• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

Frankly I don't understand the hate toward Taylor Ward, it is not his fault Dipoto drafted him so early. His Minor League offensive numbers are off-the-charts and he has limited, sporadic time in the Majors to-date. If he translates he will be an above average hitter that can probably play in the outfield corners, 1B, and a less-than-desirable 3B. He has shown a propensity to hit well from both sides of the plate too. To be honest with Upton not hitting LHP lately and adding Pederson who also doesn't hit LHP well (at all, he is horrible), having a hitter like Ward to platoon makes sense. However, there are other options like Goodwin who could hit decently well too and play better outfield defense probably.

Just saying, you need to detach Ward from Dipoto, he has the potential to be a viable Major League hitter and regular player (pick your position, even if it is 1B or DH).

1 minute ago, Throwman91 said:

I'm going to take this seriously and say, why the heck deal with the cheating Red Sox then?  And why not just trade directly with us?  Conspiracy shot down.

Well they're getting Boston's best player for essentially nothing. Plus they needed that trade as a cover for when they basically hand us Pederson and Stripling. Conspiracy back on.

Just now, ettin said:

Frankly I don't understand the hate toward Taylor Ward, it is not his fault Dipoto drafted him so early. His Minor League offensive numbers are off-the-charts and he has limited, sporadic time in the Majors to-date. If he translates he will be an above average hitter that can probably play in the outfield corners, 1B, and a less-than-desirable 3B. He has shown a propensity to hit well from both sides of the plate too. To be honest with Upton not hitting LHP lately and adding Pederson who also doesn't hit LHP well (at all, he is horrible), having a hitter like Ward to platoon makes sense. However, there are other options like Goodwin who could hit decently well too and play better outfield defense probably.

Just saying, you need to detach Ward from Dipoto, he has the potential to be a viable Major League hitter and regular player (pick your position, even if it is 1B or DH).

I don't hate him. I actually think he's a valuable bat off the bench. 

I think it's more a shot at Dipoto than Ward. I don't hate Baldoquin either. It isn't his fault Dipoto is special.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

seriously, this has become the most painful trade ever.  

day1:  Sweet!!!

day 2: Cool

day 3: Nice

day 4:  ok

day 5:  whatever

day 6:  'sorry, was I snoring?'

day 7:  what plays do you like

day 8:  is it further or farther?

day 9:  tony clark and scott boras weigh in

day 10:  I realize that it's probably the worst time of year for sports

day 11:  I clean out my garage.  

ha! i literally cleaned out my garage today, all the while checking in on the trade.

psychic caitriona balfe GIF by Outlander

28 minutes ago, ettin said:

My main concern is that it’s taken 8.5 years between college and MiLB, for Ward just to get to this point. Granted part of that is not being able to find a position he can play effectively enough.

2 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

If Pujols is in the starting lineup this team is not as good as it can be.  Period.

Dude can't even run.

Pujols was good against lefties in 2019 (worse against them in 17/18). If he can replicate that in 2020 he would make a good platoon with La Stella (assuming La Stella plays 1B in 2020)

Pujols vs RHP
Avg .236 OBP .299 SLG .387 OPS .686
Pujols vs LHP
Avg .261 OBP .315 SLG .515 OPS .830

La Stella vs RHP
Avg .306 OBP .358 SLG .522 OPS .880
La Stella vs LHP
Avg .265 OBP .315 SLG .398 OPS .712

53 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

We're all hoping it will be Rengifo + Ward and/or another throw-in, but I'm guessing we're going to be disappointed. We're not getting Stripling + Pederson + Pages without giving up something good. If its Rengifo + Ward + Suarez, we've made it through well. Assuming it won't be Adell/Marsh, I'm worried we're going to be saying goodbye to one of Rodriguez, Soriano, Adams, or Knowles.

Why would you be sad if we trade Knowles? Pages fills his spot and it means we kept Adams, Jackson, Marsh, Adell, Soriano, Rodriguez and Sandoval. 

Hell, give the Dodgers Rengifo, Ward, Knowles, Jones and Suarez and i'll still call it a major win. 

Let's be honest.... Ward has no spot, Pages replaces Knowles, Suarez was trumped by Sandoval and Jones doesn't have a spot either. 

9 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

assuming La Stella plays 1B in 2020)

One of the first things I’m going to write about in spring training is this. Soooo many people have just penciled him at 1B and he’s played 4 innings there. 

I think Thaiss or Walsh will play when Pujols isn’t at 1B. They are both LHBs too. 

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why would you be sad if we trade Knowles? Pages fills his spot and it means we kept Adams, Jackson, Marsh, Adell, Soriano, Rodriguez and Sandoval. 

Hell, give the Dodgers Rengifo, Ward, Knowles, Jones and Suarez and i'll still call it a major win. 

Let's be honest.... Ward has no spot, Pages replaces Knowles, Suarez was trumped by Sandoval and Jones doesn't have a spot either. 

Let’s just give them Marsh while we’re at it since we still have Adell and Adams. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

One of the first things I’m going to write about in spring training is this. Soooo many people have just penciled him at 1B and he’s played 4 innings there. 

I think Thaiss or Walsh will play when Pujols isn’t at 1B. They are both LHBs too. 

Who will be sitting most of the time in that case? Neither Fletcher or La Stella should be a platoon player based on last year’s numbers.

I gotta be honest, 1B being Pujols, Thaiss/Walsh most of the year would turn us from a top 3 offense to closer to 5-10. There’s no excuse for not having La Stella - a guy who plays a decent, albeit unspectacular, 2B/3B - sit over Pujols (or worse have Fletcher sit). Thaiss and Walsh would be nearly as idiotic. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Agree with Fletcher wholeheartedly. In the Primer Series I seriously suggested this is a chance for Walsh to shine in Spring Training in competition with Matt Thaiss and/or Taylor Ward.

La Stella will be a utility player only in my opinion barring injury.

Fletcher is the superior defender at 2B in every way shape and form. If he is not the starter, barring some bizarre trade for a new 2B, at the keystone I will be shell-shocked.