• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Did you know that IDs for the purposes of voting are free in Georgia?

I'd heard that, but how do they obtain them? In many rural (read: Republican) counties, they make it as difficult as humanly possible for working class folks to get their IDs. Things like closing government bindings early on weekdays, or only having one location in a 50-mile radius.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

I'd heard that, but how do they obtain them? In many rural (read: Republican) counties, they make it as difficult as humanly possible for working class folks to get their IDs. Things like closing government bindings early on weekdays, or only having one location in a 50-mile radius.

How can a working class person not possess something as basic as an ID?

32 minutes ago, failos said:

How can a working class person not possess something as basic as an ID?

Social security card, birth certificate, etc. are sufficient for getting a job but not for voting. Many people outside the burbs take public transportation and therefore don't have the need for a driver's license. 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

That really fucks over Republicans. Good thing in those highly populated Democratic counties it's a lot easier since they are the areas with the most voting power. 

Just now, Blarg said:

That really fucks over Republicans. Good thing in those highly populated Democratic counties it's a lot easier since they are the areas with the most voting power. 

I should have clarified. These are counties with Republican officials but a huge swath of Democrat-leaning voters (mostly Black). Yes, perhaps they should vote harder to elect local officials who represent their interests. But it's difficult to do when the people in office create laws that specifically target their ability to vote.

30 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Social security card, birth certificate, etc. are sufficient for getting a job but not for voting. Many people outside the burbs take public transportation and therefore don't have the need for a driver's license. 

No, this isn’t about a driver’s license—it’s about a basic state issued ID card.

How can someone function in society without an ID card? I find it difficult to believe that a citizen either lacks an ID card or would have a hard time obtaining one.

This argument never made sense to me. I need an ID to enter a club/bar or pickup an item from Best Buy but not to vote? If you don’t have an ID then you can’t effectively function in society.

22 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Perhaps Taylor can provide us an example of a person who couldn't get an ID.

Quick google search here are a few of many more.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/a-black-man-brought-3-forms-of-id-to-the-polls-in-wisconsin-he-still-couldnt-vote/

He brought his expired Illinois photo ID, birth certificate, and Social Security card to get a photo ID for voting, but the DMV in Milwaukee rejected his application because the name on his birth certificate read “Eddie Junior Holloway,” the result of a clerical error when it was issued.

Holloway, who worked as a cook in Illinois but is now unemployed and disabled, living with his family in Milwaukee, got a ride downtown to the Vital Records System to try to fix his birth certificate. Vital Records said it would cost between $400 and $600, which Holloway could not afford.

https://www.bridgemi.com/urban-affairs/poor-michigan-no-id-i-am-somebody-i-just-cant-prove-it

The two were recently at a social services agency on Detroit’s east side to begin the process of acquiring a state ID so he can get an apartment. But the process can take six months and unfold through a series of fits, starts and bureaucratic walls that reveals the everyday hassle of being poor.

For Tucker, it means bus trips, long waits in government offices and cobbling together money for copies of his birth certificate, academic and other records. He lost his ID with his wallet four years ago. When he talked to Bridge last month, Tucker had been to the Social Security office four times without luck.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-01-2012/voter-id-laws-impact-older-americans.html

The midwife at the 1949 home birth in rural South Carolina delivered a healthy baby girl but didn't file a birth certificate. Donna Jean Suggs grew up, got a Social Security card and found work as a home health aide. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get a birth certificate. That meant she couldn't get a driver's license or register to vote.