• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

Social media users demanded apologies from Rachel Maddow and MSNBC over the liberal host's insistence in March that the COVID-19 vaccine stops the virus dead in its tracks and prevents further transmission.

"Now we know that the vaccines work well enough that the virus stops with every vaccinated person," Maddow said on her show the evening of March 29, 2021. 

"A vaccinated person gets exposed to the virus, the virus does not infect them, the virus cannot then use that person to go anywhere else," she added with a shrug. "It cannot use a vaccinated person as a host to go get more people."

The vaccines, she said, "will get us to the end of this."

Good old trustworthy MSNBC

Always the making of a good article. 

6 minutes ago, cals said:

Possibly.  Jay, please name at least one vaccine that is 100% effective.  

I can’t think of any but this one isn’t great. Our refusal to upgrade it is just insane. I hate Aaron rodgers but he brought up a good point. All these athletic teams are approaching 90-100% vaccination status yet players keep testing positive. I still believe the vaccine is beneficial for most people but it mostly just limits the severity. It hasn’t been all that effective at preventing infection which was the main reason for all the vaccine shaming and mandates.  The government just keeps pushing the same old vaccine and we have people looking at a 4th dose in 18 months. This isn’t a winning strategy. We have better vaccines and alternative options available that go unused while we push a vaccine from 2019. The government is making us eat green beans when we want steak. 

4 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

I can’t think of any but this one isn’t great. Our refusal to upgrade it is just insane. I hate Aaron rodgers but he brought up a good point. All these athletic teams are approaching 90-100% vaccination status yet players keep testing positive. I still believe the vaccine is beneficial for most people but it mostly just limits the severity. It hasn’t been all that effective at preventing infection which was the main reason for all the vaccine shaming and mandates.  The government just keeps pushing the same old vaccine and we have people looking at a 4th dose in 18 months. This isn’t a winning strategy. We have better vaccines and alternative options available that go unused while we push a vaccine from 2019. The government is making us eat green beans when we want steak. 

I think that is the main reason to have the vaccines. We can all handle that 

7 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

You need to have more faith in Biden. He said he would get this virus under control unlike Trump. 

38 minutes ago, cals said:

Possibly.  Jay, please name at least one vaccine that is 100% effective.  

About the most effective are polio, smallpox and MMR. The effectiveness of preventing contracting those diseases is well above 95%. Also there are infinitely small numbers that suffer side effects of these immunizations.

There is a stark difference between that and the COVID Vaccine that does not necessarily prevent contracting the virus or being a carrier but it significantly reduces the risk along with reducing the symptoms should the infection take root. Hence the few that are hospitalized now that are vaccinated as opposed to those who are not and the morbity and long term health affects between the two groups.

To dismiss the effectiveness of this Vaccine that took less than 9 months to be put into mass circulation with such a high rate of effectiveness is complete head in the sand thinking. It took about 23 years to develop the Polio Vaccine. Advancements in science definitely reduce that time but this vaccine came out so quickly some components of a complete vaccination had to be set aside.

So, yes, it is flawed in that it isn't a completely formulated vaccine at the same level of well established vaccines. If you want you can play the Larry game of Russian roulette and wait for a complete vaccine that will reduce this virus to Smallpox level of world eradication. That may take a little more time so might want to wear your mask until then. 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

You need to have more faith in Biden. He said he would get this virus under control unlike Trump. 

I don’t expect politicians to end viruses. I expect them to get the hell out of the way and the American people will lead this country out of this mess. Unfortunately we have a man making mandates that isn’t adept at anything other than shitting his pants 

It’s beyond ever getting tamped down imo.  Too late for any of that.  There’s going to continuously be new variations and hopefully we can have a situation where you can get one reasonably effective shot a year.  At least better than the flu shot which is like 60% at best.  Best we can hope for beyond that is that it continues to be effective a limiting severity of symptoms.  Right now the situation looks like you need a new shot every 6 to 9 months.  Which isn’t a great situation.  I’m not concerned about vaccinations but I’m not sure I’m comfortable with getting 3 or 4 shots every 18 months. 

Hopefully it turns out that the oral anti viral stuff is effective.  I guess we’ll wait and see on that as I think those are slowly becoming available now. 

what the worthless government at the state and federal level should do is provide free tests and masks.  There’s nothing else to be done now it seems like.  Like I said.  Too late. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

About the most effective are polio, smallpox and MMR. The effectiveness of preventing contracting those diseases is well above 95%. Also there are infinitely small numbers that suffer side effects of these immunizations.

There is a stark difference between that and the COVID Vaccine that does not necessarily prevent contracting the virus or being a carrier but it significantly reduces the risk along with reducing the symptoms should the infection take root. Hence the few that are hospitalized now that are vaccinated as opposed to those who are not and the morbity and long term health affects between the two groups.

To dismiss the effectiveness of this Vaccine that took less than 9 months to be put into mass circulation with such a high rate of effectiveness is complete head in the sand thinking. It took about 23 years to develop the Polio Vaccine. Advancements in science definitely reduce that time but this vaccine came out so quickly some components of a complete vaccination had to be set aside.

So, yes, it is flawed in that it isn't a completely formulated vaccine at the same level of well established vaccines. If you want you can play the Larry game of Russian roulette and wait for a complete vaccine that will reduce this virus to Smallpox level of world eradication. That may take a little more time so might want to wear your mask until then. 

It’s Russian roulette with a gun with over 1000 chambers. Your odds of dying in a car crash are about 10 times higher. Have you parked the spitfire?

Dying isn’t the only adverse possible outcome with contracting covid.  It sucks to be very sick and stuck at home.  It sucks to make other people sick.  It’s more contagious than the flu.  This new variant substantially more contagious.  I appreciate that some of these things are just facts of life.  All of that is true. It may well get to the point where the impact is about the same of what we deal with with the flu.   But for now it’s still solidly worse.  Just dealing with it and that’s it isn’t a workable thing. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Kotchman said:

It’s Russian roulette with a gun with over 1000 chambers. Your odds of dying in a car crash are about 10 times higher. Have you parked the spitfire?

In the case of the Spitfire the chance of dying in a car accident is significantly higher since it is a tin can with a lawn mower engine but you've decided infectious diseases are the same as motoring so I really can't argue on that level. 

37 minutes ago, Blarg said:

In the case of the Spitfire the chance of dying in a car accident is significantly higher since it is a tin can with a lawn mower engine but you've decided infectious diseases are the same as motoring so I really can't argue on that level. 

Certainly not the same but the risk of driving is certainly more dangerous than corona. Again I’m pro vaccine but there is an argument that the risk out number the benefits for healthy middle age people and below. There have been multiple athletes world wide that had their careers ended by the vaccine. I believe the vaccine is mostly safe. However there is a reason the government wants to delay releasing the data 50-75 years and it isn’t lack of man power to process the request. All data could easily be made available online but that won’t happen. 

16 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Certainly not the same but the risk of driving is certainly more dangerous than corona. Again I’m pro vaccine but there is an argument that the risk out number the benefits for healthy middle age people and below. There have been multiple athletes world wide that had their careers ended by the vaccine. I believe the vaccine is mostly safe. However there is a reason the government wants to delay releasing the data 50-75 years and it isn’t lack of man power to process the request. All data could easily be made available online but that won’t happen. 

In 2020 there about 39,000 vehicle deaths on the US. Double that and you get about how many people in California alone that died of Covid. 

This why I can't argue with your analogy. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

In 2020 there about 39,000 vehicle deaths on the US. Double that and you get about how many people in California alone that died of Covid. 

This why I can't argue with your analogy. 

There were 1,300 corona deaths in California under the age of 35. That’s over a two year period. The number jumps to 7,000 total under the age of 50. Ironically 7,000 is about the amount of car deaths the last two years in California.  Covid just isn’t a significant killer of young healthy people and old farts like yourself need to quit brow beating the unvaccinated. You and I probably need the jab but unvaccinated Larrys aren’t playing Russian roulette. Also let’s quit experimenting on our young kids until we improve these vaccines. They are healthy and shouldn’t be used as a experimental  group with their whole lives ahead of them. 

Edited by Kotchman