failos

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

if the deal fell apart because of outside reasons, then fine, things happen. if it's because of another organization and we got screwed, they don't owe the angels an obligation to get better. if the deal fell apart because arte moreno threw a tantrum and couldn't hold his milk, then i do have a problem with that because he does owe an obligation to the angels to get better. i'll wait and see what happens/happened because i'm a big boy and i've been in business for a long fucking time and i can hold my tongue even when somebody pisses me off, especially when it's to my benefit to stew silently. i would hope arte in his years of experience has learned the same lessons, otherwise i'll start to believe some of those rumors about his meddling over the years.

Also find it a bit silly when I see comments like "why aren't the Angels/Arte/Eppler/the front office saying something about the trade?" when, you know, what if they didn't leak anything about the trade, would have preferred they kept it under wraps but now have this nonsense distraction.  Eppler seems to work in stealth and, while you give up some control when your plan involves 4 teams, two of which are the biggest in baseball in terms of fish wrap hype, I don't think it was his style or goal to have it out in the wild.  Or, to put it another way, why address anything when you can just shrug and say, "Ya got me, ask the Dodgers".

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Specifics are multiple people reported Arte was fuming and pulled out. 

That's enough. As the owner he needs to keep quiet and stay out. I appreciate his willingness to spend and expand the Angel experience but he's proved multiple times he is a terrible baseball GM. Did any reports surface about the Twins' owner emotions? No. They were flexible and got the deal done. 

Which multiple people?  

Rosenthal quotes Heyman as the source of the Arte talk.  The LA Times Dodgers' beat writer's only source is the Rosenthal tweet.  Maybe @Jeff Fletcherhas heard it from someplace else which would at least make it more than just Heyman being Heyman but right now he's the only person claiming to have actually heard it.  

It may very well be Arte and really wouldn't come as a shock but nobody on either team has officially commented.   Like I said earlier, I'm just waiting for actual reported news before deciding who to be mad at.

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

As some of you guys already stated in the other thread:

he Mookie Betts trade is in the books, but now that Joc Pederson is no longer headed to the Angels, the Dodgers will have to sort out their 40-man roster, tweets Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register. The Dodgers have 42 players on their 40-man roster at present. Finding a new trade partner for Pederson and/or Ross Striplingmight be the most obvious answer, but the Dodgers may prefer not to rush a transaction of that magnitude. Speculatively speaking, Tyler White could find himself on the chopping block, with Kyle Garlick, Zach McKinstry and Edwin Rios other non-established big leaguers whom the Dodgers may need to consider moving or exposing to waivers.

traderumors

The more I think about it the more this one hurts. I was more than prepared to move into Spring Training with the team we had before this trade happened. I really believed with our roster we would be wild card contenders.Then the trade news got out and I got to thinking how much more dynamic our offense would be with Joc in the lineup and Stripling breaking out as a full-time starting pitcher (also adding in another prospect in Pages). This move would have pushed us to at the very least wild-card favorites. Then to have that all taken away..... To go back to "just being" wild card contenders feels so wrong. This shit sucks. I REALLY hope Eppler and company have something up their sleeve. Because we got a taste of how good this team can be with just one more move and it's a tough pull to swallow to go back.

17 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Love to pull a trade offer that improves the quality of your MLB team that hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade despite having the best player in MLB for much of that time. Take that, dodgers!

1AC4BB3B-654A-4F2C-A507-F2C1D40F4D4C.gif

I don’t even know what to say at this point

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

"LAD saw it unnecessary " 

Rosenthal was just on MLBN and was saying that the Angels pulled the deal first. Might've had a chance to revive it but the Dodgers had decided to move on by that point. Not sure if that means that if the Angels had never pulled their offer that the deal would have went down or not.

2 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Rosenthal was just on MLBN and was saying that the Angels pulled the deal first. Might've had a chance to revive it but the Dodgers had decided to move on by that point. Not sure if that means that if the Angels had never pulled their offer that the deal would have went down or not.

Why would the dodgers make a trade that they deemed unnecessary? 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

Why would the dodgers make a trade that they deemed unnecessary? 

Why does Arte have to interfere with his GMs? His little outburst clearly didn’t help things

1 minute ago, failos said:

Why does Arte have to interfere with his GMs? His little outburst clearly didn’t help things

I don't know. Perhaps because he's the owner? 

10 hours ago, TroutField said:

I mean Eppler seemed to agree on a deal that was contingent on another deal. Probably sounded fine because how often does a trade fall apart when it’s that far along? But I’m sure he learned a lesson. 

Are you sure, Senator Collins?

I find it hard to believe Arte gets involved in smaller deals like this.  Now us as fanatics see this as a big deal.  But Arte has really only surfaced on big money long term deals with Star players.  Did we hear about Arte’s involvement when they sign Teheran?  Because that’s the same amount of money being paid to these two.  Or with the Bundy trade?  If Arte got frustrated he’s no different than all of us.  Since EVERYTHING changed on the Dodgers end I believe they either tried to alter it or pulled out of it.  

6 hours ago, calscuf said:

So if it somehow actually happened, do we boo Stripling?

I wouldn't boo the guy. He is on a team that has won their division every year for the past 7 or 8 years (or whatever) and been to the world series multiple times and deep into the playoff regularly. He was about to be traded to a team that hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade.  But it was a dumb move on his part tweeting that since the deal could be back on, knowing how this thing is going.

6 hours ago, rafibomb said:

The more I think about it the more this one hurts. I was more than prepared to move into Spring Training with the team we had before this trade happened. I really believed with our roster we would be wild card contenders.Then the trade news got out and I got to thinking how much more dynamic our offense would be with Joc in the lineup and Stripling breaking out as a full-time starting pitcher (also adding in another prospect in Pages). This move would have pushed us to at the very least wild-card favorites. Then to have that all taken away..... To go back to "just being" wild card contenders feels so wrong. This shit sucks. I REALLY hope Eppler and company have something up their sleeve. Because we got a taste of how good this team can be with just one more move and it's a tough pull to swallow to go back.

Very good post. Exactly how I feel too. After seeing what could have been, it really does suck.

I don’t know what would be the Dodgers’ motivation to pull out of this trade. The Sox trade didn’t really change much regarding the complexion of their big league team, other than to result in receipt of a pen arm (which has no impact on the acquisition of Rengifo). If anything, the loss of Downs should increase their desire to acquire Rengifo.