• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Matt Andriese for Jeremy Beasley, DFA Luis Madero

mmc

12 minutes ago, ettin said:

More specifically the ones he has been acquiring lately have high curve ball spin rates.

My question for those of you smarter than me....

Is Billy's spin rate, the new money ball OBP theory?

At what point does spin rate back fire?  We dont seem to have much success in this area.

I know most managers dont have a say, but could this also be a Maddon suggestion?

Just now, HaloNArizona said:

At what point does spin rate back fire?  We dont seem to have much success in this area.

I know most managers dont have a say, but could this also be a Maddon suggestion?

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Trying to be positive in that they will be including someone in the current rotation to acquire a better starter. Perhaps Heaney is on the move?

Why would you trade Heaney. He made 30 starts a year ago and had an under 4 era. He is still young. Heaney is a vital part of this rotation. 

26 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Not a huge fan, but Andriese makes sense. He does into that 6th starter role where he's a starter twice a month because of Ohtani's schedule, and the rest of the time, he works in extended relief.

Not sure I would've traded Beasley though. He's got a good splitter that's only getting better. It feels like they paid something for a player they probably could've acquired for nothing. 

But I think it goes without saying, this isn't what Angels fans are looking for, nor what the Angels actually need. But then again, Eppler really hasn't focused much on Angels actual needs this off-season as much as he's just focusing on proving to everyone he can unearth value where others can't. 

It's just sort of.... meh.

Agree with this. I feel we do need a good swingman & would have preferred signing someone like Colin McHugh. We need some versatility in the pen. Not sweating losing Beasley but I do hope maderos makes it through waivers. I was surprised they added him to the 40 man last year so he must've not been progressing as well as they hoped he would. 

Just now, Lou said:

Incorrect

Sorry was looking at FIP for some reason. But in 2018 he started 30 games. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Heaney hasn't had an ERA under 4.00 since 2015.

Again was looking at something else. 4.15 era in 2018 isn't bad. He is still young. He is just coming into the prime of his career with a better pitching coach and manager. 

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Why would you trade Heaney. He made 30 starts a year ago and had an under 4 era. He is still young. Heaney is a vital part of this rotation. 

He had a 4.15 ERA and has never been anything spectacular. However teams may see the cost and hope that the upside still exists. I for one don't believe it does.

(Eppler makes minor trade for cheap, relatively effective, multi-inning pitcher with options for nothing)

Angelswin: "That's it, Eppler?!  You're obviously done now that you did something and it's January 14th and you obviously can't make any more moves obviously!  What the hell!  I can't believe this is the only move you're going to make to address the pitching the rest of this offseason...presumably!"

Edited by mulwin444

8 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

(Eppler makes minor trade for cheap, relatively effective, multi-inning pitcher with options for nothing)

Angelswin: "That's it, Eppler?!  You're obviously done now that you did something and it's January 14th and you obviously can't make any more moves obviously!  What the hell!  I can't believe this is the only move you're going to make to address the pitching the rest of this offseason...presumably!"

Madero and Beasley are our #11 and 18 prospects.  I wouldn’t call it nothing.

15 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

This is just speculation on my part but yes I think they have realized that high spin rate off of a curve ball, which generally runs from a high 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock vertical drop, makes the pitch more difficult to pick up and spot, thus fooling hitters into swing and miss or flat out taking strikes. Additionally the harder vertical drop (rather than a pitch moving left to right, staying in the same horizontal plane of a bat swing) probably leads to poorer contact, whether it is a fly ball or ground ball, limiting harder direct contact.

It could be an inefficiency in the market or just simply a preferred way to attack hitters in the batter's box that produces favorable run prevention results.

I don't think the spin rate thing can backfire to be honest, it is a matter of hitters seeing the ball and if higher spin rate creates more doubt for the hitter, high spin rate pitchers will be in demand.

Eppler and the front office were doing this prior to Maddon's arrival so, no, it is not related to his arrival.

26 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

At the speed of sound?

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

Madero and Beasley are our #11 and 18 prospects.  I wouldn’t call it nothing.

Madero was DFA'd after a AA which saw him produce 5.72 ERA 1.572 WHIP 11.7 H/9 7.5 K/9 in 89.2 IP...Beasley was pretty "meh" as well between AA/AAA.

Maybe one or both turn into a decent reliever at some point but they need depth now and got somebody who can produce at the MLB level with potential for some upside.

Pretty close to nothing...