• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitcher List on Angels starters in 2020

Angels-SP-Heaney.png

I’m quite fond of the Angels’ starting rotation. Julio Teheran is unspectacular, but he’s kind of a unicorn. I’m a noted Andrew Heaney truther. I’m pretty high on Dylan Bundy and can see him getting a great deal better. We’re quite fond of Griffin Canning here at Pitcher List, and the same goes for Patrick Sandoval. Then there’s Shohei Ohtani, whose potential is undeniable, but his durability and path to a meaningful amount of innings are unclear. Aside from Ohtani, I think you could make the argument that every pitcher in the Angels’ rotation is underrated.

Full Story: https://www.pitcherlist.com/player-profiles-2020-los-angeles-angels-starting-pitchers/

It was very interesting to see the innings pitched projections for the Halos starters (four starters at least 160 innings).   That would be a huge turnaround from the past few years.

It was also interesting to see them rank Matt Boyd high up at #49 amongst all MLB starters, despite the bad second half in 2019. 

So to summarize....

The Angels have four #5 starters. Two of them are the inning eater types (Teheran and Bundy), one of them should be better (Heaney) and the last figures to be better someday (Canning). 

The Angels are probably going to have the worst rotation in baseball, among teams that will contend. I mean the Yanks, Red Sox, Rays, Twins, Indians, White Sox, Astros, Rangers, A's.... They're all better than the Angels on the mound. 

The real reason why the Angels will contend is that offense. They figure to be every bit as good as any team in the AL outside of Minnesota.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So to summarize....

The Angels have four #5 starters. Two of them are the inning eater types (Teheran and Bundy), one of them should be better (Heaney) and the last figures to be better someday (Canning). 

The Angels are probably going to have the worst rotation in baseball, among teams that will contend. I mean the Yanks, Red Sox, Rays, Twins, Indians, White Sox, Astros, Rangers, A's.... They're all better than the Angels on the mound. 

The real reason why the Angels will contend is that offense. They figure to be every bit as good as any team in the AL outside of Minnesota.

And two important things: the bullpen won't be nearly as overworked and they won't be relying nearly as much on the #'s 7-11 starters.

36 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So to summarize....

The average ERA in MLB last year was 4.15, which is about what is predicted for pretty much everyone not named Ohtani.
Not sure i would call that 4 #5 starters especially not if they give 160+ innings.
I get not being wild about the rotation, but its not that terrible.

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So to summarize....

If the Angels signed Cole and Rendon then the real reason the Angels would compete is their offense.  Anything short of signing Cole and either Wheeler or Strasburg they were going to compete because of their offense.  

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

The average ERA in MLB last year was 4.15, which is about what is predicted for pretty much everyone not named Ohtani.
Not sure i would call that 4 #5 starters especially not if they give 160+ innings.

No no.....it is terrible, at least comparatively. I think the team that most resembles the Angels would be the Twins. Solid bullpen, good defense when Buxton is in CF and Donaldson is at 3B, great offense, and a pricing staff that's mostly so-so. 

They have Berrios and we have Ohtani. Ohtani is better but Berrios is healthy. They have Odorizzi, who isn't a very good #2 starter, but feasibly a solid #3/4. But it could be worse, just look at the Angels, who will roll out Andrew Heaney as they're #2 starter. Twins will use Homer Bailey as their 3rd starter, not exactly inspiring confidence in anyone and the Angels respond with an equally as unexciting Julio Teheran. 4th in their rotation for most of the year figures to be Michael Pineda, who is better than Bundy, just not as many innings. And rounding it out is Rich Hill. He's old, but when he's actually on the mound he's good. And the Angels have Canning, who is better than Hill.

So when comparing the Angels rotation to what is considered a bad contending rotation, the Angels are marginally worse.

So yes, the Angels rotation is BAD.

But the silver lining here has to be the number of innings they'll cover. That should make an already solid bullpen unit even better.

Edited by Second Base

41 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So to summarize....

On the sidebar, they project their rankings for the top 100 pitchers in 2020 - I assume based on these articles. 

They project Ohtani for 140 innings, which is probably high, but rank him at 17th overall, which is probably fair if he hits that total.

Others on the list: Heaney (#43 - 160ip projected), Canning (#54 - 160ip projected), Teheran (#77), others unranked, although Bundy’s numbers would probably put him barely outside the top 100, as would Sandoval’s.

Their innings projections seem high to me, but if accurate in their ranking, the Angels’ rotation won’t be bad at all, it just won’t be extraordinary. The offense should be good enough in that scenario to run with almost any team in the AL.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

agree and was just going to post something similar. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s ok to not like the moves the team made and not exaggerate how bad the staff is going to be.  

I figure guys like Bundy, Teheran, Heaney and Canning will be good for 5.2 innings a night and 4 ER. Across 30 starts, that's like 172 innings. Canning and Heaney likely won't get that many but I do believe Bundy and Teheran will. 

So the bullpen will be forced to cover 4.1 innings a night, while giving up an average of 2 runs, which comes out to a 4.38 ERA. That's about standard for an MLB bullpen.

So I've got the numbers to back up my predictions.

Stop being an ass and come up with quality reasons why I'm exaggerating.

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I figure guys like Bundy, Teheran, Heaney and Canning will be good for 5.2 innings a night and 4 ER. Across 30 starts, that's like 172 innings. Canning and Heaney likely won't get that many but I do believe Bundy and Teheran will. 

So the bullpen will be forced to cover 4.1 innings a night, while giving up an average of 2 runs, which comes out to a 4.38 ERA. That's about standard for an MLB bullpen.

So I've got the numbers to back up my predictions.

Stop being an ass and come up with quality reasons why I'm exaggerating.

So we are at 10 inning games now?  So they bullpen in your estimation will have a 5.4 ERA because you are saying they will give up 2 runs in 3 1/3 innings.