• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who do you most blame for *the trade* falling apart?

Taylor

Who do you blame?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you most blame?

• Eppler/Arte
    • The Dodgers
    • The Red Sox for delaying the other trade
    • The Twins for delaying the other trade
    • Nobody
    • Other

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

None of this Arte narrative makes any sense unless there is another significant detail we don’t know.

In isolation, we are supposed to believe that Arte killed a deal that would help the team win against the consensus opinion of the front office because he got tired of waiting?

Really?

Isn’t it far more likely that maybe in the process of discussing all the iterations of the deal to get it over the hump, that the Angels were asked to give up more (or different players) and they decided to pass on the revised deal?

I mean if the trade went down and we suddenly heard a new prospect name from the Angels involved, the Arte narrative would be he got so impatient that he recklessly threw in too much.

Arte probably deserves some of the criticism for being reactive in the past, but this speculative narrative that he is the cause of problems at every turn is stupid.

I would also note that just like politicians and movie stars, every baseball organization has one or more "spin doctors' (public relations folks) on the books to push out narratives and stories favorable to their organizations. I take everything with a goddamn grain of salt nowadays because you have to get your information from MORE than one verified source. Rosenthal and Fabian both work for the Athletic and are in my eyes reliable sources but you need to trust but verify, particularly in this Age of Disinformation.

I'd like to see more from someone like Jeff Passan or better yet Jeff Fletcher.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So to be clear as day, Eppler does NOT say in any way that Arte’s impatience or frustration had anything to do with the deal not happening.

Well to be clear he didn't say much at all. If true Eppler isn't going to throw his boss under the bus. If untrue he really isn't going to win the public perception anyway if he says the reports are false Arte didn't kill the deal etc. People's minds are already made up, Eppler is in a lose lose situation with whatever he said. He said nothing, and this was probably the best course of action he could have taken. The deal didn't happen oh well time to move on. 

Yes but those reports dont address the why.
If he pulled out just from impatience, thats just flat asinine.
If he pulled out due to them asking for more, completely different story. 
I realize they are under no obligation to tell us anything more than they have, but for me, i think we deserve a little more in this case aside from the media running with a story that it was all on us and our owner killed it in a childish fit. 

Just now, Warfarin said:

Arte is his boss, there is zero chance Eppler is going to throw his boss under the bus here, lol.  He'd be fired before the day ended.

You miss my point.  My point is there is literally NO actual evidence that Arte’s impatience or frustration killed the deal.

All we have is Rosenthal saying a “source” says so.

Sorry but I am not giving that any credibility when it doesn’t really make any sense.

Unless you just think Arte is nuts.  And I don’t think he is nuts. 

Also, I think this is one of those non-deals we wouldn’t have ever heard about if this was, say, 20 years ago. People have an insatiable hunger for information (where’s the Short Circuit “input” gif?) that professionals who cover the sport are over reporting on things just to get it out there, so much so that they’re going to jump the gun from time to time. It’s easy to trash those guys for doing it, but we as fans are kind of demanding it.

The thing that bothers me here is that the media pundits are running with the whole "Angels backed out" thing, but no one is saying anything about why aside from Arte's impatience.  
One the one hand this makes no sense that he would do that after wating as long as he had and potentially hurting the team, but, on the other hand I would think that if it were something else, he would want to set that straight, wouldnt you?
At this point im actually starting the think its possible thats exactly what happened, and i for one will not be happy with that. 
If true that hurts us for more than just this trade moving forward... i really hope its not but literally nothing else is being said. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

At this point, I blame Arte for being a petulant child and Boston for screwing up the first deal.

Eppler went out and improved 5e team and Arte blew it because he can’t deal with waiting like the rest of us. What a pathetic, way for this all to end. F Arte. 

This is highly overreactive and contains a complete lack of insider knowledge of what actually occurred. The only thing we know, via reporting, is that Arte nixed the deal. For all we know, the Dodgers could have flipped around and said, "No we don't want Rengifo now, we want Marsh" and I'd be fully on-board with Moreno telling them to fuck off in that scenario.

I can’t wait for the next trade that involves any significant players, where:

1). Half of Angel fans won’t like the deal

2). Many will conclude the Angels overpaid

3). “Sources say” the lopsided deal was driven by Arte to do something out of reckless desperation to try to recover from him messing up the Stripling/Pederson deal

This stuff is so predictable.

7 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Sure sounds like Arte.

How so?

Are you basing this statement on other data points where Arte apparently lost his patience? Can you point me to those instances and the number of times it has happened and been publicly reported by legitimate baseball writers and publications so that we can see what the sample size is of Moreno's temperament issues?

I say all of this because I don't believe there is a previous instance where Arte pulled the plug on a deal because of a supposed, detracted engagement that wasn't being consummated to his liking and even if there are a couple, those don't constitute a sample size worth caring about.

Fuck I am turning into some hybrid Lou/Stradling, goddamit.

I highly doubt every time Arte gets flak or credit, the media is just making up a story.  His involvement has been discussed many times.  Clearly, there's something there.  It's definitely clear he doesn't like people backing out of deals and he acts somewhat irrationally .... liked when he signed a drug addict but wanted the contract voided after the drug addict relapsed. 

2 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Look, I like all (most) of you guys but the Arte nutswinging blows my mind.

Arte is far from a perfect owner.  I am simply saying these “sources say” stories are probably correct only a fraction of the time.

In today’s digital news environment, the need for content overwhelms any true journalistic discipline.

Let me say my point another way.

If Arte Moreno was secretly in a coma for this whole episode, the second the deal fell apart without a true explanation, we would get hit with “sources say” Arte was the one that pulled the plug.

That’s a fact.

Now we may find out that it was Arte at some point, but right now we don’t know because we have the exact speculative story I would expect even if Arte was passed out drunk entirely unaware of the deal in the first place.

The Arte narrative will remain omnipresent in every episode regardless of when it is or is not true in that episode.

3 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Here is an interesting question: do you pronounce it Omni-present, like 2 words or “om-nip-pressent” like omnipotent?  I like the second option.

If I didn't know anything else about you and had only what you posted above to go on, I'd be 90% sure you're a psychopath.