failos

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

I’ll agree that the speculation on Rengifo’s value can fairly cover a pretty wide range of opinions.  I think that he’s done nothing other then demonstrate that evaluators have often short changed him.  It’s a fine deal, so long as the prospect we're sending back isn’t too far up in our group.  We’ll see.  I think it’s wild that we still have almost no inkling about that. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’ll agree that the speculation on Rengifo’s value can fairly cover a pretty wide range of opinions.  I think that he’s done nothing other then demonstrate that evaluators have often short changed him.  It’s a fine deal, so long as the prospect we're sending back isn’t too far up in our group.  We’ll see.  I think it’s wild that we still have almost no inkling about that. 

I think what we are finding out is that the Angels and Dodgers both have front offices with virtually no leaks.  

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I absolutely want this trade to happen.  

As do I. I think this trade - provided no major league talent beyond Rengifo is headed to the Dodgers - has the potential to benefit the Angels more than any other transaction they have made this offseason. I think it takes them from being a team that is good on paper with a chance to compete, to a team that is very good with a legit chance of competing for the division. 

36 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What kind of mealy-mouthed nonsense is this?  "Asked" him to sit?  "Being a good teammate?" 

“Joc, your numbers against lefties aren’t good, so we’re not going to play you much against them. It’ll help us win more games.”

”Ok, I want us to win more.”

~~~

”Joc can’t hit lefties. He’s just a platoon player.”

Point is that while, yes, he ultimately has no choice how he’s used, he was asked to be willing to accept not even having the opportunity to even try to hit against lefties.

Basically, he didn’t fight for an everyday role for himself because he’d been asked to be a team player and they held that against him. He should’ve seen that coming - at the end of the day, it is a business - but it’s still a lame way to treat a guy who has been a good teammate. 

If they can keep all four teams from leaking this long, they never should have revealed anything till it was finalized. And passing the physicals is still part of the due diligence before a deal is official.

But it seems that the other deals in whatever form now have to come first and then maybe the Dodgers will go through with Angels deal. If Pederson was a right handed batter he might have been tempting to the Red Sox.

4 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

If they can keep all four teams from leaking this long, they never should have revealed anything till it was finalized. And passing the physicals is still part of the due diligence before a deal is official.

Justin Turner has been on twitter telling reporters to stop making a mess of deals before they're completed and that nobody cares who breaks the story first. he's absolutely correct on this, too.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're ruining your persona as the edgy Cuban baseball insider, posting this 50's kid band sh*t! And by 50's I mean 1850's. 😄

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

Justin Turner has been on twitter telling reporters to stop making a mess of deals before they're completed and that nobody cares who breaks the story first. he's absolutely correct on this, too.

He also said that no should report on anything until it's official.

How do you guys feel about that one?

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

“Joc, your numbers against lefties aren’t good, so we’re not going to play you much against them. It’ll help us win more games.”

~~~

Point is that while, yes, he ultimately has no choice how he’s used, he was asked to be willing to accept not even having the opportunity to even try to hit against lefties.

Basically, he didn’t fight for an everyday role for himself because he’d been asked to be a team player and they held that against him. He should’ve seen that coming - at the end of the day, it is a business - but it’s still a lame way to treat a guy who has been a good teammate. 

judge judy eye roll GIF

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

He also said that no should report on anything until it's official.

How do you guys feel about that one?

I think it's absurd.  

how often do reported deals end up like this?  

this is a one off.  

let's neuter the entire hot stove because something weird happened one time.  

@Jeff Fletcher is there any indication from the Angels that they've backed out of this deal? I know Heyman said something about Arte being pissed. 

I'm guessing they're just waiting for the three team deal to wrap up before they can fully announce the Angels part of the trade. 

Also, why aren't they calling this a 4-team trade since essentially the Dodgers don't make the Betts/Price deal unless they can offload Pederson's $$?

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Jeff Fletcher is there any indication from the Angels that they've backed out of this deal? I know Heyman said something about Arte being pissed. 

I'm guessing they're just waiting for the three team deal to wrap up before they can fully announce the Angels part of the trade. 

Also, why aren't they calling this a 4-team trade since essentially the Dodgers don't make the Betts/Price deal unless they can offload Pederson's $$?

I don’t believe this part is true Chuck.  They’ll be able to trade Pederson regardless if it’s to the Angels.  

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

~~~

if he didn't have a .572 career ops vs. lefties in 375 PA then they wouldn't be sitting him vs. lefties. 

he wouldn't have 126 ops+ over the last two years if he had been facing lefties the whole time and therefore likely wouldn't be making what he's set to make.  

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

There is no indication that the Angels have backed out. I can't imagine the motivation of either the Angels or Dodgers has changed enough to affect their deal, at least unless that trade gets really blown up and rebuilt from scratch.

This trade is related to the other one, but it's a separate trade, so it's not a 4-team deal. The difference is that the Twins and Red Sox don't have to have any discussions with the Angels. I imagine they've explored the idea of the Angels replacing the Twins as the third team, but until that happens, it's just 2 trades, a three-way (BOS-LAD-MIN) and a 2-team (LAD-LAA).

Also, it looks like now it's become 3 trades, a 2-way with LAD-MIN, a 2-way with LAD-BOS and a 2-way with LAD-LAA.