• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

And to be fair, this isnt the end of the dinosaurs event. And I think that's where some of the hysteria lies. 

People who are worried it is will make it hell on everyone else. People who realize its not wont take it serious enough, and will make it hell on everyone else.

I think the faster everyone gets tested, the faster normal returns. The plan now is to freeze everyone, find out where its at, isolate those who have it, then let the others return to normal.

There will be more outbreaks down the road. Theres no way everyone with it can be found. Hard enough here.... now think about the 3rd world.

But it comes down to how quickly enough tests can be manufactured and administered. 

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And to be fair, this isnt the end of the dinosaurs event. And I think that's where some of the hysteria lies. 

People who are worried it is will make it hell on everyone else. People who realize its not wont take it serious enough, and will make it hell on everyone else.

I think the faster everyone gets tested, the faster normal returns. The plan now is to freeze everyone, find out where its at, isolate those who have it, then let the others return to normal.

There will be more outbreaks down the road. Theres no way everyone with it can be found. Hard enough here.... now think about the 3rd world.

But it comes down to how quickly enough tests can be manufactured and administered. 

Good article on the subject...long read but worth it and it's not like you have anything else to do.

key excerpt

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=wired&mbid=social_twitter

We are being asked to do things, certainly, that never happened in my lifetime—stay in the house, stay 6 feet away from other people, don’t go to group gatherings. Are we getting the right advice?

Well, as you reach me, I'm pretending that I'm in a meditation retreat, but I'm actually being semi-quarantined in Marin County. Yes, this is very good advice....[edit: Red removing some statements because what he is saying is very important and some people get butthurt quite easily here]...But what you're hearing now [to self-isolate, close schools, cancel events] is right. Is it going to protect us completely? Is it going to make the world safe forever? No. It's a great thing because we want to spread out the disease over time.

Flatten the curve.

By slowing it down or flattening it, we're not going to decrease the total number of cases, we're going to postpone many cases, until we get a vaccine—which we will, because there's nothing in the virology that makes me frightened that we won’t get a vaccine in 12 to 18 months. Eventually, we will get to the epidemiologist gold ring.

What’s that?

That means, A, a large enough quantity of us have caught the disease and become immune. And B, we have a vaccine. The combination of A plus B is enough to create herd immunity, which is around 70 or 80 percent.

I hold out hope that we get an antiviral for Covid-19 that is curative, but in addition is prophylactic. It's certainly unproven and it's certainly controversial, and certainly a lot of people are not going to agree with me. But I offer as evidence two papers in 2005, one in Nature and one in Science. They both did mathematical modeling with influenza, to see whether saturation with just Tamiflu of an area around a case of influenza could stop the outbreak. And in both cases, it worked. I also offer as evidence the fact that at one point we thought HIV/AIDS was incurable and a death sentence. Then, some wonderful scientists discovered antiviral drugs, and we've learned that some of those drugs can be given prior to exposure and prevent the disease. Because of the intense interest in getting [Covid-19] conquered, we will put the scientific clout and money and resources behind finding antivirals that have prophylactic or preventive characteristics that can be used in addition to [vaccines].

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

It's interesting you mention statistics when there is absolutely no statistical data to go by in this pandemic. There is no reliable data anywhere. I agree this could all be a REALLY, REALLY BIG DEAL but it may not be. Nobody knows what we're dealing with since this has only been in the US a few weeks and nobody is getting tested. The new great depression we will be dealing with for the next several years may have been unnecessarily caused and that is a huge tragedy. 

Possibly or if we did nothing then a lot of people will die and our entire health care system will collapse. I'm of the belief that it is better to be safe than sorry or shoot first and ask questions later because of the unknown like you state. 

1 hour ago, well_red said:

There's plenty of blame to go around.  Wuhan officials held back information from Beijing, China held back information from the WHO.  The WHO waited too long declare an international emergency, the US and Europe waited far too long to act, and half-assed at that.  Lucky for Taiwan, they have been through this before with SARS and jumped on it ASAP.  Wuhan wasn't even shut down until late January, but Taiwan was screening airline passengers Dec 31, the same day the Chinese CDC was notified of a possible new virus.  The Taiwanese government is actually functional and acted decisively and saved their population the pains we are facing.  Downplaying the severity of the virus is misguided.

FTR, I'm not downplaying this and abiding by the rules. I stated that from Taiwan's perspective, we're overreacting. But that's probably because they're experienced at facing these viruses over the years and they jumped at doing the right thing, despite what China and WHO said early on, that it's not spreadable human to human. 

I'm also not a conspiracy theorist either. But there are some things that I think will come out later on that will shock some people.

40 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Or the thousands of homeless in this state alone. They are the biggest threat in spreading this 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

FTR, I'm not downplaying this and abiding by the rules. I stated that from Taiwan's perspective, we're overreacting. But that's probably because they're experienced at facing these viruses over the years and they jumped at doing the right thing, despite what China and WHO said early on, that it's not spreadable human to human. 

I'm also NOT a conspiracy theorist either. But there are some things that I think will come out later on that will shock some people.

I'm there with you 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm there with you 

I agree

February 26th, 2020. President Trump: “When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

March 20th, 2020. Confirmed cases in the United States rise to 16,064.

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm also not a conspiracy theorist either. But there are some things that I think will come out later on that will shock some people.

A big bowl of Sara's PHO and a Makers Mark is what I need. 

37 minutes ago, red321 said:

I agree

February 26th, 2020. President Trump: “When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

March 20th, 2020. Confirmed cases in the United States rise to 16,064.

He was close enough. Just give it to him.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Have any of you who are anti gun reconsidered?

And I dont ask with any judgement, just curiosity. Driving around Im seeing lined out the gun stores. Which is weird, because I figure all the pro gun types already own one, so I assume a bunch of people Im seeing in line are buying their first one.

I'm not anti-gun but I don't have one. 

I'd consider it, though. But not because of the coronavirus. Just for general protection.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm not anti-gun but I don't have one. 

I'd consider it, though. But not because of the coronavirus. Just for general protection.

I dont think we'll get to the point where its needed. But who knows.... on the bad end of tbe scale, this will be like Katrina, but countrywide. So nobody coming to help....

BUT... i truly dont think we come close to that point. If everyone would just do what theyre being told to do for a few weeks, I think were more S Korea than Italy

That should be the battle cry. "Rice, not spaghetti"

17 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Have any of you who are anti gun reconsidered?

And I dont ask with any judgement, just curiosity. Driving around Im seeing lined out the gun stores. Which is weird, because I figure all the pro gun types already own one, so I assume a bunch of people Im seeing in line are buying their first one.

Maybe they're gun owners buying more ammo.