• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

6 hours ago, Tank said:

not right now.

I'd like to see the numbers calm down quite a bit before we open up again.

I'm not sure about wearing a mask the whole time. that would be a headache. I'm hopeful I could wear a shield instead.

The numbers will calm down but will shoot back up the day they ease the restrictions. It’s going to be a constant back and forth from now on 

6 hours ago, Tank said:

not right now.

I'm not sure about wearing a mask the whole time. that would be a headache. I'm hopeful I could wear a shield instead.

Tank, what level of education do you believe kids get with this on-line teaching?  Also, what do you think it is doing to their mental health?

6 hours ago, Tank said:

not right now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-schools-evidence-kids-coronavirus.amp

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/05/26/children-transmission

Something to consider. Granted, not much is known about COVID so decisions have to be made as to which route will be more destructive 

Edited by Jason

1 minute ago, calscuf said:

Same.  Slight fever and I feel a little run down.  Lost about 70% of my sense of smell.  If it doesn’t change I have to consider myself very fortunate.

That's how my brother in law's g/f felt when she had it. Exact same thing.

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Tank, what level of education do you believe kids get with this on-line teaching?  Also, what do you think it is doing to their mental health?

Results vary but really only the student that can self motivate will accomplish any state standard goals. Special Ed gets hit the hardest. Many of the kids have trouble with computers let alone the alphabet, reading, decoding, it's a mess and without a teacher present to show kids how to navigate problem solving they learn nothing. 

Also, in California there are privacy laws to protect children so there are no web cam teaching allowed at grade school levels that reveal a students name or image like Zoom. In the Fontana district there is not a secure server to provide those meetings the students can log on to. 

Couple this with the lack of technology like laptops or tablets for every child along with internet access and you have a lot of inclusion problems. 

My wife spent three months creating worksheet packages and teleconferencing with her students to try and supply some sort of curriculum this last school year but it requires a lot of parental involvement and moderated so the parents aren't filling out the worksheets for them. 

This year she will have 11 kids entering special education as 1st graders. There is no way they will be able to use any computer aceess education, they do not know their alphabet let alone how to decode even the simplest words or instructions.

Without hands on teaching this will be a year where they will fall behind even further despite the best efforts my wife will give. And she is OCD (we refer to that as Obsessive Carol Disorder) about making sure every student gets 100% of her time and skills. 

The same challenges face regular Ed teachers and even more so this year if they spilt up classroom time and include online courses. Teachers have to have prep time, grading time, assessments and individualized teaching for those students falling behind. The current plans discussed really upends the balance between time with students and time to prepare the next lesson. There may be walkouts by teachers if the workload is disproportionate to their salary. Good teachers spend 50-70 hours a week on a salary based on a 5/8 work week as is. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Results vary but really only the student that can self motivate will accomplish any state standard goals. Special Ed gets hit the hardest. Many of the kids have trouble with computers let alone the alphabet, reading, decoding, it's a mess and without a teacher present to show kids how to navigate problem solving they learn nothing. 

Also, in California there are privacy laws to protect children so there are no web cam teaching allowed at grade school levels that reveal a students name or image like Zoom. In the Fontana district there is not a secure server to provide those meetings the students can log on to. 

Couple this with the lack of technology like laptops or tablets for every child along with internet access and you have a lot of inclusion problems. 

My wife spent three months creating worksheet packages and teleconferencing with her students to try and supply some sort of curriculum this last school year but it requires a lot of parental involvement and moderated so the parents aren't filling out the worksheets for them. 

This year she will have 11 kids entering special education as 1st graders. There is no way they will be able to use any computer aceess education, they do not know their alphabet let alone how to decode even the simplest words or instructions.

Without hands on teaching this will be a year where they will fall behind even further despite the best efforts my wife will give. And she is OCD (we refer to that as Obsessive Carol Disorder) about making sure every student gets 100% of her time and skills. 

The same challenges face regular Ed teachers and even more so this year if they spilt up classroom time and include online courses. Teachers have to have prep time, grading time, assessments and individualized teaching for those students falling behind. The current plans discussed really upends the balance between time with students and time to prepare the next lesson. There may be walkouts by teachers if the workload is disproportionate to their salary. Good teachers spend 50-70 hours a week on a salary based on a 5/8 work week as is. 

Our district suffered immensely.  My kids suffered a lot.  Their education sucked and they had every advantage.