• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Brian Goodwin is Angels’ only unsigned arbitration-eligible player

The Angels have reached agreements with eight of their nine arbitration-eligible players, leaving just one deal to settle in order to avoid their first arbitration hearing in nine years.

Outfielder Brian Goodwin was the only one of the Angels’ arbitration-eligible players who remained unsigned, as of Friday evening. Goodwin filed for a $2.2 million salary, while the Angels offered $1.85 million.

Although many teams refuse to continue negotiating once figures are filed, there is no rule preventing the sides from reaching an agreement before a hearing. The hearings are scheduled in February.

The Angels last had an arbitration hearing with pitcher Jered Weaver in 2011.

The other eight Angels who were eligible reached agreements in the days leading up to Friday’s deadline.

On Friday, they agreed to one-year deals with pitcher Andrew Heaney ($4.3 million), infielder Tommy La Stella ($3.25 million), relief pitcher Noé Ramírez ($900,000) and relief pitcher Keynan Middleton ($800,000). They agreed to terms with relief pitcher Cam Bedrosian ($2.8 million) and catcher Max Stassi ($800,000) on Thursday.

The Angels also agreed with pitcher Dylan Bundy and relief pitcher Hansel Robles, although their salaries are currently unknown. Bundy was projected to make about $5.7 million and Robles about $4 million by MLB Trade Rumors.

Whatever salary Goodwin ends up with will be a significant boost from the $583,000 he made in his first season with the Angels.

Claimed on release waivers just days before the season, Goodwin ended up hitting .262 with 17 homers and a .796 OPS in 136 games.

ALSO

The Angels released left-hander Adalberto Mejia, who had been designated for assignment to create a roster spot for Stassi earlier in the week.

View the full article

I'm certain im going to get railed for this, but am i the only one whose a little, ... IDK put off by this?
Yeah the guy played well last year but hes less than a year removed from being DFA and has never put in a full seasons at bats. 
The 1.85 would double his career earnings.
Seems an odd place to take a stand.

unlikely, but he could find himself cut. perhaps a strategy by boras to find him a starting job and create more potential for higher earning power the next year? probably not, the most likely scenario is they either settle in the middle or he loses his arbitration and gets 1.85.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, RBM said:

Has Eppler continued negotiations with a player after figures have been filed in the past four years?

No, no player has reached this stage (not settling before the deadline) since 2013.  I guess from the player perspective they don't like hearing why they don't deserve more, and from the organization perspective they don't like wasting the time formally defending their position in arbitration or getting the player in a foul mood over it.

I like Goodwin, but the Angels have a lot of young outfielders, they can get by without him if need be.  If he is not happy, maybe he eventually becomes part of a trade.  Or maybe I am making too much of this and he is just trying to squeeze out as much as possible, and thinks he is in a good position to do it, and his attitude about it is fine.

4 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Can't blame Goodwin.  You gotta go for the money when you have earned the chance and he earned it.

I don't think anyone blames him for that, I just don't want him to get in a foul mood if he doesn't get it in arbitration.