• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Roster Spot Battles as Spring Training is Near

BTH

Now that the Angels non-roster invitees have been announced and they seem to be done making moves, it seems like we have a pretty good idea of the players who will be competing for roster spots. (Note: I am including everyone who is invited to spring training. There is probably little to no chance that someone like Elliot Soto makes the roster, but he was invited to spring training so he is included)

I am assuming that the following players are locks to make the 26-man roster:

Catchers: Jason Castro

Infielders: David Fletcher, Tommy La Stella, Albert Pujols, Anthony Rendon, and Andrelton Simmons.

Outfielders: Brian Goodwin, Mike Trout, and Justin Upton.

Two-Way Players: Shohei Ohtani

Starting Pitchers: Dylan Bundy, Griffin Canning, Andrew Heaney, and Julio Teheran

Relief Pitchers: Cam Bedrosian, Ty Buttrey, Keynan Middleton, Noe Ramirez, and Hansel Robles.

Which would leave the following roster spots up for battle, with the competitors for the spots listed:

1 Open Starting Pitcher Spot: Matt Andriese, Jaime Barria, Adrian DeHorta, Luiz Gohara, Felix Pena, Dillon Peters, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez, and Jake Thompson.

3 Open Relief Pitcher Spots: Justin Anderson, Luke Bard, Jacob Barnes, Taylor Cole, Kyle Keller, Parker Markel, Mike Mayers, Hoby Milner, Neil Ramirez, and Jose Rodriguez

1 Open Catcher Spot: Anthony Bemboom, Jose Briceno, and Max Stassi.

2 Open Bench Spots: Jo Adell, Arismendy Alcantara, Jahmai Jones, Brennon Lund, Brandon Marsh, Luis Rengifo, Jose Rojas, Elliot Soto, Matt Thaiss, Jared Walsh, Taylor Ward, and Michael Hermosillo.

Good summary. I think it's  easy to narrow that down to serious contenders:

Starters: Andriese, Barria, Sandoval.

Relievers: Anderson, Cole, Pena.

Catcher: Stassi.

Bench: Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh, Hermosillo.

So I've got 11 players to fit 7 spots. Lots of different configurations, and of course there will be tons of movement for the first month or two.

(I'm putting Pena as a possible reliever/swingman/emergency starter)

On 2/2/2020 at 11:09 AM, Trendon said:

Infielders: David Fletcher, Tommy La Stella, Albert Pujols, Anthony Rendon, and Andrelton Simmons.

Starting Pitchers: Dylan Bundy, Griffin Canning, Andrew Heaney, and Julio Teheran

Relief Pitchers: Cam Bedrosian, Ty Buttrey, Keynan Middleton, Noe Ramirez, and Hansel Robles.

I think this is a pretty accurate representation of the locks. 

I would add that the rest of the discussion is pretty irrelevant because you’re talking about roster spots that will be changing all the time, so whoever is sitting in those spots on Day 1 won’t necessarily be there by Day 30 (or even Day 2).

However, I understand that you need something to talk about, so carry on....

Now that the Angels non-roster invitees have been announced and they seem to be done making moves, it seems like we have a pretty good idea of the players who will be competing for roster spots. (Note: I am including everyone who is invited to spring training. There is probably little to no chance that someone like Elliot Soto makes the roster, but he was invited to spring training so he is included)

Which would leave the following roster spots up for battle, with the competitors for the spots listed:

1 Open Starting Pitcher Spot: Matt Andriese, Jaime Barria, Adrian DeHorta, Luiz Gohara, Felix Pena, Dillon Peters, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez, and Jake Thompson.

3 Open Relief Pitcher Spots: Justin Anderson, Luke Bard, Jacob Barnes, Taylor Cole, Kyle Keller, Parker Markel, Mike Mayers, Hoby Milner, Neil Ramirez, and Jose Rodriguez

2 Open Bench Spots: Jo Adell, Arismendy Alcantara, Jahmai Jones, Brennon Lund, Brandon Marsh, Luis Rengifo, Jose Rojas, Elliot Soto, Matt Thaiss, Jared Walsh, Taylor Ward, and Michael Hermosillo.

Excellent post, thank you for putting the time and effort into it.  

I think Anderson, Bard and Cole are sure things in the pen.

I think Rengifo and Thaiss will more than likely make the 26 man roster.  I also give the inside edge to Hermosillo to start the year on the roster.  

And then either Benboom or Stassi depending on Stassi’s health.  

I feel like we could still see ST invites or minor league deals for SP, IF, C, OF, and RP. Basically, anywhere. Lots of FA out there still who could pan out like Norris or Petit did, or Goodwin or La Stella (acknowledging that neither were ST invites but weren’t really far off from same type of player)

Am I the only one that kinda forgot Bedrosian is still on the team?  

my guess is that Stassi, Pena will start on the IL.  

Ohtani won't pitch for a couple weeks so Andriese will start in the rotation.  

I think Alcantara will make it over herm because he can also play IF.

3b is back up by La Stella, Fletcher, Alcantara
SS by Fletcher and Alcantara  
2b by La Stella, Alcantara, Rendon

Bemboom as the backup C.  

I think they go with 3 pen arms and one more position player.  

the one position player will be between Thaiss and Rengifo.  But they might choose a guy who they're less concerned about getting everyday at bats to. Someone like Ward.  

the three pen arms will be from Anderson, Mayers, Cole, Keller, Bard, Markel, Barnes, Ramirez, Milner.  

the only one who's on the 40 without options is Mayers.  which makes him a virtual lock.  I think it'll be Anderson and Bard  otherwise

the other think we don't know is if any of our non-roster minor league invites have an opt out.  

I still think there’s a pretty decent chance an infielder. someone like Kipnis, Zobrist, Travis, Flores, Holt, Miller, or Gennett are brought in via ST invite to compete - especially if they can cover some at 1B, OF, and/or 2B/SS.

Maybin, Pillar, or Santana in the OF wouldn’t surprise me either.