• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Will Win the World Series In 2020

25 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Just letting everybody know what is going to happen. Feel free to take it to the bank. This team reminds me a lot of the 2002 team. 2002.... 2020. Get it!

Good Manager

Good Offense

Good Bullpen

Average Starting Pitching

Thanks for reading! Bump this in November!

Just one problem with your prediction.  AVERAGE STARTING PITCHING doesn’t get you to the World Series, let alone winning it.  

The playoffs would be a good start though.

3 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Just one problem with your prediction.  AVERAGE STARTING PITCHING doesn’t get you to the World Series, let alone winning it.  

The playoffs would be a good start though.

I would never say never, as I'm sure there is a historical precedent for an average rotation getting to the WS, and the 2002 staff was good but not great. But I do think you highlight something, that I think will determine how far the Angels go in 2020: where the rotation is relative to average.

If the rotation is below average, this is a .500 team again.

If the rotation is average, this is an 85-90 win team but misses the playoffs.

If the rotation is good, this is a 90-95 win team and a wildcard contender.

If the rotation is very good, this is a 95-100 win team and the team reaches the playoffs and is a WS contender.

If the rotation is great, this is a 100+  win team and the Angels are arguably the best team in baseball.

As the rotation stands now--without Stripling--I'd say the chances of the five categories happening are something like 40/40/15/<5/<1 of happening. If the Stripling trade happens, I'd allocate 5-10 percentage points from "below average" to the better categories.

6 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Just letting everybody know what is going to happen. Feel free to take it to the bank. This team reminds me a lot of the 2002 team. 2002.... 2020. Get it!

Good Manager

Good Offense

Good Bullpen

Coming from an M's fan, I appreciate it. 

I think you're right though if the team stays healthy. 

Like @Angelsjunky said, if the team has good starting pitching they could definitely win the division or at the very least get the wild card. 

If this trade goes through, I'm thinking you can rank our starting pitching as "Good" with Ohtani, Stripling, Teheran, Canning, Heaney is solid enough IMO. Add in Bundy and Sandoval and man, I'm really loving the depth. 

49 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is what happens when a big trade has been put on hold for several days. 

I think there's a bunch of our guys hitting refresh on here all through the day/night and they lack sleep, so they're delirious. 

That's definitely a big part of it. Also, football is over and the NBA has become unwatchable. I always look forward to baseball starting up again; other than 2012, I'm not sure if I've ever looked forward more than I do right now.

40 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

That's definitely a big part of it. Also, football is over and the NBA has become unwatchable. I always look forward to baseball starting up again; other than 2012, I'm not sure if I've ever looked forward more than I do right now.

Yeah dude, I can't remember the last time I watched an NBA game. 15 or so years, if not longer. 

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

This place is getting real weird lately

Ha! I made almost an identical post a couple weeks ago, before the big trade was announced.

I think it has to do with where we are in the offseason, our hype for the upcoming season and the feeling that we are still a couple pieces away. The trade being in limbo really amplifies it.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, Griffey's Corner said:

Good Manager

Good Offense

Good Bullpen

Yeah there are similarities. I like this offense better but the 2002 team didn't really have any holes on the diamond. Health and reasonable production will be key from guys like Upton, and whoever gets the bulk of the at bats at first base.

The defense is similarly good across both squads. 2002 was very much a defensive oriented team, which helped masked the shortcomings in the rotation.

The 2002 rotation managed to find a good group of solid innings eaters with guys like Washburn and Lackey pitching like respectable top of the rotation starters. We could match that this year but some of these guys could fizzle as well.

The effectiveness of the current bullpen remains to be seen, I think they will do well this year but this is the difference maker for me. The 2002 pen was as elite as it gets. Percival, Rodriguez, Donnelly, Shields, Webber were all as good or better than anyone we have now, and I would put the 2002 team's success on their backs. I don't think it's even possible for this team to approach that level so this is where I become skeptical. Of course the 2002 pen looked no better than our current pen at this point in the 2002 pre-season.