• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros punishments: suspensions, firings, team gets over, everyone is pissed.

mmc

20 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

so be it.  but at least MLB would have taken some sort of stance even if in vain.  And will all the player support against those that cheated, it would have been very interesting to see MLB put the onerous on the mlbpa to make a decision as to how to move forward.  My guess is that even if they supported the players, there would have been some internal conflict and it would have taken the impetus off the player to take matters into their own hands.  The political play by mlb was short-sighted and I've been saying all along that the players needed to be punished for this very reason.  I get that it would have been complicated, but how is it now?  

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so be it.  but at least MLB would have taken some sort of stance even if in vain.  And will all the player support against those that cheated, it would have been very interesting to see MLB put the onerous on the mlbpa to make a decision as to how to move forward.  My guess is that even if they supported the players, there would have been some internal conflict and it would have taken the impetus off the player to take matters into their own hands.  The political play by mlb was short-sighted and I've been saying all along that the players needed to be punished for this very reason.  I get that it would have been complicated, but how is it now?  

Maybe strip the title.  Players keep their bonuses, rings, statistics, so it's not "personal."  It could be argued that the entire organization gets an organizational consequence of having their championship voided.  Bold move, and will not happen.  But it might pass the MLBPA sniff test.

Uhh, Just Delusional Martinez, there is already too much offense today, especially the stupid 3 outcomes that it has become.

And yes, video is important in studying your hitting.   Video is also NOT meant to be abused to cheat with.

You think it’s harsh now?   Wait until the fans get their say during the Cheatin Asstros games on the road.

Can’t wait to see the ruling on the Red Sux a week from now.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The whole bit about the union filing grievances doesn't make sense in light of how angry most of the union's members appear to be about the Astros cheating. The players clearly don't think justice was served, but their union would file grievances if the commish punished the Astros?  I don't get it.

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

4 hours ago, True Grich said:

The whole bit about the union filing grievances doesn't make sense in light of how angry most of the union's members appear to be about the Astros cheating. The players clearly don't think justice was served, but their union would file grievances if the commish punished the Astros?  I don't get it.

It's either a total cop out or total incompetence. The scandal has blown up so much precisely because the players weren't punished and they took that to mean that the league agrees that they did nothing wrong. A harsh penalty, even if over turned through grievance would have changed the narrative. Furthermore if the MLBPA really tried to dig in it's heels on this issue they would come out looking so bad that ownership would have all the negotiation power in the up coming CBA negotiations.

Saw this tidbit in a recent OC Register Article. 

“Our early efforts were not particularly successful in terms of making progress with the investigation,” Manfred said. “My office then contacted the MLBPA to request player cooperation. We wanted players to submit to interviews. The MLBPA asked if we had a disciplinary intention. I think the response was, that we could not rule that out. The union indicated to us that that would be a problem.” 

The union told MLB, Manfred said, that the players would only cooperate if they received “blanket immunity.” MLB agreed, for lack of a better alternative.

Looks like Manfred is calling out the MLBPA for the immunity given to the Astros. They wouldn’t force the players to the table without the blanket immunity given. If that’s the truth then the onus for the players not being punished is squarely on the union. I can’t imagine some smart reporter doesn’t pull on that thread to get it to unravel. Doing things like asking players what they think about their union being responsible for the light punishments on their fellow players. This could be interesting.

29 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Astros players throw shade at Doders, say they'll "shut everybody up" as sign-sealing talk continues.

Of course... this is exactly the way we thought they would respond.  They're adopting an "us vs. them" attitude. They're victims. They're arrogant. Whatever....

If they miss the playoffs this year that would be one of the greatest moments in baseball history.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, yk9001 said:

Given the various reactions by players all over the major leagues, I don't think this electronic stealing is as prevalent as was discussed by some posters here a month ago.

I don't think "everybody is doing it" is really happening.

i wouldn't be surprised if there was some faux outrage here, but you make a good point and i agree with you.

maybe it'll be more telling to see who doesn't speak out against the astros...

Reddick: Astros going to win, 'shut everybody up'

The Houston Astros seem convinced that at least one thing will get everyone to stop talking about their sign-stealing: winning games.

Looking to move past the scandal that rocked Major League Baseball, Josh Reddick and right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. weighed in on the chorus of criticism that the club has received from around the league.

"At some point, you have to move on and not give a shit," Reddick said, according to Sam Fortier of the Washington Post. "We're going to go out there and win and shut everybody up."

"(The trash-talkers) are going to have to play us," McCullers added. "Except for the guys who are popping off the most."

McCullers appears to be referring to Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Ross Stripling and Cincinnati Reds ace Trevor Bauer, both of whom have recently said they would plunk Houston batters if given the chance. The Astros aren't scheduled to meet either of those National League teams during the regular season.

Dodgers outfielder Cody Bellinger argued last week that Houston should be stripped of its championship as well as Jose Altuve's 2017 MVP. When McCullers was asked if he'd like to settle the dispute with the Dodgers and their stars in the Fall Classic, he replied, "If we get to the World Series, we'll play any team."