• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

28 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Dr. Drew apologizes, was 'wrong' about coronavirus threat

"My early comments about equating coronavirus with influenza were wrong. They were incorrect," Dr. Drew said on Saturday, referring to his consistent comments from February and March. "I was part of a chorus that was saying that, and we were wrong. And I want to apologize for that."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/dr-drew-apologizes-was-wrong-about-coronavirus-threat/ar-BB12cbT1

I think this is fair and responsible. I've even changed my stance on the virus, myself. While I tend to lean towards doctors and scientists opposed to just random Joe Blow and his uneducated thoughts on things, it's very interesting and telling to hear professionals talk about how little was known about this and at the same time everyone is working on the fly. It's this weird thing where everyone is learning about this as we go.

I did think a little bit about when I posted the video he was a little lackadaisical, but he's also more educated than I am. And I am the type to follow a doctors advice than someone on a message board.

I'll eat a little bit of crow on this, but don't regret posting a professionals opinion on something I could see being a bigger problem and trying to help educate or calm fears. Call me an optimist during these times.

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

11 minutes ago, red321 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/04/04/coronavirus-government-dysfunction/?arc404=true&fbclid=IwAR24HeuEgYoyzSnUyqw8B5blN2Xfs1g777jkhKeV_rE7-B4zC9eYkdRmVSU

Long, but should be required reading for everyone.

From the beginning, the US response, and especially the federal government's, has been a train wreck of epic proportions. At the end of this, the richest and supposedly most prepared country in the world, will probably have been hit the hardest. 

By the time Donald Trump proclaimed himself a wartime president — and the coronavirus the enemy — the United States was already on course to see more of its people die than in the wars of Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq combined....

the United States will likely go down as the country that was supposedly best prepared to fight a pandemic but ended up catastrophically overmatched by the novel coronavirus, sustaining heavier casualties than any other nation.

It did not have to happen this way. Though not perfectly prepared, the United States had more expertise, resources, plans and epidemiological experience than dozens of countries that ultimately fared far better in fending off the virus.

The failure has echoes of the period leading up to 9/11: Warnings were sounded, including at the highest levels of government, but the president was deaf to them until the enemy had already struck.

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

And yet, it took 70 days from that initial notification for Trump to treat the coronavirus not as a distant threat or harmless flu strain well under control, but as a lethal force that had outflanked America’s defenses and was poised to kill tens of thousands of citizens. That more-than-two-month stretch now stands as critical time that was squandered.

This reads a bit biased (not surprised by who posted it), from all the doctors and scientists I have come across everyone was ill prepared for what happened. It's also a bit disingenuous.....we have a large society that is a melting pot and that includes a ton of travel as people are generally transplants here or of different cultures.

Trump is a moron and trying to calm the nerves of everyone by downplaying it, but spreading shit like this that is pretty false from the doctors and scientists that I have spent many hours listening to.

I really don't get why you guys want to blame Trump when this is still an ongoing process or think he has a magic wand in a system of checks and balances. You guys look like immature fools and the same assholes that say "But Obama...."

Edited by Brandon

but never fear...at least while ignoring the top doctors and scientists on the coronavirus task force Trump's getting this advice from a solid source, right?

right...right...

Rudy Giuliani?

Oh fer fucks sake...we're doomed part 10,217 (as of 10:19am PDT, 4/6/2020)

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/where-things-stand-april-6-2020-giuliani-behind-this

In an interview with the Washington Post, Giuliani described himself as a special science adviser to Trump and said he has had several one-on-one calls with the President in recent weeks, hyping the efficacy of the use of an anti-malaria drug to treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. The use of the drug to treat or even cure the novel disease has not been proven, but Trump, and some of his White House advisers, have seized on a flawed study that claimed the drug, hydroxychloroquine, could treat the disease at the center of the pandemic.

“I discussed it with the President after he talked about it,” Giuliani told the Post in an interview. “I told him what I had on the drugs.”

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This reads a bit biased (not surprised by who posted it), from all the doctors and scientists I have come across everyone was ill prepared for what happened. It's also a bit disingenuous.....we have a large society that is a melting pot and that includes a ton of travel as people are generally transplants here or of different cultures.

Trump is a moron and trying to calm the nerves of everyone by downplaying it, but spreading shit like this that is pretty false from the doctors and scientists that I have spent many hours listening to.

I really don't get why you guys want to blame Trump when this is still an ongoing process or think he has a magic wand in a system of checks and balances. You guys look like immature fools and the same assholes that say "But Obama...."

did you read the entire article?

2 minutes ago, red321 said:

did you read the entire article?

The Washington Post, no. Not interested. Just read what you posted.

I've seen enough editorial changes, apologies, and incorrect information on the internet to not take them seriously.

Unfortunately, I can't take it seriously knowing it's like a righty posting a Fox News article.

Neither side sounded the alarm about any of this and up through early February the left was too occupied with the impeachment proceedings to think anything else was important.  As far as the US sustaining heavier casualties probably when it comes to the numbers actually reported but does anyone believe the numbers coming out of China, India and Russia are legit?  The country and the world weren't ready for this.  There's quotes popping up from when Bush was president, Fauci years ago, etc. saying the US wasn't prepared for a pandemic but none of that made either side or state governments prepare adequately but they don't let that fact stop them from pointing the finger somewhere else.  Years ago NY was told to buy additional ventilators but they opted to spend the money elsewhere because it wasn't an immediate need.  Too many of our elected officials and citizens suffer from the inability to think about the long term impact of their decisions because they're only concerned with living in the now.

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Dr. Fauci was also unprepared, saying on January 21st that the virus was "not something the citizens of the United States should be worried about."

But let's go get Trump.

The bottom line is this virus got us by the short and curlies. To think that we could have prevented it from coming here and spreading is delusional. This administration took the advice they got from medical experts and had they reacted like we are right now they would have been severely criticized for doing it at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 and mistakes were made. it’s obvious that even the medical community was and is struggling with this virus and the pandemic.  

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Dr. Fauci was also unprepared, saying on January 21st that the virus was "not something the citizens of the United States should be worried about."

But let's go get Trump.

Seriously. I love it how the Libs think Fauci is faultless in this entire thing. 

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Neither side sounded the alarm about any of this and up through early February the left was too occupied with the impeachment proceedings to think anything else was important.  As far as the US sustaining heavier casualties probably when it comes to the numbers actually reported but does anyone believe the numbers coming out of China, India and Russia are legit?  The country and the world weren't ready for this.  There's quotes popping up from when Bush was president, Fauci years ago, etc. saying the US wasn't prepared for a pandemic but none of that made either side or state governments prepare adequately but they don't let that fact stop them from pointing the finger somewhere else.  Years ago NY was told to buy additional ventilators but they opted to spend the money elsewhere because it wasn't an immediate need.  Too many of our elected officials and citizens suffer from the inability to think about the long term impact of their decisions because they're only concerned with living in the now.

This is true and a bit disheartening. While I'm not an economist, one of the doctors in one of the videos I posted mentioned how much we spend on military and defense, but the budget for medical is something like .03%...I may be off on the percentage as this was weeks ago.

I guess hindsight is 20/20, no one would think or bring this up until we are in the position we are now. But I think most of us see where and how the budget is handled and find it a bit egregious.

I think we were all a bit ignorant and didn't think this could happen....hell, even medical professionals were saying we will be fine or there is nothing to worry about and now we are in a spot where booze makers are using their distilleries to make hand sanitizer and Ford/ GE are now Turing warehouses into ventilator creation sites.

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The Washington Post, no. Not interested. Just read what you posted.

I've seen enough editorial changes, apologies, and incorrect information on the internet to not take them seriously.

Unfortunately, I can't take it seriously knowing it's like a righty posting a Fox News article.

laugh...ok dude...so basically you're full of shit when you talk about how you only want to see what the scientists and professionals have to say

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This is true and a bit disheartening. While I'm not an economist, one of the doctors in one of the videos I posted mentioned how much we spend on military and defense, but the budget for medical is something like .03%...I may be off on the percentage as this was weeks ago.

I guess hindsight is 20/20, no one would think or bring this up until we are in the position we are now. But I think most of us see where and how the budget is handled and find it a bit egregious.

I think we were all a bit ignorant and didn't think this could happen....hell, even medical professionals were saying we will be fine or there is nothing to worry about and now we are in a spot where booze makers are using their distilleries to make hand sanitizer and Ford/ GE are now Turing warehouses into ventilator creation sites.

It's a catch though.  Military and defense is all government.  Medicine is primarily private.  If anything, hospitals in general are closer to state and local than federal.  I.e. county and city hospitals.  And here is where a lot of analysis by those way higher on the pay grade will have to look.  Are we having these issues because the government was unprepared?  Or are we having these issues because hospitals didn't think it was necessary to have 20 million masks in their emergency supplies?  And the big rub is going to be, we think hospitals are already too expensive.  Now they are probably going to have to add costs on a future pandemic that might not happen before the stock expires.  

The scary thing is despite how much money our country spends each year we're woefully unprepared for more things than most people would realize or care to admit.  Our infrastructure is in terrible shape and is a security risk, we don't even have enough basic medical supplies like face masks during the current pandemic, we've off shored the production of essential items like antibiotics and the Fed's balance sheet was over 4T for 6+ years even before the pandemic hit which added another 2T and counting.  Our country and economy are really built on a house of cards because when you look at the underlying fundamentals we're extremely weak.

25 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

But let's go get Trump.

So, I'm assuming you also didn't read the article either

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Whoops 

I carefully broke down each word she used and what she described. I don't think that she was lying. CBS did this nurse no favors by not putting it in context, though, and that text above the video is deceptive. She also discloses that she has some mental health issues. Now, maybe there may he more to the situation than is presented in that twitter thread, but what she's saying in the video itself makes sense to me. Furthermore, some of the comments about her in the Twitter thread you linked are really terrible.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

The bottom line is this virus got us by the short and curlies. To think that we could have prevented it from coming here and spreading is delusional. This administration took the advice they got from medical experts and had they reacted like we are right now they would have been severely criticized for doing it at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 and mistakes were made. it’s obvious that even the medical community was and is struggling with this virus and the pandemic.  

sigh...nobody could have known...outside of all the experts who have warned us for years...and the intelligence agencies who starting warning the administration back in early January...and...and...and...and...