a couple of wins, but it isn't a huge difference. Now there is one less obstacle for Adell and Marsh, and we still have Rengifo.

Plus, maybe if Arte stops pouting, Eppler can still work a trade for Stripling. 

I think it’s dead. If Arte got upset, he probably doesn’t want them making a deal with LA at all. Just like how he avoided Boras for years after Texeira. 

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

We don't know if Goodwin turned a corner last year or if he had a career year.  Puig is better than Goodwin.

Maybe slightly. Puig has had one season over two war in five years. I wouldn’t bet the over, personally. Could be wrong. My point was more that they’re basically identical in value, but I probably overstated it. 

11 hours ago, floplag said:

We could almost replicate what was lost in the non trade by signing Walker and Puig... emphasis on almost.
I'm going to withhold anger over it, its pointless, ST starts in a weeks so i'm back to how to make the club better.
Although, at this point, to be honest, barring another trade i think we are what we are for 20. 

Puig

0647796C-A79E-4E0F-91E1-28759F4CBF2D.jpeg

8 hours ago, cvdog said:

Yes he did. All he had to do was butt out and let Eppler wait 1 more day. If I'm Mike Trout I'm so done with these fools.

Oh yeah, I would be "so done" with these two guys paying me over $37 million a year for the next 11 years, because they didn't add a left fielder who will be a free agent in 7 months, and a pitcher who hasn't pitched greater than 125 innings in a year in his ML career.  He might be so pissed he would donate his salary all back, and quit the game.  Baseball ended on February 9, 2020, there will never be another trade, ever.  Trout will have to play with these same guys for the next 11 years, and you will have to watch them play the next 1,782 regular season games on your TV, and never see them play a playoff game ever again.  To avoid your misery you might hope for a large asteroid strike of planet Earth so this can all be averted. 

21 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

I'm going to hope Ohtani, Canning, and Heaney improve over last season.

I am confident about the first two; not so much the third.

But it is certainly possible all three of them will be better than last season, which would make the rotation leaps and bounds better. 

Considering that Ohtani did not pitch last season, then it shouldn't be hard for him to improve.

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Considering that Ohtani did not pitch last season, then it shouldn't be hard for him to improve.

Yep, that's where my confidence comes from. And I really liked what I saw from Canning - even when he got in a jam or taken yard, he didn't melt down, he stayed focused. 

I'm disappointed the Angels didn't get Cole or Wheeler, and pissed off if the reports are true about why the Stripling trade fell through. But if Ohtani and Canning do what I believe they are capable of, the rotation is going to be so much better than last season. 

Is Rengifo more valuable as an asset for a trade or as a utility infielder?

Remember, Simmons is a question mark after this season. If Rengifo plays enough this year and shows clear improvement that could factor into how Simmons is dealt with. Fletcher's versatility also is an important variable for the infield equation next year. 

Pederson will probably be traded at some point this year. Maybe at the deadline, to maximize his value.  If the Angels are deep in contention by the trade deadline would they try to get him as a rental then? 

Puig would add drama to the team and more media attention. Not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes complacency needs to be shaken. Maybe he would be a spark that ignites the team. Too volatile to depend on, but when he's on a hot streak he can be really dominant. I wouldn't go after him aggressively, but if he can be acquired cheaply it may be worth a risk. Maddon has experience blending different personalities into an effective unit. 

At this point I would let the season begin and see how the internal competition between starters works out. There is enough potential to think someone on the back burner has a break through season and does at least what Stripling is projected to do. Canning and/or Heany would be my guess. Young enough, some experience and good enough raw talent. Confidence, managerial trust, better coaching could make the difference. 

2 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Is Rengifo more valuable as an asset for a trade or as a utility infielder?

Remember, Simmons is a question mark after this season. If Rengifo plays enough this year and shows clear improvement that could factor into how Simmons is dealt with. Fletcher's versatility also is an important variable for the infield equation next year. 

Pederson will probably be traded at some point this year. Maybe at the deadline, to maximize his value.  If the Angels are deep in contention by the trade deadline would they try to get him as a rental then? 

Puig would add drama to the team and more media attention. Not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes complacency needs to be shaken. Maybe he would be a spark that ignites the team. Too volatile to depend on, but when he's on a hot streak he can be really dominant. I wouldn't go after him aggressively, but if he can be acquired cheaply it may be worth a risk. Maddon has experience blending different personalities into an effective unit. 

At this point I would let the season begin and see how the internal competition between starters works out. There is enough potential to think someone on the back burner has a break through season and does at least what Stripling is projected to do. Canning and/or Heany would be my guess. Young enough, some experience and good enough raw talent. Confidence, managerial trust, better coaching could make the difference. 

He is more valuable in what he can return.  

2 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

You lost me right here. Puig is looking for a multi-year deal. That, in theory would block Adell. Besides, the risk is too high for me that he will be a cancer.