mymerlincat

Astros punishments: A.J. Hinch and Jeff Luhnow suspended for a year (fired by Crane), team loses 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021

Ok, thoughts after processing the news today:

At first glance, it seems light to me. It isn't in any sense 'a slap on the wrist', so 'lol' to that, but it also isn't nearly what they could've done. Having said that, it appears that they only have evidence of cheating in 2017. I may have missed it, but I saw no mention of 2018 or 2019 at all, which tells me, either a) they only investigated 2017, or b) no one would cop to later seasons and they didn't have any evidence on it. Either way, cheating in the WS is a big deal, but if it wasn't going on all along, the punishment probably makes more sense. Reporters on twitter seem to think this is a huge punishment, for what it's worth.

Giving Crane's firing of Hinch and Luhnow (possibly others as well - have to wait and see), it could turn into a much longer suspension effectively if they're viewed as damaged goods. I'm sure someone will hire both, but it might be a few years. 

On the draft pick losses. It'll hurt, but they'll be mostly fine, I think. It's unclear to me whether or not the money that accompanies those draft slots is being forfeited as well. If not, that's utter garbage. If it is, it's an okay penalty, but not gigantic.

It'll be interesting to see what the fallout is. We've already seen Crane begin to respond, whether he goes farther, we'll have to wait and see. If he cleans house, that would be huge - Astros success is due to their front office. If they get pushed out, their future is a lot murkier (long-term, at least, if not short-term). 

Red Sox investigation just starting, apparently. Does Cora get banned a season? More? I guess it depends. Reports I saw of the Red Sox's system seemed less elaborate, but I'd imagine he gets at least a year and probably fired as well. Unlike the Astros, if the Red Sox get hit with 1st/2nd pick losses the next two years, that hurts them big time. The Astros can probably stand it. The Sox can't. I wonder if they get similar penalties? They won a WS also, and I heard Manfred will be especially harsh on them (whatever that means) due to them promising him they wouldn't do more of the same.

Or what about Carlos Beltran? He's reportedly the one who started it. Will the Mets fire him? Could make an interesting situation. 

Speaking of which, I agree it's BS that players aren't getting punished, especially since it was reportedly the players who were the primary instigators (skeptical, but whatever). That said, I didn't expect that they would. 

One final thought: Love the damage control. Hinch: I didn't really want to do it, but I didn't say anything. Players: It was just a distraction and really didn't actually help at all. 

🙄

tl;dr: Houston sucks; punishment is light, but not a slap on the wrist; go Angels.

Rumor has it the Dodgers are next. They allegedly bugged their opponent’s locker room.

During the 2019 playoffs Anthopolous, a former member of the Dodgers front office, held all Braves strategy and team meetings at their hotel - not at Dodger Stadium.

6 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

You know, if you asked me for a perfect scenario before the start of the 2017 world series, this would probably be it.

Astros v Dodgers, they go back and forth throughout, then the dodgers lose in heartbreaking fashion and the Astros are later revealed to have cheated and they get harsh penalties for doing so.

Perfect.

The Good Place approves of this torture for both teams.

AsstrosWin as of now:

Image result for gif good place
Edited by Angel Oracle

17 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Wonder if he hires a new staff? Or promotes Espada? Hmmmm.

Also, I think Cora's gonna get banned too, and then the Red Sox kind of have to fire him, right? They were previously warned remember.

16 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

I don’t think they’ll have any other choice after what the Astros just did.

^^^^^^^^^

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

MLB just conceded the next CBA to the player association, they clearly have no balls to go up against that if they didnt over this. 

Nah, I don't think so. It's more a matter of, don't pick fights you can't win. Maybe they could, but it's far from a sure thing. Front office and coaches are easier to deal with. Players, not so much.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

MLB just conceded the next CBA to the player association, they clearly have no balls to go up against that if they didnt over this. 

there's the part where they chickened out and also the part where they are avoiding the hassle of further investigation time and appeal after appeal.  they took the easy way out for sure.  

For those of you that want players suspended, how would that happen exactly? How can you prove which players knew about it and which didn't? Which players benefited from it? Is it the assumption that every single player knew what was going on and no one said a word? In that case, do you suspend or terminate the contracts of all of the Astros players? There is no way in the world the players union would just sit back and let that happen.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

For those of you that want players suspended, how would that happen exactly? How can you prove which players knew about it and which didn't? Which players benefited from it? Is it the assumption that every single player knew what was going on and no one said a word? In that case, do you suspend or terminate the contracts of all of the Astros players? There is no way in the world the players union would just sit back and let that happen.

exactly.  the logistics of doling out the punishments is very complex.  

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

The owners don’t want to pick this fight in the midst of important CBA negotiations. 

This is gonna be an interesting season in the AL West. If the Rangers get Arenado, that just ups things even more. 

I think Luhnow won't be working any time soon. He'll probably get a consultant job if he wants it in a year or two, but I don't think he'll be a GM again in less than three. Hinch probably will have to wait 2-3 years before getting another job, but I expect he will.

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

exactly.  the logistics of doling out the punishments is very complex.  

In the end, most of the players will get what’s coming to them as I’m willing to bet that players like Altuve, Correa  and Bregman will suddenly have problems  with pitch recognition, leading to lower overall results. Just a hunch.  I truly believe Bregman will look like a different player. 

I think Cora is gonna get a bigger suspension than Hinch or Lunhow.

I also hope the Commissioner's Office decides against the Astros' minor league baseball contraction plan.

9 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

^^^^^^^^^

Nah, I don't think so. It's more a matter of, don't pick fights you can't win. Maybe they could, but it's far from a sure thing. Front office and coaches are easier to deal with. Players, not so much.

Which doesnt change whats right, without affecting the players, this is literally meaningless. 

11 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

Rumor has it the Dodgers are next. They allegedly bugged their opponent’s locker room.

During the 2019 playoffs Anthopolous, a former member of the Dodgers front office, held all Braves strategy and team meetings at their hotel - not at Dodger Stadium.

Any link to this story?  I haven't seen anything.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think Cora is gonna get a bigger suspension than Hinch or Lunhow.

I also hope the Commissioner's Office decides against the Astros' minor league baseball contraction plan.

How would this be tied to the Astros minor league contraction plan? I don’t get it.