• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros might suck in 2020

Second Base

I agree with others that all the distractions, changes in leadership, inability to cheat in the same way, and the embarrassment/shame will hurt the Astros.

But...  IMHO, their biggest potential weakness is in their rotation.   With Cole gone, there is a lot more dependence on the aging aces Verlander and Grienke.      If just one of them go down and/or just lose effectiveness....that puts them two aces down from what they had in 2019.    That's a game changer.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

ZIPs projections for the Tigers are brutal....  Their entire team is predicted for 17 WAR.  And 3.2 of that is coming from the Schoop/Cron signings.   

To put it into perspective, prior to those two signings their entire team was on pace for the same WAR total as our vaunted rotation..

why did schoop sign with the tigers? talented kid who could have played on teams far better than detroit. he was highly sought after when he was in baltimore.

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

why did schoop sign with the tigers? talented kid who could have played on teams far better than detroit. he was highly sought after when he was in baltimore.

Yeah, he looked like he might be an up and comer after his big 2017, but he's regressed since then and his walk rate hasn't improved.  That weak OBP makes him unattractive to those better, smarter, teams....   He's a K machine too.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

If I'm Verlander I'm demanding a trade

Your assuming he isnt complicit.  God knows their success helped him extend his career. 
When was the last time you saw a pitchers ERA drop by a full run, or two, in his age 34/35 seasons?
Would it shock anyone if they were using this to aid pitchers to by helping to translate signals to batters and such?
At this point its just sour grapes on my part im sure, but batters arent the only ones that went to Hou and got tons better

18 hours ago, Ceramic said:

Does it make Strasburg the GOAT to get thru that lineup of cheaters?

I had the impression that, by this time, the Nats suspected the Astros were cheating and they went to extraordinary measures to make their catcher's signs harder to steal.    Makes me wonder if the Astros had become a little dependent on the sign stealing advantage and if they had trouble adjusting to playing without it.

EDIT:   Astros scored 4, 3, 2, & 2 runs in the four games at MM park.   (2.75 average)    vs.   4, 8, & 7 in Wash.  (6.33 average)..... so, maybe....

49 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I had the impression that, by this time, the Nats suspected the Astros were cheating and they went to extraordinary measures to make their catcher's signs harder to steal.    Makes me wonder if the Astros had become a little dependent on the sign stealing advantage and if they had trouble adjusting to playing without it.

EDIT:   Astros scored 4, 3, 2, & 2 runs in the four games at MM park.   (2.75 average)    vs.   4, 8, & 7 in Wash.  (6.33 average)..... so, maybe....

I distinctly remember them going to the complex signs with nobody on base at one point. It was certainly odd.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, floplag said:

Your assuming he isnt complicit.  God knows their success helped him extend his career. 
When was the last time you saw a pitchers ERA drop by a full run, or two, in his age 34/35 seasons?
Would it shock anyone if they were using this to aid pitchers to by helping to translate signals to batters and such?
At this point its just sour grapes on my part im sure, but batters arent the only ones that went to Hou and got tons better

Huh? What signs?

You mean so they’d know the one time a game that a hit and run is on? 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Huh? What signs?

You mean so they’d know the one time a game that a hit and run is on? 

Or a take, if there even is such a thing anymore.  We all know bunting is right out.
I'll admit a degree of anger clouding me slightly but there is just no way every player on that time, hitter or pitcher, wasnt fully aware of some guy not 10 feet from them banging a trashcan with a radio on his damned head and potentially trying to take advantage of it somehow.
It taints all of them.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t think there is. 

Either way the pitchers were still complicit and benefited from what the batters were doing.
I find it tremendously hard to believe no one noticed bangs loud enough to be heard in the batters box from behind the dugout regardless of position.

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

Either way the pitchers were still complicit and benefited from what the batters were doing.
I find it tremendously hard to believe no one noticed bangs loud enough to be heard in the batters box from behind the dugout regardless of position.

I agree that they must have known what the hitters were doing, but to suggest that they were also getting some benefit from the sign stealing toward their performance -- not just the run support -- is a stretch.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:22 AM, Stradling said:

I have no problem assuming they cheated on the road, but how?  The replay set up is on a delay and my understanding is there is no live feed going into dugouts/clubhouses.  If there were live feeds why would the home team set that up in the visitors dugout or clubhouse?  

They could've had a video in the stands, but I bet they were just tapping into the live TV feed on a laptop (or from the replay room) and relaying the signals using buzzer bandaids.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

They could've had a video in the stands, but I bet they were just tapping into the live TV feed on a laptop (or from the replay room) and relaying the signals using buzzer bandaids.

The live TV feed is on a delay, So it has to be something else.