• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

On a scale of 1 to 10...

Torridd

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So just to be clear a negative number lower than zero is even happier?

No, the scale is from 1 to 10 so 0 or a negative number means you are stupid.

I am about a 5 on this scale. Not thrilled but not depressed either. More work needs to be done.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, the scale is from 1 to 10 so 0 or a negative number means you are stupid.

I am about a 5 on this scale. Not thrilled but not depressed either. More work needs to be done.

I was marginally happy but now that I have been called stupid my rating changes to. . . Wait 1 is better good not unhappy or 10 is high for the opposite of unhappy?

And are we sure negative numbers are out of bounds?

33 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I was marginally happy but now that I have been called stupid my rating changes to. . . Wait 1 is better good not unhappy or 10 is high for the opposite of unhappy?

And are we sure negative numbers are out of bounds?

I think not preferred would be a better way of saying it.

the plan is and has always been about how to make the team better for the next 5-6 years as the #1 priority.  Somewhere on the priority list was also making the team better for 2020.  There are only so many opportunities to accomplish both in each player you acquire or sign.  Rendon is one of them.  Bundy, Teheran, Ryu, Keuchel, Kluber etc are not.  

So then it becomes about managing risk.  

Better now, or better later.  Or a little bit of both.  At the very least, you can work towards being better now without damaging your ability to be better later.  This year, Eppler needs to show that he can do the former as he's very good at the latter.  By and large, his short term vision has failed.  Some of which is not his fault and some of which is.  The part where it's not his fault is the effective payroll.  And by effective, I mean not just what was spent overall, but what he had to spend.  Having an additional 20-30 m to spend per year doesn't mean you have to make long term commitments that handcuff you for the future.  And frankly, that is where Arte has failed.  I was perfectly fine with avoiding 4 and 5 year commitments on a whole mess of guys that weren't worth it.  It's those 1-2 year deals (and sometimes 3) where GMs and owner earn their money.  

So there are two ratings to give out.  One for 2020 and one for the future.  I'd give 2020 a 5.  Middle of the pack in terms of satisfied.  Based on the OP's ranking system, I would give beyond 2020 a 3 ie very satisfied.  Had we signed Cole in addition to everything else that's been done, they'd both be a 2.  Had we signed RYU, they'd both move to a 4.  For now, I'm ok (not thrilled) with the future number being better.  But this is probably the last year I'll be ok with it.  

I am a 3 on this weird inverted scale of unhappiness. It's fundamentally backwards, because people associate 10 with good and 1 with bad on nearly every 1-10 scale.

It's like saying, how hot is that girl, 1 being smoking hot and 10 being a troll...It doesn't work.

Anyway, would I like a better ace pitcher, yes, but the one I wanted is the one they didn't keep last offseason, and that's Garrett Richards. Yes I wanted Gerrit Cole too, but Cole signed for more money and years than I was comfortable with and my second choice wanted to be with his horses in Arizona.

But I like Teheran and Bundy, I'm excited to see Ohtani pitch again, and I love the Rendon signing. Can't wait to see Adell and hopefully Marsh.

Too many posters are treating last year as if it's the baseline, when it was a year marred by tragedy and also injury...with a new manager who sucked and a terrible record down the stretch (18-41 from the high point in late July).

I honestly believe that the 2019 team as constructed was an 82-85 win team, with no Skaggs tragedy and a better manager. If they kept Scioscia for year 20, and said, ok lets go for it for one more year.. this team would've been better.

Take that and add in the changes they've made and I'm fairly happy. I'm not ecstatic, like a 10...I mean 1 on the scale...

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

the plan is and has always been about how to make the team better for the next 5-6 years as the #1 priority. 

I think there is a hard reality people need to accept.

Everyone keeps talking about the trout window. The reality is, its already passed.

Is trout in his prime? Of course. Will he continue to be? Yep. But the reality is he got here when our farm sucked, and we had a bad mlb team, and every pitcher blew out their arm. 

And we are not getting that back. 

In order to avoid that situation again, its best to take the long approach instead of the win now.

Its better to build a very good team around end of his peak, still very good legacy player trout, instead of recreating the same problem hoping to catch lightning in the bottle in the next 3 years or so.