Sign in to follow this  
John Taylor

Derek Jeter and Larry Walker elected to Baseball HOF

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

lol@Bobby Abreu

I think Abreu was underrated and is a borderline guy. Glad he got the 5% to stay on, but I don't see him getting in with that type of start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Bonds and Clemens are still not in the Hall of Fame for using PEDs. But Gaylord Perry, who admitted to cheating, is in the Hall of Fame. Stupid Hall of Fame voters being morons and hypocrites. Oh, and congrats to Jeter for making the Hall of Fame. Someone who I would advise young people to look up to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I think Abreu was underrated and is a borderline guy. Glad he got the 5% to stay on, but I don't see him getting in with that type of start.

I didn’t have him as borderline, but he’s definitely above average and had a great career overall. I just always had him in that tier below HoF level.

One of my favorite players is also probably in this tier in Garrett Anderson......good/great, but not era defining. And GA is definitely better than Abreu. Maybe I’ll call it the Jim Edmonds tier where it’s a good player you want on your team, but at the end of the day isn’t HoF worthy.

But who knows. If Harold Barnes can get in, I don’t even know. I had him in that same tier with guys like Cecil Fielder or Ryan Howard

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the Yankees, so as far as I’m concerned, whoever denied Jeter the unanimous vote is a winner. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

i personally had Walker as a borderline no, but im not disappointed he got in at all. 

I don’t get how someone can look at Heter and Walker and say one is a shoe in and the other isn’t...and Jeter is the one in. Walker lacks Jeet’s postseason success. That’s the only thing he loses in. That has zilch to do with Jeter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB Network was talking to Derek Jeter today about his selection, and Joe Torre called in. Jeter recalled a day late in spring training in 1996. Jeter said that he forgot to cover second base on a play to the outfield, but the Yankees won the game anyway. He reminisced that Torre said to him without even looking at him, "We're leaving in ten days. You need to pull your head out of your ass."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I personally think Larry Walker was a better baseball player than Derek Jeter.

 

I think it would be very interesting to see if Walker was a Yankee and Jeter an Expo/Rockie.
I absolutely dont think Jeter should have been unanimous at all.  But, i give him the nod as he was very clutch, something Walker never really got a chance to show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

I hate the Yankees, so as far as I’m concerned, whoever denied Jeter the unanimous vote is a winner. 

I don’t get how someone can look at Heter and Walker and say one is a shoe in and the other isn’t...and Jeter is the one in. Walker lacks Jeet’s postseason success. That’s the only thing he loses in. That has zilch to do with Jeter. 

Not entirely true.  It isnt just about getting there, its about performing there, and as much as im not a Jeter guy, i give credit where its due.  He performed when the lights were on.
To be fair Walker never got that chance but for me thats the difference.  The reality is that in baseball lore than matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, floplag said:

Not entirely true.  It isnt just about getting there, its about performing there, and as much as im not a Jeter guy, i give credit where its due.  He performed when the lights were on.
To be fair Walker never got that chance but for me thats the difference.  The reality is that in baseball lore than matters. 

So Walker’s out because his team never played in the postseason? I guess Trout is out, too. 🙄 Dan Marino must not meet your high standards since he didn’t have a high enough TAR (teammates above replacement). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, floplag said:

Not entirely true.  It isnt just about getting there, its about performing there, and as much as im not a Jeter guy, i give credit where its due.  He performed when the lights were on.
To be fair Walker never got that chance but for me thats the difference.  The reality is that in baseball lore than matters. 

I'd really hate to think that someday, some HOF voter might say "Yeah, Trout was great - but he never got to the post-season - so, I'm a 'no'"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's incredibly ridiculous when people compare players across sports and talk about postseason.... and team success in general.

One player in baseball  can't make even close to the difference than a player in basketball or football.  It's simple math. 

Also, baseball is so different.... there is little teamwork involved most of the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

So Walker’s out because his team never played in the postseason? I guess Trout is out, too. 🙄 Dan Marino must not meet your high standards since he didn’t have a high enough TAR (teammates above replacement). 

Not what i said, i said he didnt get the chance to show he was clutch, perhaps the one thing Jeter excelled at aside from being a Yankee which autoamtically puts one foot in the hall, lol.
Let me ask you this, if you had to choose between Jeter and Walker in their primes to cornerstone a team, all things being equal, who do you pick?
Its just my opinion, i think Walker was great, its just for me in not sure i felt he was hall worthy.   Im not upset he got in at all, i just wouldnt have voted for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I'd really hate to think that someday, some HOF voter might say "Yeah, Trout was great - but he never got to the post-season - so, I'm a 'no'"

At this rate Trout will get in on numbers alone, to use Pancakes example he will basically be baseballs Dan Marino unless this team starts winning more games.  There is zero question that if he continues his pace her gets in, in fact they might wave the 5 year rule if he continues this pace, lol  
Walker wasnt Trout, its that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, floplag said:

Let me ask you this, if you had to choose between Jeter and Walker in their primes to cornerstone a team, all things being equal, who do you pick?

It’s close, but comparing the two, probably Walker. Jeter has the advantage of playing SS, unfortunately he didn’t play it especially well. On the other hand, it’s maybe easier to find a good outfielder than a good shortstop, so I’m not super confident in that. 

Either way, Walker was a top 100 all time player. Counting him out because his team never made the playoffs makes no sense to me. He more than earned it in the regular season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

It’s close, but comparing the two, probably Walker. Jeter has the advantage of playing SS, unfortunately he didn’t play it especially well. On the other hand, it’s maybe easier to find a good outfielder than a good shortstop, so I’m not super confident in that. 

Either way, Walker was a top 100 all time player. Counting him out because his team never made the playoffs makes no sense to me. He more than earned it in the regular season. 

I agree he was a great player, but im not sure i think top 100.  
Plus i think your over simplifying my statement a bit, but no matter. 
But thats the beauty of this game, we all see things how we see them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree he was a great player, but im not sure i think top 100.  

Baseball Reference disagrees. Since it’s rooted in quantifiable facts, as opposed to subjective opinion, I’m going to take its side in this debate. Not to say it’s perfect, but it’s a heck of a lot better than either of our opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Baseball Reference disagrees. Since it’s rooted in quantifiable facts, as opposed to subjective opinion, I’m going to take its side in this debate. Not to say it’s perfect, but it’s a heck of a lot better than either of our opinions. 

Based on formulas they wrote that we have all had many spirited discussion about 🙂
Its fine, but the math isnt everything to me, never has been or will be.
Its a large part of the equation, but not all of it.  That extra bit, thats why i would put Jeter well over him and not probably have him in the top 100
not saying your wrong, i just see it a little different than just numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Blarg said:

Most memorable Walker moment was the All Star game when Randy Johnson threw one behind his head and Walker flips his helmet over backwards and steps into the right handed batters box for the next pitch. 

i was thinking, "no, that was jon kruk." sure enough, it was both guys. here's the video from youtube:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this