• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, now what?

floplag

We could almost replicate what was lost in the non trade by signing Walker and Puig... emphasis on almost.
I'm going to withhold anger over it, its pointless, ST starts in a weeks so i'm back to how to make the club better.
Although, at this point, to be honest, barring another trade i think we are what we are for 20. 

I already think this is the team that will win the West as constructed. I think Eppler still tries to find a partner for another trade with a starting pitcher as well. Bummed the deal for Joc and Stripling fell through but in reality it isn't the end of the world. Adell is coming soon to an outfield near you. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I already think this is the team that will win the West as constructed. I think Eppler still tries to find a partner for another trade with a starting pitcher as well. Bummed the deal for Joc and Stripling fell through but in reality it isn't the end of the world. Adell is coming soon to an outfield near you. 

I wish i could agree, but as is i think we fall short.
I do think we might finally see an ace of sorts come the deadline, but we still need to do what we can between now and then.

Just now, floplag said:

I do think we might finally see an ace of sorts come the deadline, but we still need to do what we can between now and then.

I don't think an ace is coming to be honest. Unless you consider Ohtani or one of the young kids to step up big. But I also don't think we need an ace to get us to the postseason. I don't think there are very many Aces in baseball. I don't know what ace would even be available for trade, and if they were I don't think the Angels would be willing to part with the necessary pieces to get said ace. Adell is off limits and I don't think a combination of Marsh or Rengifo will move the needle for a team trading an Ace. 

What ace do you see being available before the trade deadline this season? 

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don't think an ace is coming to be honest. Unless you consider Ohtani or one of the young kids to step up big. But I also don't think we need an ace to get us to the postseason. I don't think there are very many Aces in baseball. I don't know what ace would even be available for trade, and if they were I don't think the Angels would be willing to part with the necessary pieces to get said ace. Adell is off limits and I don't think a combination of Marsh or Rengifo will move the needle for a team trading an Ace. 

What ace do you see being available before the trade deadline this season? 

Well i guess that depends how you define ace.
One guy i have an eye on is Marcus Stroman.   If the Mets fall out of it, hes in  walk year, big Trout fan, something to keep an eye on.   I suspect Clevinger will still be in play as the Indians fall away as well. 
More will pop up as teams see where they are in the mix. 

9 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well i guess that depends how you define ace.
One guy i have an eye on is Marcus Stroman.   If the Mets fall out of it, hes in  walk year, big Trout fan, something to keep an eye on.   I suspect Clevinger will still be in play as the Indians fall away as well. 
More will pop up as teams see where they are in the mix. 

I don't know much about Stroman or his contract. But just giving a eye to his stats I wouldn't really consider him an ace. In 2018 he went 4-9 and had a 5.5 era. He's still young and had good numbers last year. But for me an Ace is someone who has done it for a long period of time or at least maybe 3 years of being dominant. I'd consider Clevinger more of an Ace, but we were rumored to be in on him this off season but the price for him was too high for our liking. If the Indians do want to trade him at the deadline, I see other teams being more willing to part with assets that we are either not willing to or don't have the assets necessary. Like I said I think Adell is off limits and I don't view Rengifo as something special. So Marsh and a couple something else? I just don't see Eppler making that trade. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

We could almost replicate what was lost in the non trade by signing Walker and Puig... emphasis on almost.
I'm going to withhold anger over it, its pointless, ST starts in a weeks so i'm back to how to make the club better.
Although, at this point, to be honest, barring another trade i think we are what we are for 20. 

Wow. Uh, no. Walker and Puig are fringe major leaguers (in Walker’s case, not even fringe since he can’t throw a heater with more velocity than Weaver). Puig has been a meh outfielder for years with serious maturity and clubhouse issues whose skills just don’t come close to making him worth keeping.

Pederson is an elite platoon player. He puts up moto numbers against righties. Puig does not. Stripling puts up near-ace quality pitching in lower inning totals. Walker at this point can’t even get a rotation spot. Anywhere.

25 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Wow. Uh, no. Walker and Puig are fringe major leaguers (in Walker’s case, not even fringe since he can’t throw a heater with more velocity than Weaver). Puig has been a meh outfielder for years with serious maturity and clubhouse issues whose skills just don’t come close to making him worth keeping.

Pederson is an elite platoon player. He puts up moto numbers against righties. Puig does not. Stripling puts up near-ace quality pitching in lower inning totals. Walker at this point can’t even get a rotation spot. Anywhere.

"emphasis on almost"  🙂

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Inshallah, if we get  an ace at the deadline that would be incredible and very much mission accomplished for Eppler.  

24 minutes ago, floplag said:

"emphasis on almost"  🙂

95 cents is almost a dollar. Puig has been closer to Brian Goodwin the last five years. Better than replacement level, but more fourth OF on a good team or okay corner outfield on a bad team. Joc has been an above average major league outfielder three of the last four years. Somewhere between average and all star. 

Walker used to be okay, but he has no fastball currently. He can’t even get a major league contract. Stripling has never put up a 4 ERA season. And he’s under contract for three years.

Neither Walker or Puig has much interest right now. Acquiring either Pederson or Stripling would be a nice deal. Getting both? It made us *a lot* better.  Seriously, f Arte. I’m done with him right now. Everyone who is laughing at this not going through is insanely ignorant. This was an incredible deal gone because of Arte’s petulance.

The only way you could even make the comparison between the two is to be completely ignorant of any of their performances. There is no “almost” here. That’s like saying Boyd is almost deGrom. Or Gardner is almost Trout. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

95 cents is almost a dollar. Puig has been closer to Brian Goodwin the last five years. Better than replacement level, but more fourth OF on a good team or okay corner outfield on a bad team. Joc has been an above average major league outfielder three of the last four years. Somewhere between average and all star. 

Walker used to be okay, but he has no fastball currently. He can’t even get a major league contract. Stripling has never put up a 4 ERA season. And he’s under contract for three years.

Neither Walker or Puig has much interest right now. Acquiring either Pederson or Stripling would be a nice deal. Getting both? It made us *a lot* better.  Seriously, f Arte. I’m done with him right now. Everyone who is laughing at this not going through is insanely ignorant. This was an incredible deal gone because of Arte’s petulance.

The only way you could even make the comparison between the two is to be completely ignorant of any of their performances. There is no “almost” here. That’s like saying Boyd is almost deGrom. Or Gardner is almost Trout. 

And yet would still be upgrades.
Look im not trying to compare them ok, can we stop that argument.  Im just saying we could make similar moves not on the same level.
I guess fuck it though lets just go to ST with what we have since no one appears to get who they want and hates every other idea. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Not even close. Joc hit 36 bombs in a platoon role.  We need lefty power.  Strip would easily be a number 3. Arte fd this up big time.