• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are we done?

stormngt

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I agree, but if everything goes to shit (again), he's going to pitch. 

But adding another pitcher could make him the odd man out on the roster. Which is fine by me.

Well, if everything goes to shit again, we're all fucked anyway. So in that case, I would be fine with him as a tank commander.

Definitely still need to sign or trade for another arm. I wanted Alex Wood as a buy low guy that has solid potential and is still young. However, that's not necessarily the impact arm. There are a lot of arms in our system Suarez, Pena, Barria, Peters, etc. Doesn't mean any of them are worth a damn. If our current projected rotation of Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Teheran, Bundy gets hurt we're in the exact same position as 2019 by filling the injured spots with turds.

Look, the GM job is never "done"...even when he trades or signs a new starting pitcher, he's going to continue to work the waiver wire, continue to discuss deals with other GM's, etc

"Best laid plans" and all but one or two injuries (Andrew McCutchen comes to mind) can come up at the most unusual time and throw the entire process for a loop. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

1 Ohtani

2 Heaney

3 Bundy

4 Teheran

5 Canning

They're not getting two pitchers.

I get that Ohtani will be limited in innings. They still have Pena and Barria, though, who they had no trouble rolling with in the last two seasons. One guy is a distinct possibility. Two is extremely unlikely. 

And don’t forget Sandoval.

55 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Pena is expected to be out through June, Suarez needs time in the minors, and Jaime Barria is NOT NEARLY enough depth.

Not signing or trading for two starters would be a mistake. 

Personally, I'm expecting one starter, and unless it's a truly impactful arm, I don't believe the Angels are a playoff team because of their pitching, or lack thereof.

If we get to the point of needing Pena before June, then we will have bigger problems.

It’s getting to the point where we don’t really have roster spots to put guys. We could probably get one more guy and have a rotation of Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Teheran, Canning, FA/trade. But if you go 2 more pitchers, are you starting Canning in AAA? He’s the only one with options. He’s proven himself to be a MLB pitcher and should be getting MLB innings for his development. I think Sandoval has shown he should be in the rotation with his last 6 starts year but I think he should probably start in AAA and be first one up.

Maybe we hold out Ohtani until mid May to keep his innings down in which case he would be most likely replacing someone that gets injured.

Alex Wood is probably a good add because by the time he gets inevitably injured, we can plug Ohtani or Pena in for him. Apparently Wood is upset at the amount of guaranteed he’s being offered so he’s in no rush to sign a glorified minor league contract.

If we play our depth right, given our injury history, we can just use the IL as our de facto AAA and shuttle pitchers between it and our rotation.

I guess I agree with you that we could use 2 more pitchers but it’ll probably need to be guys that accept a minor league contract and the we can add them to our roster after we put some guys on the 60 day IL. Most of the FA right now are going to be holding out for a guaranteed contract, or at least the guys that are going to help us.

I find myself surprised to hope that the Halos are done for now making big moves.

They obviously still need "top of the rotation" pitching but there's none left via free agency. There's also none being dangled via trades that warrants cashing in one a top prospect. I'm sorry, but Clevinger, Gray, and Boyd just don't do it for me on that level. Barring injury, they have enough pitching to start the season and at least be competitive. And if the lineup is as good as many project it will be, the Angels will be in the hunt for a wild card come mid-season. By then, someone like Syndergaard might be available via trade and the guys already mentioned (along with Bauer) probably will also be. With more options out there, the price in prospects is more likely to be lower.

So, I would rather they play things cautiously rather than make a rash move between now and Opening Day. About the only major thing I could support them doing is seeing about extending Simmons at a lower rate than he might get if he hits the market.

Edited by Ariamus

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Suarez is still "depth". He'll be spending most of the year in AAA. We also have Peters, Sandoval, and Barria. Adding another starter makes us 10 starters deep. Once Pena comes back we have 11. And as I've said before, if we're getting into our 8th and 9th starters on the depth chart, we have more issues than the number of pitchers on our roster.

Not sure the Angels should be counting guys who aren't above replacement level. We are going to go with 6 starters and someone is going to get hurt and miss time, so those 6th, 7th and 8th guys should have some expectations on them. Additionally the rest of the depth are good candidates for filling out the bullpen.

18 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Not sure the Angels should be counting guys who aren't above replacement level. We are going to go with 6 starters and someone is going to get hurt and miss time, so those 6th, 7th and 8th guys should have some expectations on them. Additionally the rest of the depth are good candidates for filling out the bullpen.

I don't think that's fair. Our main depth is our top pitching prospects who, unfortunately aren't that good. But it's the best we have. Sandoval, Suarez, and Barria are all young and likely to improve.

Generally depth pieces are exactly that. If they were good enough to be in the rotation, they would be, or they'd get cycled through the bullpen. Could the talent be better? Of course. But what exactly is Eppler supposed to do about that? 

It would be amazing to have 3 aces then use Canning, Teheran, and Bundy as depth, but that's unrealistic. 

26 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Replacement players are replacement level. Once you start replacing with above replacement level, that becomes the new replacement level. The definition of WAR puts those guys at 0 because 6th-8th starters are replacements.

14 minutes ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Replacement players are replacement level. Once you start replacing with above replacement level, that becomes the new replacement level. The definition of WAR puts those guys at 0 because 6th-8th starters are replacements.

They aren't replacements when you are penciling them directly into the rotation. We aren't getting 150 innings each out of Ohtani, Canning, Heaney or Sandoval. As it stands right now they are likely to get 200 innings out of Barria, Suarez and Peters.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think that's fair. Our main depth is our top pitching prospects who, unfortunately aren't that good. But it's the best we have. Sandoval, Suarez, and Barria are all young and likely to improve.

Generally depth pieces are exactly that. If they were good enough to be in the rotation, they would be, or they'd get cycled through the bullpen. Could the talent be better? Of course. But what exactly is Eppler supposed to do about that? 

It would be amazing to have 3 aces then use Canning, Teheran, and Bundy as depth, but that's unrealistic. 

I think you're taking my point a little too far with your last comment. Im fine with these guys as depth pieces, but Im not particularly happy about penciling them in for serious innings. One of these kids not named Canning is going to likely be in the rotation year-around and with the lack of upside in the rotation itself that is not really something I think we can afford.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think you're taking my point a little too far with your last comment. Im fine with these guys as depth pieces, but Im not particularly happy about penciling them in for serious innings. One of these kids not named Canning is going to likely be in the rotation year-around and with the lack of upside in the rotation itself that is not really something I think we can afford.

Shut up.

20 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

They aren't replacements when you are penciling them directly into the rotation. We aren't getting 150 innings each out of Ohtani, Canning, Heaney or Sandoval. As it stands right now they are likely to get 200 innings out of Barria, Suarez and Peters.

Barria threw 130 innings in 2018 with 2.6 bWAR or 1.4 fWAR. Maybe he returns to that/improves with a pitching coach not telling him to only throw harder and spin the ball more. Then you’re looking for 70 innings and replacement level isn’t that bad

1 hour ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Barria threw 130 innings in 2018 with 2.6 bWAR or 1.4 fWAR. Maybe he returns to that/improves with a pitching coach not telling him to only throw harder and spin the ball more. Then you’re looking for 70 innings and replacement level isn’t that bad

Maybe, but that's being optimistic, there is no reason to think that is the median outcome. I'd be happy with that for sure, you can't expect better than that, but I'd like to balance the downside risk of Barria, etc not reaching the 1.5 war mark with some upside.