Sign in to follow this  
John Taylor

Red Sox fire Alex Cora

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont even care at this point, without a simple player missing a single games its completely meaningless.

I disagree about being completely meaningless. The penalties on the Astros will hurt the team for quite a while, and the removal of the "mastermind" Cora from Managing (for what I'll guess will be at least a couple of seasons) will affect both teams implicated. I do think that players involved shoud be suspended as well, and the Astros should forfeit the 2017 WS Title (But not give it to the Doyyers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont even care at this point, without a simple player missing a single games its completely meaningless.

The long term (3-5 years) health of the team is much worse losing picks than it would be from suspending players.  Also losing the GM that crafted this team is not even a little bit meaningless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

I disagree about being completely meaningless. The penalties on the Astros will hurt the team for quite a while, and the removal of the "mastermind" Cora from Managing (for what I'll guess will be at least a couple of seasons) will affect both teams implicated. I do think that players involved shoud be suspended as well, and the Astros should forfeit the 2017 WS Title (But not give it to the Doyyers).

I highly doubt losing 4 kids from the tail end of rounds and 5 M hurts them that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The long term (3-5 years) health of the team is much worse losing picks than it would be from suspending players.  Also losing the GM that crafted this team is not even a little bit meaningless. 

So punishing people that had nothing whatsoever to do with the crime.
Youre right of course but i really dont care about the next 3-5 in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont even care at this point, without a simple player missing a single games its completely meaningless.

You can bet most managers are gonna cut shit like this out if they find their players doing it, especially if Hinch or Cora aren’t back in baseball next year.

Remember that this is just as much about enforcement as it is punishment. Much easier to have the manager and GM be held accountable - individuals with authority - be accountable than 30-40-50 odd players, bench staff, auxiliary personnel, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, totdprods said:

You can bet most managers are gonna cut shit like this out if they find their players doing it, especially if Hinch or Cora aren’t back in baseball next year.

Remember that this is just as much about enforcement as it is punishment. Much easier to have the manager and GM be held accountable - individuals with authority - be accountable than 30-40-50 odd players, bench staff, auxiliary personnel, etc. 

Hinch tried, got ignored, still got fired... the lunatics are running the asylum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Hinch tried, got ignored, still got fired... the lunatics are running the asylum.

There wasn’t much precedent or reason to believe he’d lose his job. Bet managers will treat things like this a little more carefully now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what this means for Ron Roenicke (who is their bench coach)?

Does he get the managerial position? Or will he be out of a job?

Edited by True Grich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

There wasn’t much precedent or reason to believe he’d lose his job. Bet managers will treat things like this a little more carefully now.

Again he tried to stop it, destroyed the monitors and such from what ive read the staff and players kept putting them back.
Scapegoat him all you want, bottom line the players used it, the players benefited from it on field and monetarily, and they got no punishment whatsoever. 
Thats wrong under any logical argument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Again he tried to stop it, destroyed the monitors and such from what ive read the staff and players kept putting them back.
Scapegoat him all you want, bottom line the players used it, the players benefited from it on field and monetarily, and they got no punishment whatsoever. 
Thats wrong under any logical argument. 

So he made a half-ass attempt. If he wanted to really stop it, he would’ve put an end to it. Now that these managers, most of them having not earned huge dollars playing, know the penalty is possibly a life-long ban, I bet they’ll take this more seriously.

Just as importantly, however, Manfred said, “Hinch admits he did not stop it and he did not notify players or [Alex Cora, then the Astros’ bench coach] that he disapproved of it, even after the Red Sox were disciplined in September 2017. Similarly, he knew of and did not stop the communication of sin information from the replay review room, although he disagreed with this practice as well and specifically voiced his concerns on at least one occasion about the use of the replay phone for this purpose.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, floplag said:

So punishing people that had nothing whatsoever to do with the crime.
Youre right of course but i really dont care about the next 3-5 in this case.

No.  That’s not what I mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Cora should be out of baseball for a minimum of two years. it'd be an easy decision for me to give him a lifetime ban since he was involved two years in a row.

I still don't understand why they didn't vacate the Astros WS title nor why they didn't try to discipline any of the players. I think you could do something like 50 games per player, staggered throughout the season instead of all players involved all at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, totdprods said:

So he made a half-ass attempt. If he wanted to really stop it, he would’ve put an end to it. Now that these managers, most of them having not earned huge dollars playing, know the penalty is possibly a life-long ban, I bet they’ll take this more seriously.

Just as importantly, however, Manfred said, “Hinch admits he did not stop it and he did not notify players or [Alex Cora, then the Astros’ bench coach] that he disapproved of it, even after the Red Sox were disciplined in September 2017. Similarly, he knew of and did not stop the communication of sin information from the replay review room, although he disagreed with this practice as well and specifically voiced his concerns on at least one occasion about the use of the replay phone for this purpose.”

Better than nothing, which is the exact opposite of what the players made who got no penalty at all so, meh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this