• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Wood signs with the Dodgers (1 year, $4 million)

mmc

6 hours ago, floplag said:

Heres the thing though, i think people are over stating Epplers "failures" in regard to pitching this off season.
By the reports weve read, Almost all of them wanted to be elsewhere so short of a huge overpay, which would be perhaps an even larger failure, what was he to do?
Cole and Stras i dont think we were ever really in the picture.
Bumgarder had his preference.
Wheeler supposedly preferred the east coast.
About the only one of the top guys we might have dropped the ball on was Kuechel and let be honest he wasnt the "ace" everyone wanted.
I get the disappointment, but really, i kinda feel like its misplaced to a large degree at this point based on what weve read.

People seem to forget that the Chisox offered more, and he still stayed in the NL east.

The prize was Cole, plain and simple. He made the most sense, had zero question marks. That said, NY beat us. Thats not epplers "fault".

Strass was the backup prize. He likely wasnt leaving Washington. We, or anyone else, would have had to at least match their offer.... which was a hell of a lot more than people were expecting. And it would have been him or Rendon, not both. Who is likely the better player going forward? (Regardless of our pitching situation)? And that is IF he wasnt going to stay with the org who drafted him, and he just won a ring with.

After that, it was all leftovers. Its a letdown, yeah. But some of you guys are throwing a temper tantrum because we didnt sign ANY of them. 

Ryu would have been nice, but he wasnt a slam dunk. (If he produced last years numbers repeatedly, maybe). I wanted Keuchel. Not a front line guy by any means. But he was my pick for reliability. Not getting him is a letdown as well, but he too wouldnt have been the add everyone wanted.

But for gods sake, not getting Cole or Strass isnt solved by those other names. Again, if Ryu 19' is the real deal, that would have been a great add, but thats a huge question mark. After those three names, its a serious drop off. And of them, Ryu was the only realistic one. And he by no means is Cole.

5 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

"You remember that thing we had about 30 days ago called the winter meetings? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn't cross the Luxury Tax Threshold and push the budget to the maxz? [rips a desk apart] Then take every viable option on the market [shouts] signing by signing and nuke the payroll into the stone age forever?! Tell me why! How come? Say it! Say it!

Because Arte, was too much of a pussywimp, to let Eppler go in, and sign that little yellow bastard!

4 hours ago, RendZone said:

lol absolutely. We now have the privilege of seeing Rotolo Chevrolet and Fountain Valley Body Shop commercials as often as we want.  

4 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

I like to call Dave’s cell (the guy from Fountain Valley Body Works) and just ask him random questions and ask him how his day is going.  I mean he does provide his cell number on his commercials, and does say he wants to know about stuff.

i like to get his take on Eppler, Pujols, the lack of signing FA pitching, and the like.  I think he’s getting tired of the daily calls though.

My fave about the body works guy is the end.

"If you arent satisfied with the results.... i want to hear about it".

Not "we will fix it".

Genius.

23 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

And you know they will use Wood and Maeda along with their 3 youngsters in some mini rotation within their rotation.

I've not been upset over "missing out" on Ryu or Keuchel -- but these are the sorts of deals I was hoping the Angels would have made...

Yeah I don't know what Eppler is doing anymore. Or if he's even alive.

19 hours ago, RendZone said:

Our highest paid pitcher makes $5M per season. Pujols makes $29M. If you don’t think Albert’s salary impacts the decision making then I don’t know what to tell 

I don't understand your logic.  Just because we spend more on Pujols doesnt mean Pujols is stopping us from signing a pitcher.

How much money did we spend on free agents this year despite having Pujols?  How much money under the cap are we?

We had the money to spend on pitching.  The pitchers we wanted either chose to go with us or we decided not to sign them because they were too expensive. 

Do not be ignorant and try to make us believe Woods 4 million dollar contract was too much because of Pujols!

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I don't understand your logic.  Just because we spend more on Pujols doesnt mean Pujols is stopping us from signing a pitcher.

How much money did we spend on free agents this year despite having Pujols?  How much money under the cap are we?

We had the money to spend on pitching.  The pitchers we wanted either chose to go with us or we decided not to sign them because they were too expensive. 

Do not be ignorant and try to make us believe Woods 4 million dollar contract was too much because of Pujols!

It’s his thing, hell we are talking about Albert in a thread about Wood.  Signing Albert hasn’t prevented them from giving out $105 million contract, a $125 million contract, a $140 million contract, a $245 million contract and a $430 million contract. But Albert.  

19 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Something else about Ryu. The fact that the Dodgers didnt keep him is really curious to me.

Kershaw isnt getting younger, and has his own question marks. Ryu was a huge part of that team last year. Really have to wonder about that.

They never made an offer supposedly.

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s his thing, hell we are talking about Albert in a thread about Wood.  Signing Albert hasn’t prevented them from giving out $105 million contract, a $125 million contract, a $140 million contract, a $245 million contract and a $430 million contract. But Albert.  

Remember the days when AP made less than his AAV but the AAV was quoted?  Now that he makes more than his AAV, the actual real number gets used.

1 minute ago, RBM said:

The only two reasons I can see Eppler not wanting Alex Wood are:

1. Durability. Is he healthy?

2. Effectiveness/Upside. Does Eppler think his bottom of the rotation guys, Canning and Sandoval, will be more effective and possess more upside in 2020 than Alex Wood.

Hell, we don't even know if Eppler made Wood an offer.

Even if we don't add another SP I still think Ohtani/Heaney/Teheran/Bundy/Canning/Sandoval can get us to the playoffs.

#3 he has his eyes set on a trade that will bring in someone that is either a longer term fix or less of an injury risk.  

On 1/13/2020 at 10:53 AM, PattyD22 said:

I like to call Dave’s cell (the guy from Fountain Valley Body Works) and just ask him random questions and ask him how his day is going.  I mean he does provide his cell number on his commercials, and does say he wants to know about stuff.

i like to get his take on Eppler, Pujols, the lack of signing FA pitching, and the like.  I think he’s getting tired of the daily calls though.

if you actually do this, my respect for you has increased significantly.