• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

Half of all unemployment money was stolen by criminals during pandemic, experts say

Unemployment fraud surged during the coronavirus pandemic, with billions of dollars likely ending up in the hands of foreign crime syndicates based in China, Russia and other countries, experts say.

As much as $400 billion in unemployment benefits may have been fraudulent, according to one estimate by ID.me, FOX Business confirmed. That amounts to about 50% of unemployment money, according to the company, which uses facial recognition software to verify identities.

The news was first reported by Axios. 

"Fraud is being perpetrated by domestic and foreign actors," Blake Hall, CEO and founder of ID.ME, told FOX Business. "We are successfully disrupting attempted fraud from international organized crime rings, including Russia, China, Nigeria and Ghana, as well as U.S. street gangs."

Haywood Talcove, the CEO of LexisNexis Risk Solution, suggested the bulk of the money – about $250 billion – went to international criminal groups, most of which are backed by the state. The money is essentially being used as their slush fund for "nefarious purposes," such as terrorism, illegal drugs and child trafficking, Talcove said.  

The criminals have been able to access the money by stealing personal information and using it to impersonate claimants or buying it on the dark web. The groups also use an army of internet thieves to submit fraudulent claims. States, which administer the aid, may be prepared to combat fraud from individuals who are trying double-dip or cash in on benefits they don't need, but not international criminals using the dark web to exploit the system. 

Does any part of this have to do with not having an inspector general to oversee things with regards to the stimulus bills? Not saying fraud wouldn't occur but they didn't have to make it easy for it to happen either.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Does any part of this have to do with not having an inspector general to oversee things with regards to the stimulus bills? Not saying fraud wouldn't occur but they didn't have to make it easy for it to happen either.

Unemployment and stimulus is different.  Unemployment is through the state.  Stimulus is through the IRS and tax returns.  Both have issues.  But the unemployment is by far the one that is being taken advantage of more.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah but that old black woman is abusing the system and getting an extra $50 a week to help feed her kids. Let's focus on that first.

What about the other women that are poor and not black?

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah but that old black woman is abusing the system and getting an extra $50 a week to help feed her kids. Let's focus on that first.

Don't kid yourself. The schools and free daycare feed her kids. That $50 is for malt liquor and lottery tickets

22 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Well they’ve got the capability and they don’t tolerate Larrys so good for them.  Only way to end this shit sooner then the end of the decade is to vaccinate the world.  Though I heard that Sinovax has some terrible side effects like destroying your ability to drive and shrinking your Willy.

2 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It’s all ready over. Give it up. 

No thanks to you.  I’m talking long term when this thing is totally snuffed out and we don’t have to hear about it.  

Imagine a time when the most badass of us don’t have to purposely get it so they can enjoy lap dances from infected strippers and the smallest testicled of us don’t have to pretend they’re eating maskless on their condo patios.

That’s what I was referring to.  

Hey has your wife let you take that Costco sized box of masks out of your trunk yet?

40 minutes ago, cals said:

No thanks to you.  I’m talking long term when this thing is totally snuffed out and we don’t have to hear about it.  

Imagine a time when the most badass of us don’t have to purposely get it so they can enjoy lap dances from infected strippers and the smallest testicled of us don’t have to pretend they’re eating maskless on their condo patios.

That’s what I was referring to.  

Hey has your wife let you take that Costco sized box of masks out of your trunk yet?

I was at a strip club in your old stomping grounds in SB last weekend. Things are definitely back to normal. There’s no coronavirus if you turn off the tv. 

5 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I was at a strip club in your old stomping grounds in SB last weekend. Things are definitely back to normal. There’s no coronavirus if you turn off the tv. 

You know I love you man, but it’s almost like you task me to one up.  I was at a tittie bar in Reno in November 2020, at the beginning of a surge that killed an additional 200,000 Americans.  The lap dance I got wouldn’t have even been safe during cold season, let alone Covid.  When I walked in and saw the maskless debauchery I knew I was the only one walking out without the Rona that night.  Totally worth it.

18 hours ago, Kevin said:

I know with California they backed off many of the oversight and protections just so they could get money out as quick as possible and that's how a lot of the fraud got through. It should be obvious that they need to ensure where that money is going before writing the checks. 

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've never been on a cruise and never plan to go on one. They just seem like a floating petri dish 

I've been on 2 and always was concerned about something traveling through the duct work. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I've never been on a cruise and never plan to go on one. They just seem like a floating petri dish 

Pre-pandemic they were basically Vegas on the sea with buffets, entertainment for adults/families/kids and so on.  Planes, trains, subways and a lot of other things people use regularly can be dirtier or at least they look and smell like it.  I assume for the Carnival weekend cruises to Mexico their idea of cleaning is basically hosing the decks off between each trip and based on what goes on during those cruises I hope they use a lot of bleach.  We like European cruises as it's an easier and cheaper way for us to spend a bit of time in places we might not normally plan to go to on our own.  When it comes to places we liked we plan trips back on our own to spend real time there.