• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

Harvard epidemiologist weighs in...

The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Harvard epidemiologist weighs in...

The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses...

I was just about to post this. It's not great.

37 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses...

When you consider how many people are in China - that doesn't seem far fetched...

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is it about Coronavirus that has people more worried than ever about viruses?     The number of people living in the country of its' origin?

https://www.sciencealert.com/coronavirus

Says Coronavirus was discovered in the 1960's.  But I think it's the death part that has people worried.  Mers, and Sars are also coronavirus' that caused death.

Unless I'm mistaken Zika was transmitted via mosquito bites and mothers who were infected transmitting it to their children when giving birth.  I think what scares people about the Corona Virus is how little they really know about it, it started in China where there's over 1B people sometimes in unsanitary conditions and the fact that it's transmitted from person to person.  They thought 14 days was adequate time for people to show signs of it and apparently they were wrong because people released after that tested positive later.  I'm anything but a health expert but when I see reports that they're trying to bring back people from cruise ships or overseas and placing them in Costa Mesa and other parts of the country I wonder why they aren't putting them all in one area.  Doesn't seem to me that bringing them to the greater Los Angeles area is a wise choice in case it spreads.  I think for the greater good anyone infected should have be held in quarantine as long as needed.  The mortality rate sounds low if what China is reporting is close to true but if it hits a large population and isn't contained the elderly, kids and those with weakened immune systems could result in a lot of deaths. 

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is it about Coronavirus that has people more worried than ever about viruses?     The number of people living in the country of its' origin?

4 strains of the coronavirus are responsible for variations of the common cold.  3 others are SARS, MERS and now this one.  SARS had a death rate of 10% but only infected a few thousand people, MERS had a death rate of 30% but infected even less, so they didn't transmit so easily between people.  This one seems to transmit more like the common cold with around 80,000 cases already.  The death rate is lower, around 2-3%, but if this thing transmits all the way around the globe then imagine 2-3% of the world dying because of it (hundreds of millions of people).  

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Unless I'm mistaken Zika was transmitted via mosquito bites and mothers who were infected transmitting it to their children when giving birth.  I think what scares people about the Corona Virus is how little they really know about it, it started in China where there's over 1B people sometimes in unsanitary conditions and the fact that it's transmitted from person to person.  They thought 14 days was adequate time for people to show signs of it and apparently they were wrong because people released after that tested positive later.  I'm anything but a health expert but when I see reports that they're trying to bring back people from cruise ships or overseas and placing them in Costa Mesa and other parts of the country I wonder why they aren't putting them all in one area.  Doesn't seem to me that bringing them to the greater Los Angeles area is a wise choice in case it spreads.  I think for the greater good anyone infected should have be held in quarantine as long as needed.  The mortality rate sounds low if what China is reporting is close to true but if it hits a large population and isn't contained the elderly, kids and those with weakened immune systems could result in a lot of deaths. 

Putting contagious folks around others sounds like something Gavin Newsom would do.