• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

13 minutes ago, red321 said:

laugh...ok dude...so basically you're full of shit when you talk about how you only want to see what the scientists and professionals have to say

Maybe you should word or highlight those portions for us to see instead of it looking like another of your Trump smear campaigns. No one respects that shit or takes you seriously.

I'm all about education, but not from a fraudulent source and someone that I know is posting things that defend their position in life.

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

16 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

It's a catch though.  Military and defense is all government.  Medicine is primarily private.  If anything, hospitals in general are closer to state and local than federal.  I.e. county and city hospitals.  And here is where a lot of analysis by those way higher on the pay grade will have to look.  Are we having these issues because the government was unprepared?  Or are we having these issues because hospitals didn't think it was necessary to have 20 million masks in their emergency supplies?  And the big rub is going to be, we think hospitals are already too expensive.  Now they are probably going to have to add costs on a future pandemic that might not happen before the stock expires.  

Maybe I should have clarified, it was the disparity between military funding to health and wellness funding. Not so much private vs. state/fed places, but just the allocation of funds into that sector.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe you should word or highlight those portions for us to see instead of it looking like another of your Trump smear campaigns. No one respects that shit or takes you seriously.

I'm all about education, but not from a fraudulent source and someone that I know is posting things that defend their position in life.

I'm all about education...but I won't read anything that I don't agree with before reading

The Washington Post article has a detailed breakdown, including links to multiple sources, of the US response from back in January. It discusses everything from initial administration reaction, to the travel ban, emergency preparedness, testing ramp up, state coordination, etc.

But don't worry...you can be secure in the knowledge that you have chosen to remain ignorant because you don't agree with my "position in life" and heard what the former host of Loveline said

27 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I carefully broke down each word she used and what she described. I don't think that she was lying. CBS did this nurse no favors by not putting it in context, though, and that text above the video is deceptive. She also discloses that she has some mental health issues. Now, maybe there may he more to the situation than is presented in that twitter thread, but what she's saying in the video itself makes sense to me. Furthermore, some of the comments about her in the Twitter thread you linked are really terrible.

Twitter comments terrible? No way!! 

8 minutes ago, red321 said:

I'm all about education...but I won't read anything that I don't agree with before reading

The Washington Post article has a detailed breakdown, including links to multiple sources, of the US response from back in January. It discusses everything from initial administration reaction, to the travel ban, emergency preparedness, testing ramp up, state coordination, etc.

But don't worry...you can be secure in the knowledge that you have chosen to remain ignorant because you don't agree with my "position in life" and heard what the former host of Loveline said

Cool man.

I'll be waiting with bated breath about your next post citing Trump or how it's his fault.

Fucking 15 years of seeing this type of shit. I obviously usually stay away from here because it's the same talking heads posting the same rhetoric and same positions or thought processes like anyone is going to change anyones mind. Serious question, has Red or someone liked Lifetime changed anyones mind or disposition on a topic or subject?

15 minutes ago, red321 said:

To be fair, no one reads links. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Cool man.

I'll be waiting with bated breath about your next post citing Trump or how it's his fault.

Fucking 15 years of seeing this type of shit. I obviously usually stay away from here because it's the same talking heads posting the same rhetoric and same positions or thought processes like anyone is going to change anyones mind. Serious question, has Red or someone liked Lifetime changed anyones mind or disposition on a topic or subject?

Someone liked Lifetime?

When did this happen?

2 hours ago, RallyMo said:

This is encouraging. 

This isn't.

Of the 356,414 cases currently recorded in the US only 19,247 are patients that are listed as recovered. 10,940 patients have died. If you do the math that is a 36% mortality rate. The world average is 21%.

Something needs to change. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This isn't.

Of the 356,414 cases currently recorded in the US only 19,247 are patients that are listed as recovered. 10,940 patients have died. If you do the math that is a 36% mortality rate. The world average is 21%.

Yeah, I know. Jeebus.

46 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

It's a catch though.  Military and defense is all government.  Medicine is primarily private.  If anything, hospitals in general are closer to state and local than federal.  I.e. county and city hospitals.  And here is where a lot of analysis by those way higher on the pay grade will have to look.  Are we having these issues because the government was unprepared?  Or are we having these issues because hospitals didn't think it was necessary to have 20 million masks in their emergency supplies?  And the big rub is going to be, we think hospitals are already too expensive.  Now they are probably going to have to add costs on a future pandemic that might not happen before the stock expires.  

Those are some good questions, but a lot of that goes into preparedness.

Yes, local hospitals should have immediate emergency supplies on hand, but as you mentioned, that costs money. So, they can't stockpile a huge amount of reserves without starting to become cost prohibitive...and that cost has to be picked up by someone...which is the local market and drives up healthcare costs.

Hence, the reason behind the national stockpile. It has a couple of purposes. One is it can store a large cache, and as regional disasters occur they can send out supplies to those regional hospitals. For example, hurricane, tornado, flood. So, in that specific case you have a stockpile of supplies to backfill the smaller supplies a local hospital might have. You are also spreading out costs, similar to how insurance works.

That scenario doesn't quite fit what you have here, which is a national emergency like a pandemic. The purpose of a national stockpile in that case is you should have a large cache of supplies that can backfill the country while directing those supplies to the areas that need them the most, when they need them the most. So in the beginning you are supplying Washington and NY, then rolling that to the next states, and down the line. The federal government also has tools that states/regions don't...they can compel private companies to make goods, they have larger purchasing power, and they are coordinating information from the entire country and can step in and prioritize/arbitrate as necessary. You don't have states competing against each other for goods and driving up everyone's costs.

And what we are finding out is a couple of things...the system, as designed, does not appear to be adequate. Investigation should occur on how much of that was incompetence and how much was the overall design of the system. States fighting over resources, and it appears the feds also impounding purchases by states, is just a giant clusterfuck. There's also the question of how were decisions made on how much and what was stockpiled. Lots of this goes back decades.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This isn't.

Keep in mind though, that those "recorded" cases are of people who have gone to the hospital. Obviously if you're in the hospital due to this virus, that's going to greatly increase the chances of dying from it.

That doesn't mean it's not scary as fuck, but the overall mortality rate of COVID-19 is likely far lower than 36%. I mean, that's basically the apocalypse.

But yes, I agree something needs to change. If 80% of confirmed cases in other countries are surviving this, then there's no excuse for a country like the US to have such a significantly higher mortality rate.

We're also fat, so that will contribute.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Keep in mind though, that those "recorded" cases are of people who have gone to the hospital. Obviously if you're in the hospital due to this virus, that's going to greatly increase the chances of dying from it.

That doesn't mean it's not scary as fuck, but the overall mortality rate of COVID-19 is likely far lower than 36%. I mean, that's basically the apocalypse.

But yes, I agree something needs to change. If 80% of confirmed cases in other countries are surviving this, then there's no excuse for a country like the US to have such a significantly higher mortality rate.

We're also fat, so that will contribute.

Actually this isn't entirely correct. The total confirmed cases are of people who have tested positive. I believe it's the recovered/died statistics that are from the hospitals.

One thing i think needs to be pointed out, when seeing how the Feds dropped the ball, is that in their defense, we are having a hard time getting people to stay away from each other right now... a month into this thing.

Im not trying to defend trump here. But the ONLY way we could have stopped this thing was to Wuahn America as soon as Wuhan was Wuhanned... (wow). We would have had to shut everyone down in say early January. And NOBODY would have gone for that then.... even when Italy started rolling, we struggled to get people to stay home.

As far as the Dems, had Trump suggested a lockdown in January, they would have said it was to draw attention away from the Impeachment.

Again, Im no trump fan. And he and the feds DID fail in a lot of ways. But just the way of the world, this thing was coming no matter what. (Unless we did the impossible)

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of pandemic tax added to healthcare premiums going forward while it won't end up being spent where it should.  They of course won't call it that but until we can address the costs of healthcare nothing will change because as long as an ibuprofen cost $10+ in the hospital I don't count on the states or feds to be prepared because once the dust settles they'll revert to short term thinking which is more budget friendly when it comes to getting their pet projects funded. 

31 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Cool man.

Do you have trouble understanding nuance?

Nobody is saying that it's exclusively Trump's fault. Some of us are saying that Trump shares part of the blame for our country not being prepared or responding quick enough.

Edited by Taylor

4 minutes ago, red321 said:

Those are some good questions, but a lot of that goes into preparedness.

Yes, local hospitals should have immediate emergency supplies on hand, but as you mentioned, that costs money. So, they can't stockpile a huge amount of reserves without starting to become cost prohibitive...and that cost has to be picked up by someone...which is the local market and drives up healthcare costs.

Hence, the reason behind the national stockpile. It has a couple of purposes. One is it can store a large cache, and as regional disasters occur they can send out supplies to those regional hospitals. For example, hurricane, tornado, flood. So, in that specific case you have a stockpile of supplies to backfill the smaller supplies a local hospital might have. You are also spreading out costs, similar to how insurance works.

That scenario doesn't quite fit what you have here, which is a national emergency like a pandemic. The purpose of a national stockpile in that case is you should have a large cache of supplies that can backfill the country while directing those supplies to the areas that need them the most, when they need them the most. So in the beginning you are supplying Washington and NY, then rolling that to the next states, and down the line. The federal government also has tools that states/regions don't...they can compel private companies to make goods, they have larger purchasing power, and they are coordinating information from the entire country and can step in and prioritize/arbitrate as necessary. You don't have states competing against each other for goods and driving up everyone's costs.

And what we are finding out is a couple of things...the system, as designed, does not appear to be adequate. Investigation should occur on how much of that was incompetence and how much was the overall design of the system. States fighting over resources, and it appears the feds also impounding purchases by states, is just a giant clusterfuck. There's also the question of how were decisions made on how much and what was stockpiled. Lots of this goes back decades.

One glaring thing that came out of this also is that while the whatever act that Trump enacted to make companies produce.  You had 3M then go out and sell those supplies to Canada.  So that has to really be looked at. 

Also the states competing against each other was happening and I think is still happening with respirator machines.  This is more difficult, because NY obviously needs more of these.  But in some areas, like rural areas, one machine could go a long ways.  And if say California blows up, then those that go to NY, the people in CA will say we want ours.

6 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of pandemic tax added to healthcare premiums going forward while it won't end up being spent where it should.  They of course won't call it that but until we can address the costs of healthcare nothing will change because as long as an ibuprofen cost $10+ in the hospital I don't count on the states or feds to be prepared because once the dust settles they'll revert to short term thinking which is more budget friendly when it comes to getting their pet projects funded. 

Seems cheap.

https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandemic/major-producer-of-hydroxychloroquine-once-paid-michael-cohen-hefty-sum-for-access-to-trump/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It just so happens that one of the largest manufacturers of the drug, Novartis, previously paid Trump’s now-incarcerated former personal attorney Michael Cohen more than $1 million for healthcare policy insight following Trump’s election in 2016.

Have at it, libs.