• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros punishments: suspensions, firings, team gets over, everyone is pissed.

mmc

3 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

For those of you that want players suspended, how would that happen exactly? How can you prove which players knew about it and which didn't? Which players benefited from it? Is it the assumption that every single player knew what was going on and no one said a word? In that case, do you suspend or terminate the contracts of all of the Astros players? There is no way in the world the players union would just sit back and let that happen.

From the report:

Most of the position players on the 2017 team either received sign information from the banging scheme or participated in the scheme by helping to decode signs or bang on the trash can. Many of the players who were interviewed admitted that they knew the scheme was wrong because it crossed the line from what the player believed was fair competition and/or violated MLB rules. Players stated that if Manager A.J. Hinch told them to stop engaging in the conduct, they would have immediately stopped.

Sounds like most / all of them admitted they participated.  But Manfred decided not to punish any players for the conduct.  Which is sort of contradictory - he said the players organized it and  (potentially) benefited from it, but are exempt from punishment.  

The loss of the draft picks isn't particularly punitive - drafting 30th -  to really make it sting, he should've also taken the $5m out of their international bonus pool money over 2 years.  

They key for me was targeting the GM.  A lifetime ban would have been even better....but this got him fired and cost him a minimum of one year salary and may even see him out of baseball.   That's gonna make other GM's take pause.    Otherwise, the Astros profited from cheating overall in terms of profit, fanbase, and talent accumulation.     The dollar amount of the fine is a just a joke in these days.    Ownership was rewarded for hiring scum and letting them do their scum schtick.   But, again, putting the hurt on the GM is gonna help this be less of an issue down the road.

For all of the people in this thread talking about how dirty the Astros are, relishing in their punishment, etc., remember that the Angels still have their own investigation looming over them for very different, but still extremely serious, issues, as well.  Might want to dial back some of the glee you're feeling right now.

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

For all of the people in this thread talking about how dirty the Astros are, relishing in their punishment, etc., remember that the Angels still have their own investigation looming over them for very different, but still extremely serious, issues, as well.  Might want to dial back some of the glee you're feeling right now.

Until evidence comes out that the Angels had a widespread drug problem and everyone knew about it, I'll relish in the Astros getting caught and punished.

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

No

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Nah.  I’ll carry on with the glee I’m feeling right now.

Thanks though.

I haven’t seen any comments from the Dodgers yet considering they lost a World Series during this time I wonder if they feel the punishment is sufficient. I would also be curious to know how much money in bonus money their players would have earned with a World Series win is it less than $5M?

2 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

I haven’t seen any comments from the Dodgers yet considering they lost a World Series during this time I wonder if they feel the punishment is sufficient. I would also be curious to know how much money in bonus money their players would have earned with a World Series win is it less than $5M?

58 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

STFU. I'll have my day of glee.

Also...

You must be a blast at parties.

I would have liked to see some kind international spending penalty, too.

The fine is easily saved by not having to pay the two suspended.  It's not much, but why should the owner get crushed? He probably didnt know.  

Player discipline is tough.  

The suspensions and firings are certainly going to make people in those positions more likely to stop what was happening... if they know it is.

Alex Cora is toast.