fan_since79

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

9 minutes ago, notherhalo said:

Seems amazon is either completely out, or double those prices at least.  Its sold out in all stores.  Its going to be hard to get me for gouging when Im basically losing money or breaking even on the deal.   Just not sure if its a "no good deed goes unpunished" thing.

It's not Amazon that is doubling the prices, it's the third party retailers that are.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I would think that's the safest place you could be

You are going to get Corona, the clap, or the HIV.

It's Russian roulette in that neck of the woods......but if they have toilet paper I may venture out and getting poked.

Test, test, test, test, test.

The most informative thing we can do is test the hell out of people for antibodies. The government should pay for it and test as many asymptomatic people as is possible. It has the potential to help us get people back out there. If it turns out that a metric crap ton of people have had it, it can inform our decisions, and in short order. If it turns out that not as many have had it as we suspect... well, fudge.

We also need to know about reinfection rates.

There's so much that we don't know and a lot that we do.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Yep. They have a treatment for the flu called Tamiflu but it’s only effective if taken within the first 48 hours of symptom onset. I’ve taken it once and it did a fantastic job. After that, you just hope your immune system does its thing well. 

An interesting note about Tamiflu is that all the trials were carried out by the manufacturer which were pretty much fraudulent. Tamiflu is now shown to be pretty worthless in real studies (doesn’t reduce hospitalizations or death). The WHO downgraded it in 2015 and more and more doctors are choosing not to prescribe it. 

It’s funny how Obama peddled Tamiflu for H1N1 and there wasn’t a huge campaign by the MSM to discredit it. All of the “pro science” libs were all on board. 

14 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Did you get the caps you were looking for @notherhalo?

Nope, the bottler went for another top that doesnt fit too well, and than some massive healthcare company paid about $5 a bottle.  While that price might be highway robbery 4 months ago, in this case it was also hardly any profit for anyone.  The micro brewer had to retool like crazy to get it made and the bottler burned all sorts of time and energy with his plant being otherwise shut down.  However, people who were employed continued to get paid, which is what we are after at this moment.

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I hope the hunkering down will be only "for a bit" and not another 4-6 months because that will absolutely kill this country.

There will always be at least a small number of cases in a country this size. Who knows, we may go through this again next Fall if they don't get a safe and effective virus available by then.

How about a permanent shutdown, 60-100 million unemployed, Dow Jones at 1,000 and lining up in our masks and gloves in government food lines staffed by the army, because that's coming if this goes on indefinitely. Not to mention millions of suicides and general chaos.

We'd better think about how far we want to take this. 

The people instituting the lockdowns will still get a full paycheck every 2 weeks. So I wouldn’t be too optimistic that we aren’t going to completely self destruct by August. 

22 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

An interesting note about Tamiflu is that all the trials were carried out by the manufacturer which were pretty much fraudulent. Tamiflu is now shown to be pretty worthless in real studies (doesn’t reduce hospitalizations or death). The WHO downgraded it in 2015 and more and more doctors are choosing not to prescribe it. 

It’s funny how Obama peddled Tamiflu for H1N1 and there wasn’t a huge campaign by the MSM to discredit it. All of the “pro science” libs were all on board. 

You have MSMDS.

3 hours ago, calscuf said:

Riverside County fining $1000 for not wearing a mask.

3 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

I was able to score a few masks today, because I had a feeling this was coming.

3 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

What about this white guy?

roy-l-dennis-36a04848-2501-4863-9b01-c1de9f03680-resize-750-4.jpeg

This is why i try not to come to the politics thread on here. Everyone argues, and we're all guilty.

The problem is, while arguing, we miss important posts.

Did nobody else f*cking realize these were all on the SAME PAGE of a more than 100 page thread?

Sometimes this site is genius, and we dont even know it.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

@gotbeer,

I read this because you mentioned reading it, so had to see what you were getting at.

I have no idea what the numbers are. And for all I know, yes, like the headine here reads, there could be some loose basing on cause of death. 

But two things.

Number 1, the blunt reality. We arent doing autopsies. So if someone is in ICU with covid, and you die of a heart attack, like the attached article suggests here, the two are likely related. Again, that may be loose here... but nobody has the time to suit up and cut open rib cages to weigh organs right now.

Similar to how nobody dies from AIDS. You die from one of several diseases. The cause of death is still AIDS, not pneumocystis.

And second, as I said in a post a few days back, those people who are being found dead in their bed or on the couch, who were suffering from symptoms but werent tested, arent tested after they die either. So whereas, sure, some people may be getting over counted, I can attest that its also not being tracked outside of the hospitals, either. The number could actually be a lot higher than reported.

I think pneumonia deaths are up significantly so far this year. When this is all over people with probably take the total amount of deaths this year and subtract it by the annual average amount of deaths to get an idea of how many people this virus killed. Of course a new war could throw all of that out the window. 

10 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I think pneumonia deaths are up significantly so far this year. When this is all over people with probably take the total amount of deaths this year and subtract it by the annual average amount of deaths to get an idea of how many people this virus killed. Of course a new war could throw all of that out the window. 

Jesus Christo, Lawrencio.

Mas bourbon, por favor.

1 hour ago, RallyMo said:

Test, test, test, test, test.

The most informative thing we can do is test the hell out of people for antibodies. The government should pay for it and test as many asymptomatic people as is possible. It has the potential to help us get people back out there. If it turns out that a metric crap ton of people have had it, it can inform our decisions, and in short order. If it turns out that not as many have had it as we suspect... well, fudge.

We also need to know about reinfection rates.

There's so much that we don't know and a lot that we do.

You hit on two solid points here that are gaining traction or being monitored.

The amount of asymptomatic people that show no signs are becoming higher or becoming an issue. No symptoms, but spreading it and not knowing.

I'm curious about the reinfection rate, too. I think NY had one of their first cases get it again and end up back in ICU or the ER. I haven't read or see many reinfections elsewhere, but know it's going to be an issue.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

This is the first step, IMO.

My total retard, blue collar solution for the short term. Incubation period on this is like 2 weeks? Maybe less?

Lock everyone the F up for 2 weeks. Zero tolerance. Work miracle to develop manufacturing locations for masks. 

2 weeks later, with ZERO tolerance, this thing should be more or less contained. Now we relax restrictions to where we are today... essential things are fine, fun shit out. 

This should give roughly a month for masks to get produced in numbers that cover everyone. Perhaps unrealistic, but looking at WW2 manufacturing, I dont see why it couldnt be done.

This gives us a month of pain, but likely takes care of this thing to the point where its no longer going to overwhelm the population. And gives the medical industry needed time to clear out what theyre already dealing with, and to stockpile a bit more of whatever drugs seem to work best. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You hit on two solid points here that are gaining traction or being monitored.

The amount of asymptomatic people that show no signs are becoming higher or becoming an issue. No symptoms, but spreading it and not knowing.

I'm curious about the reinfection rate, too. I think NY had one of their first cases get it again and end up back in ICU or the ER. I haven't read or see many reinfections elsewhere, but know it's going to be an issue.

Story came out today that S. Korea had some 50 plus people reinfected....

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This is the first step, IMO.

My total retard, blue collar solution for the short term. Incubation period on this is like 2 weeks? Maybe less?

Lock everyone the F up for 2 weeks. Zero tolerance. Work miracle to develop manufacturing locations for masks. 

2 weeks later, with ZERO tolerance, this thing should be more or less contained. Now we relax restrictions to where we are today... essential things are fine, fun shit out. 

This should give roughly a month for masks to get produced in numbers that cover everyone. Perhaps unrealistic, but looking at WW2 manufacturing, I dont see why it couldnt be done.

This gives us a month of pain, but likely takes care of this thing to the point where its no longer going to overwhelm the population. And gives the medical industry needed time to clear out what theyre already dealing with, and to stockpile a bit more of whatever drugs seem to work best. 

How you aren't governor baffles me. 

13 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

First order of business. Cancel the stupid bullet train between LA and SF.

Second order of business. Build a more relaxed, "chill train" (with the interior done up like a pimps cadillac) to Vegas.

210c6c7ea82a904bbd3c1c112f7d8287.jpg

17 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

First order of business. Cancel the stupid bullet train between LA and SF.

Second order of business. Build a more relaxed, "chill train" (with the interior done up like a pimps cadillac) to Vegas.

Lawsuit incoming from Coors Light.