• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

My 2 cents on the red and blarg debate.

Both sides are correct. Trump, and the feds as a whole, shit the bed on this. There is no denying that. The measures weve gone to in the past week are still a few weeks behind. And that is going to cost us dearly.

We dont have the infrastructure to deal with this, or anything similar. As i said a few weeks ago in this thread, ive always had an interest in this stuff. Those who study these things have warned for years this was coming (note how the movie contagion is playing out almost identical to whats happening here).

That said, blarg is also correct. Whereas, yes, trump shit the bed, there isnt any country out there that is prepared for this. Some, like S Korea, have done an outstanding job (up till now) of containing it. And kudos to them... but we arent S Korea. We cant even GET people to stay home for a few weeks while promising them money. Next stop is Nat Guard forcing us to... and people will fight that.

So Trump (or anyone else) had to consider all the fiasco about what was coming and weigh it against how serious this thing was. In his defense, look at europe, and the UK... theyre in the same boat we are....

Red mentioned his earthquake kit. He has one. How many others do? Now compound that nationwide. I doubt any community, or industry, was any more prepared for this any more than war breaking out. Real war. Like against a peer. Very few prep for worst case scenario. (How many on here have 6 months of mortgage payments saved up, vs how many who dont still have a car they need to pay off, when the last one worked fine?)

We absolutely could have done a better job here. But we didnt. Plenty of time to blame when this is all over. But for now, all hands should be together to beat this thing.

4 hours ago, angelinkc said:

Time will tell on this thing. We are two months into the crisis and about 12k deaths short of swine fly year total . I believe this virus is more lethal but has a ways to go to prove it

No it's not. There were 18,036 deaths from the swine flu world wide.

7 minutes ago, calscuf said:

It is fascinating watching our democracy and society disintegrate in real time.  As TORS pointed out it was only 2 months ago that we were making fun of FS for being worried.

Totally. I know i made a comment back then that nobody should disregard this thing. Ive read too many books about this kind if thing to blow it off. But even with that said, I didnt for a second see it turning into this.

To be fair, the early reports from china downplayed it. I think thats why so many of us (not on this site, but around the modern world) took it lightly. Sounded like a superflu.

And yes..... hate to say it.... but when this thing really hits us, there will be some.... very bad things people turn into. That worries me more than the virus.

Like i said earlier, hopefully this thing, bad as it is, leads to a reset, and good people standing out.

And hopefully, when this thing is beaten by science, smart people become hip again. Kill off the idiocracy society weve become, and go back to being civil with each other, and applauding intelligence.

Reference Brandons vids he posted.

I still say Dr Drew is totally wrong on this. I hope im the one whos wrong. I hope he looks like a genius in a few months. (I just doubt it)

But i highly recommend the second one he posted, with the Dr from UMN. Very, very good, with lots of good info. Give it an hour of your time... we all have an hour these days, anyway.

11 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

My 2 cents on the red and blarg debate.

Both sides are correct. Trump, and the feds as a whole, shit the bed on this. There is no denying that. The measures weve gone to in the past week are still a few weeks behind. And that is going to cost us dearly.

We dont have the infrastructure to deal with this, or anything similar. As i said a few weeks ago in this thread, ive always had an interest in this stuff. Those who study these things have warned for years this was coming (note how the movie contagion is playing out almost identical to whats happening here).

That said, blarg is also correct. Whereas, yes, trump shit the bed, there isnt any country out there that is prepared for this. Some, like S Korea, have done an outstanding job (up till now) of containing it. And kudos to them... but we arent S Korea. We cant even GET people to stay home for a few weeks while promising them money. Next stop is Nat Guard forcing us to... and people will fight that.

So Trump (or anyone else) had to consider all the fiasco about what was coming and weigh it against how serious this thing was. In his defense, look at europe, and the UK... theyre in the same boat we are....

Red mentioned his earthquake kit. He has one. How many others do? Now compound that nationwide. I doubt any community, or industry, was any more prepared for this any more than war breaking out. Real war. Like against a peer. Very few prep for worst case scenario. (How many on here have 6 months of mortgage payments saved up, vs how many who dont still have a car they need to pay off, when the last one worked fine?)

We absolutely could have done a better job here. But we didnt. Plenty of time to blame when this is all over. But for now, all hands should be together to beat this thing.

This is where hindsight 20/20 gets a little ridiculous. What if I bought a car for the greatest deal of all time and then a few to many months later this happens? No one here can predict the future.

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Reference Brandons vids he posted.

I still say Dr Drew is totally wrong on this. I hope im the one whos wrong. I hope he looks like a genius in a few months. (I just doubt it)

But i highly recommend the second one he posted, with the Dr from UMN. Very, very good, with lots of good info. Give it an hour of your time... we all have an hour these days, anyway.

He's not wrong. He just breaks down the science of how it's contracted, the symptoms, what to do, follow the head of the CDC, stay educated as new details and science emerges, and that we need to collect data and where the numbers might be from last week to this week and the ramifications of either little up tick or large up tick. I don't get why people just focus on him being forward that we'll get through this and people are overreacting with the hoarding. It's all common sense.

Even the dude from the Joe Rogan podcast says the same thing that we'll beat this. There is actually more parallels between the two.

Emissions over China and Italy plunge during coronavirus outbreak, satellite images reveal

A view from space of how emissions are changing in response to coronavirus. A view from space of how emissions are changing in response to coronavirus.

Emissions have dropped significantly over Italy and portions of China as a result of the near-total shutdown from the novel coronavirus, satellite images reveal.

As the pandemic has spread, satellites orbiting Earth have observed lowered air pollution over Italy and lowered nitrogen-dioxide emissions over China.

TROPOMI, the Tropospheric Monitoring Instrument onboard the Copernicus satellite, has been observing these atmospheric changes from space. The effort is a collaboration among the European Space Agency (ESA), the European Commission, the Netherlands Space Office, industry, data users and scientists.

Claus Zehner, ESA’s Copernicus Sentinel-5P mission manager, said in a statement: “The decline in nitrogen dioxide concentrations over the Po Valley in northern Italy is particularly evident."

Josef Aschbacher, ESA’s director of earth observation programs, said in a statement: “Satellites offer a unique vantage point to monitor the health of our planet. Sentinel-5P is one of seven Copernicus satellites in orbit today. It currently provides the most accurate measurements of nitrogen dioxide and other trace gases from space."

“As nitrogen dioxide is primarily produced by traffic and factories, it is a first-level indicator of industrial activity worldwide. What is clearly visible is a significant reduction of nitrogen dioxide levels over China, caused by reduced activity due to COVID-19 restrictions, but also the Chinese New Year in January," Aschbacher said.

“The Copernicus program is a perfect example of how space serves all European citizens by combining the political strength of the EU with the technical excellence of ESA," he added.

New coronavirus test can have results 'within hours' -- See how it works

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued emergency authorization Saturday for a novel coronavirus (COVID-19) test kit made by Cepheid Inc. that can yield results in a matter of hours instead of days.

The new tool is called the "Cepheid Xpert Xpress SARS-CoV-2 test" and will be made available to the public by the end of the month.

"The test we're authorizing today will be able to provide Americans with results within hours, rather than days like the existing tests, and the company plans to roll it out by March 30," the FDA said in a press release.

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar added: "With new tools like point-of-care diagnostics, we are moving into a new phase of testing, where tests will be much more easily accessible to Americans who need them."

Cepheid, which is based out of Sunnyvale, Calif., provided Fox News with footage of the test kit that they claim can bounce back positive or negative results, in as little as 45 minutes.