• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

btw, if it's not a salary dump then how else does it make sense to take on Pederson and his 8.5m?  People were struggling big time to justify this early in the thread.  The prevailing thought was that 'there has to be another move'.   Why not just do a Rengifo for Stripling deal?   That actually makes some sense.  

wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Halos move Pederson and eat a couple mil for another pitcher.  Pads, Phills, Indians, Cards or Mets could be candidates.  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

btw, if it's not a salary dump then how else does it make sense to take on Pederson and his 8.5m?  People were struggling big time to justify this early in the thread.  The prevailing thought was that 'there has to be another move'.   Why not just do a Rengifo for Stripling deal?   That actually makes some sense.  

wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Halos move Pederson and eat a couple mil for another pitcher.  Pads, Phills, Indians, Cards or Mets could be candidates.  

i'm not getting your meaning. if it's not a salary dump for the dodger, then how else does it make sense for the angels to take on pederson?

9 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'm not getting your meaning. if it's not a salary dump for the dodger, then how else does it make sense for the angels to take on pederson?

the Angels don't really need him.  Especially at 8.5 mil.  They've got Goodwin to fill and Adell a month away once the season starts.  You don't pay that kind of money to cover yourself on Adell when you have the pitching need we do.  You do it to get a pitcher.  

I love multi player trades. You hardly ever see them in any sports these days. 

That said, I just want to focus Pederson till everything else falls in place.

Years money and term? That's for the future. At least till the trade deadline. More will be known by then.

But purely based on the start of the season, this is a great addition. A high energy, enthusiastic, good locker room guy. Should bond well with Trout. Tremendous power. Especially when he pulls the ball. Remember the home run derby? 

A solid outfielder with some first base experience. Not a great experiment last year, but with work and experience he may be adequate for short term spot starts at first. Really a good right fielder who isn't afraid to bang into walls if necessary. If anything happens to Trout he is an experienced, decent center fielder. Hope this never has to happen.

He is a young emerging veteran entering his prime. He has been improving. Making better contact. Obviously better against righties but raw power to all fields.

Great to see the Angels being aggressive and loading up on hitting. That's how they will have to win.

If you can acquire a proven major league talent at a good price you have to do it. Rengifo is not as much an asset as Pederson is and allows Fletcher to specialize in one position. He will get in sync quickly with Simmons and do a good job.

The longer term ramifications get so complicated these days. Lots of big name stars in their prime seem to move around more than ever. But longer term, Pederson is younger than Upton, and even his first long term contract will be cheaper than what Upton costs. 

The Dodgers made another big deal with the Reds last year that was largely based on contractual/financial considerations. The big name outfielder Puig was one and done. Maybe Pederson will end up the same way. 

Regardless, Maddon has a nice tool box to draw from and mix and match a potentially devastating lineup every day. Pitching is already somewhat improved with more time for other changes. 

Adell will find his role in due course. Quite a risk to pencil him in as a starter before having any experience at all. No rush now, but let him get used to the major leagues with less pressure.

Now that football is over the smell of spring training is around the corner. Should be fun to get this team assembled and into action.

I get that this is slightly puzzling but I’m a huge fan of adding Pedersons power and patience to the lineup against righties. We needed a lefty bat BADLY.  If he can play 1st it would be huge too

Pederson 1B

Trout CF

Rendon 3B

Ohtani DH

Upton LF

Simmons SS

Adell RF

Castro C

Fletcher 2B

thats a lineup as good as anyone in baseball

9 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Damn. Well that definitely makes it more puzzling. Time will tell what’s going to happen. I guess I won’t be surprised by anything

2019 defensive stats, fwiw:

Pederson 149 innings -3 DRS
Pujols 860 innings -1 DRS

You probably don't want him there as a permanent fixture, but he's on a one year deal. Can he fill in there without losing games for you? Appears so.

Edit: It's also worth noting that he only started trying in earnest in mid-June and stopped by the end of July. Trying to pick up a new position in the middle of the season is generally not the best approach. Not really a surprise under the circumstances that it ended badly. If the Angels want him to play there on any regular basis, they'll probably have him work on it in ST.

I still think they'll more likely have La Stella working on 1B first. Pujols really shouldn't be in the lineup more than he has to be. La Stella, Fletcher, and Pederson should all be automatic starts over him. Obviously we'll see what happens in ST. La Stella has even less experience at 1B than Pederson - although at least he's played multiple infield positions, so theoretically it should come easier.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

It is funny how you guys make up a name in a trade then all seem to believe that guy is somehow part of the trade. The Dodgers have no reason to give up Stripling in this trade. None. 

He’s the only guy that fits the description in the trade rumor and he removed the Dodgers from his twitter bio. It would be a shock if he’s not in the trade at this point. Doesn’t matter if you think he makes sense. The signs all indicate he’s being moved.

Just now, Ochocinco! said:

Is Stripling even considered a starting pitcher? Dude has only thrown over a 100 innings once in his career. Hurt just as often as any other Angel pitcher over the past few years...

Genuinely asking because I try my hardest not to follow dodger baseball 

Looking on Fangraphs, it appears he goes back and forth depending on need. But he’s never had an ERA over four. So, there’s that. 

IF he is involved in the trade. I just don’t see where he fits? I’m assuming Eppler would want him in the rotation? Could we officially go to a 6 man rotation...

Unless Eppler has something planned to package a few guys for a front end pitcher finally this just seems odd. A lot of pitching depth is nice but when it’s a lot of average/mediocre pitching depth... it’s not saying much.

Ohtani

Heaney

Stripling

Canning

Bundy

Julio

Sandoval/Suarez/ Barria 

5 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

IF he is involved in the trade. I just don’t see where he fits? I’m assuming Eppler would want him in the rotation? Could we officially go to a 6 man rotation...

Unless Eppler has something planned to package a few guys for a front end pitcher finally this just seems odd. A lot of pitching depth is nice but when it’s a lot of average/mediocre pitching depth... it’s not saying much.

Ohtani

Heaney

Stripling

Canning

Bundy

Julio

Sandoval/Suarez/ Barria 

In this scenario, Canning having options would put him in the minors. Although Ohtani is expected to be limited and may not pitch at the beginning of the season. There are inevitably injuries, so you want your 6-8 starters to be guys you’re comfortable giving the ball to. In this case, I’d rather Canning, Sandoval, and whoever else are our 6-8 guys.