• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

I just think it’s unfortunate that apparently there hasn’t really been a trade that’s materialized for a higher end pitcher.  I would  have greatly preferred a deal with Rengifo resulting in a guy who’s profile is more concrete then Stripling.  It is what it is.  Apparently this is what they’ve been able to do.  It’s great to have another solid arm.  At worst it’s good depth.  Still say that they should pursue other deals until the second the Dodgers are ready to send docs over to the league office. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think I read that over the history of the arbitration process there hasn’t been a single player who has lost an arbitration case and has then signed a long term contract with that team.  

Let me know if I'm wrong, but I believe the Angels locked Trout in (the first time) while he was still arbitration eligible? So instead of trying to nickle and dime him they realized how great he was, and started paying him as such.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I just think it’s unfortunate that apparently there hasn’t really been a trade that’s materialized for a higher end pitcher.  I would  have greatly preferred a deal with Rengifo resulting in a guy who’s profile is more concrete then Stripling.  It is what it is.  Apparently this is what they’ve been able to do.  It’s great to have another solid arm.  At worst it’s good depth.  Still say that they should pursue other deals until the second the Dodgers are ready to send docs over to the league office. 

Even getting a guy like Stripling and his 3 years of control for Rengifo was the result of a perfect storm.  I like Rengifo, but he isn’t the centerpiece of a good starting pitcher with any kind of control.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think I read that over the history of the arbitration process there hasn’t been a single player who has lost an arbitration case and has then signed a long term contract with that team.  

I have heard similar things also.  Even if the player wins, a large % of those players end up getting traded.  Might be my NHL memory talking though, because I know in the NHL, if it gets to arbitration, regardless of who wins, the player is usually not on the team by seasons end.  

That's how ugly these arbitration hearings can get.  Pretty much both sides throwing the good, the bad, and the ugly at each other.

I’ll agree that the speculation on Rengifo’s value can fairly cover a pretty wide range of opinions.  I think that he’s done nothing other then demonstrate that evaluators have often short changed him.  It’s a fine deal, so long as the prospect we're sending back isn’t too far up in our group.  We’ll see.  I think it’s wild that we still have almost no inkling about that. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’ll agree that the speculation on Rengifo’s value can fairly cover a pretty wide range of opinions.  I think that he’s done nothing other then demonstrate that evaluators have often short changed him.  It’s a fine deal, so long as the prospect we're sending back isn’t too far up in our group.  We’ll see.  I think it’s wild that we still have almost no inkling about that. 

I think what we are finding out is that the Angels and Dodgers both have front offices with virtually no leaks.  

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I absolutely want this trade to happen.  

As do I. I think this trade - provided no major league talent beyond Rengifo is headed to the Dodgers - has the potential to benefit the Angels more than any other transaction they have made this offseason. I think it takes them from being a team that is good on paper with a chance to compete, to a team that is very good with a legit chance of competing for the division. 

36 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What kind of mealy-mouthed nonsense is this?  "Asked" him to sit?  "Being a good teammate?" 

“Joc, your numbers against lefties aren’t good, so we’re not going to play you much against them. It’ll help us win more games.”

”Ok, I want us to win more.”

~~~

”Joc can’t hit lefties. He’s just a platoon player.”

Point is that while, yes, he ultimately has no choice how he’s used, he was asked to be willing to accept not even having the opportunity to even try to hit against lefties.

Basically, he didn’t fight for an everyday role for himself because he’d been asked to be a team player and they held that against him. He should’ve seen that coming - at the end of the day, it is a business - but it’s still a lame way to treat a guy who has been a good teammate. 

If they can keep all four teams from leaking this long, they never should have revealed anything till it was finalized. And passing the physicals is still part of the due diligence before a deal is official.

But it seems that the other deals in whatever form now have to come first and then maybe the Dodgers will go through with Angels deal. If Pederson was a right handed batter he might have been tempting to the Red Sox.

4 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

If they can keep all four teams from leaking this long, they never should have revealed anything till it was finalized. And passing the physicals is still part of the due diligence before a deal is official.

Justin Turner has been on twitter telling reporters to stop making a mess of deals before they're completed and that nobody cares who breaks the story first. he's absolutely correct on this, too.