• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

Twins reportedly pulling out of deal

According to two sources with knowledge of talks, the Twins no longer expect to work out their end of a proposed three-way deal involving the Red Sox and Dodgers, a deal in which the Twins were to receive righthander Kenta Maeda from the Dodgers while sending righthanded flamethrower Brusdar Graterol to the Red Sox.

News about the deal broke Tuesday night as the clubs exchanged medical records, a standard procedure before trades being finalized. Boston, after examining Graterol’s medical history, expressed concerns that the young righthander’s long-term role would be as a reliever and not a starter. So the Red Sox asked the Twins to add an additional Top 10 prospect to their part of the deal.

While the Twins were excited about adding Maeda to their rotation, they were against sending another top prospect to Boston. After more conversations proved fruitless, the Twins on Saturday became resigned to the fact that they were not getting Maeda.

Meanwhile, Graterol, looking relaxed and smiling as he spoke with coaches and teammates, threw in the bullpen for about 12 minutes on Saturday at the CenturyLink Sports Complex. He even flipped a baseball to an onlooker following his session. The Twins plan to use Graterol in the bullpen, where his 102 miles per hour fastball will be an asset. Graterol was not made available to comment after his session.

The Twins’ role in the deal would have allowed Boston to send Betts, lefthander David Price and cash to Los Angeles in exchange for outfield prospect Alex Verdugo. The Dodgers, in anticipation of that trade going through, lined up a deal with the Angels in which they send outfielder Joc Pederson and righthander Ross Stripling across town for infielder Luis Rengifo.

The Twins pulling out could topple all those plans in Jenga-like fashion, unless the Dodgers and Red Sox find a replacement for the Twins. Those close to the situation expressed their frustration as the drama surrounding one of the game’s elite players unfolded. Reports had Angels owner Artie Moreno upset about the deal not being completed. Scott Boras, Graterol’s agent, took issue with Boston’s concerns about the health of his client.

“To suggest that this player is not healthy going forward, or has any form of substantive medical defect that would in any way damage his career, all of that is false. This is a scant supposition created by medical review, by someone who has never seen him physically,” Boras told the Boston Globe.

Tony Clark, head of the player’s association, even released a statement. “The events of this last week have unfairly put several Players’ lives in a state of limbo,” he said.

Despite reports about the proposed deal dominating sports news talk for several days, Graterol still worked out at the Twins facility. One person who has been around Graterol this week said he has been professional in getting his work done but it was clear the developments were on his mind.

Edited by rafibomb

Just now, Blarg said:

Feels like more over reporting of specualtion over a trade instead of an actual trade in place. 

how is it any fault of the journalists? there was a trade, they reported the trade and the known names. they haven't been wrong about any specific. there's no evidence that they reported it early or incorrectly. there is either a problem with the medicals or there is something hinky going on in boston. it's totally out of line to blame "the media".

if i was the angels and i could get graterol, then i would do so. who is our equal in prospect value? i think graterol was like #83 on the top 100. so our top prospects would seem to be unreachable. i know we are offense heavy, so we likely don't have the pitcher equivalent. 

13 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Twins reportedly pulling out of deal

With the Twins pulling out, and the Dodgers and Sox looking to do a simple 2-team trade if they can't find a 3rd. I wonder if this means Maeda won't be traded which in turn will make Stripling unavailable. This is just horrible as Stripling is more important to our deal than Joc....

4 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

With the Twins pulling out, and the Dodgers and Sox looking to do a simple 2-team trade if they can't find a 3rd. I wonder if this means Maeda won't be traded which in turn will make Stripling unavailable. This is just horrible as Stripling is more important to our deal than Joc....

I don't see how if Maeda stayed Stripling would have to as well.

Maybe if the Dodgers didn't end up getting Price they would want to keep Stripling, but if a Betts trade happens Price will almost certainly be in it.

The Angels shouldn’t have any part in facilitating the Dodgers trade.  The Red Sox fucked up getting low balled.  That’s their problem. If the Dodgers want the deal done they can cough up their own prospects.  

enough is enough, the Angels should pull out of the deal.  The Dodgers shouldn’t have been trading when the other deal wasn’t done.  Rengifo is a valuable piece.  Work to get Jon Grey. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

The Angels shouldn’t have any part of facilitating the Dodgers trade.  The Red Sox fucked getting low balled.  That’s their problem. The Dodgers want the deal done they can cough up their own prospects.  

enough is enough the Angels should pull out of the deal.  They shouldn’t have been trading when the other deal wasn’t done.  Rengifo is a valuable piece.  Work to get Jon Grey. 

Give me a break.