mymerlincat

Would you rather overpay in trade assets or in free agent money/term for a frontline starter?

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sign me up.  Problem is he’s going to cost Adell and Canning 

Not so sure about Adell , but l would have to think real hard about Marsh and Canning...

You can't get quality starting pitching without a little pain...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

32 minutes ago, Second Base said:

As I said, overpay in quantity over quality. Like Jordyn Adams, Luis Rengifo, Trent Deveaux, Patrick Sandoval, Hector Yan, and Aaron Hernandez. 

Six prospects is a haul and can change the entire direction of a system. Realistically, from that crop of six, you're getting a starting outfielder, starting infielder, back end starting pitcher, pinch running 4th outfielder and a couple of hard throwing relievers. 

Not a single one will likely be better than Clevinger, who figures to be worth 5 wins above replacement annually, but collectively, that return should be worth around 7-8 wins annually. 

You’d be hard pressed to find a GM who would take quantity over quality for a top asset. One five win player is worth a lot more than a handful of players, regardless of whether they combine for more wins. 7-8 wins for 6 guys is basically what you get in the bargain bin for peanuts every offseason. 

5 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I think it’s become apparent that unless we develop one ourselves, which isn’t likely considering who we have in the system, we’re going to be forced to offer more than most of us, and the front office are comfortable with, in either a trade, or by signing a free agent.  Which overpay would you rather make?

Well, it depends on the timing and the length of contract/control. I would not have overpaid for Cole at 9/324. I would not trade Adell, Marsh or Canning for 1 or 2 years of a Mike Clevinger, Matthew Boyd or Robbie Ray.

I would have paid Cole Hamels 1/18. I think he was the perfect bridge to the development of our young arms.  I would have paid Alex Wood 1/8 for the same reason but with reduced expectations.

28 minutes ago, RBM said:

Well, it depends on the timing and the length of contract/control. I would not have overpaid for Cole at 9/324. I would not trade Adell, Marsh or Canning for 1 or 2 years of a Mike Clevinger, Matthew Boyd or Robbie Ray.

I would have paid Cole Hamels 1/18. I think he was the perfect bridge to the development of our young arms.  I would have paid Alex Wood 1/8 for the same reason but with reduced expectations.

3 yrs for Clevenger

56 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

3 yrs for Clevenger

You're right. I thought it was two. Thanks.

I still don't think I would give up six or seven years of Adell, Marsh or Canning for Clevinger. Tough call.

What would you do?

1 hour ago, RBM said:

You're right. I thought it was two. Thanks.

I still don't think I would give up six or seven years of Adell, Marsh or Canning for Clevinger. Tough call.

What would you do?

Marsh and Canning for Clevinger, maybe

2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

You’d be hard pressed to find a GM who would take quantity over quality for a top asset. One five win player is worth a lot more than a handful of players, regardless of whether they combine for more wins. 7-8 wins for 6 guys is basically what you get in the bargain bin for peanuts every offseason. 

So you're saying Jordyn Adams, Luis Rengifo and Patrick Sandoval have as much value as a random bargain bin player? 

Because if that's what you're saying then I think we can stop talking right here. 

57 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So you're saying Jordyn Adams, Luis Rengifo and Patrick Sandoval have as much value as a random bargain bin player? 

Because if that's what you're saying then I think we can stop talking right here. 

I didn’t say that. You said the 6 players you named were worth 7-8 wins annually. That’s...not much. Certainly not enough to justify even considering trading a legitimate 2 (borderline 1) who is controlled for three years. 

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

33 pitchers pitched over 180 innings last year.  So one a team.  That number will go down going forward.  

The true workhorses of baseball are evaporated. Gone are the days of the Fernando Valbuena’s. The true game of baseball has changed so much it’s hardly worth the price of admission. Now for your ticket you get an opener, then 4 to 5 innings of a starter with a pitch count. Most of the pitching records will never be broken. I miss the days when starters took pride in complete games. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Angels would do that. The Indians wouldn’t. 

so you're implying that it would cost Adell and Marsh and Canning?  

I would like to take this time to remind people that Clevinger pitched 126 innings last year 

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I would like to take this time to remind people that Clevinger pitched 126 innings last year 

Adell plus one (Rengifo, Canning, Sandoval, etc).

I think people don’t appreciate the value of 3 years control.

Here’s some homework: make a list of every above average major leaguer who has been traded with 3 years of control in the past 5 years. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Here’s some homework: make a list of every above average major leaguer who has been traded with 3 years of control in the past 5 years. 

It's why I think the Angels won't trade for him. It's an expensive trade for a guy who while healthy was dominant. The Angels need health.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I went back and found only 3 in the last 2 years.

Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano were in the same deal, and although Cano was still above average, he had a huge contract, which the Mets had to take to get Diaz.

The other was Jean Segura, for whom the Phillies gave up Carlos Santana and JP Crawford, one of their top prospects. 

All three were traded by the Mariners, who were not trying to win the following season. The Indians are still trying to win. 

Before that, I think you have to go back to Yelich, also traded by a team not trying to win.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Yeah there’s no way we give Adell along with Canning 

21 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I went back and found only 3 in the last 2 years.

Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano were in the same deal, and although Cano was still above average, he had a huge contract, which the Mets had to take to get Diaz.

The other was Jean Segura, for whom the Phillies gave up Carlos Santana and JP Crawford, one of their top prospects. 

All three were traded by the Mariners, who were not trying to win the following season. The Indians are still trying to win. 

Before that, I think you have to go back to Yelich, also traded by a team not trying to win.

of course it was Dipoto

14 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Best example of all time (in best Oracle):  The NFL's Chicago Cardinals had a dynamic RB named Ollie Matson in the 1950's.   Before the 1959 season, they traded him to the Rams for 11 players.   One problem for the Cardinals, most of those 11 players were in the words of the team's trainer, absolute garbage.   

13 hours ago, floplag said:

This
You dont overpay for this.
If there is any question at all in terms of innings or quality, you dont overpay. 

And Clevinger's delivery makes him more vulnerable to injury.    Just develop pitching better on the farm.