Sign in to follow this  
fan_since79

$700,000 Condos for the Homeless in L.A.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 1/9/2020 at 7:50 AM, yk9001 said:

Great State of Vermont checking in:

82567869_10218731945582596_6709266261026

81917163_10218731945822602_3859707738196

A year in jail for anyone under 21 in possession of a cell phone.

 

This has a lower chance of passing that than st1ck as a comedian.

Edited by Taylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, a funnier response to my typo would have been, "Especially if you're my copy editor." Keep trying, st1ck. You'll get there soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Also, a funnier response to my typo would have been, "Especially if you're my copy editor." Keep trying, st1ck. You'll get there soon.

It was a Seinfeld reference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 7:50 AM, yk9001 said:

Great State of Vermont checking in:

82567869_10218731945582596_6709266261026

81917163_10218731945822602_3859707738196

A year in jail for anyone under 21 in possession of a cell phone.

 

Well, if you actually read the bill, youd see that (4) cell phones have been used by mass shooters.

So I support this. 

Also, along those lines, ban shoes for kids. I heard the virginia tech guy WASNT barefoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently talked to a lady who had gotten clean and off the street. Was homeless and smoking meth for about 3 years she said (the homeless part, thr meth part longer).

Now, she, like the other handful ive met like her, is on the "throw the book at them" mindset.

I asked her if she thought our current laws help or hurt the situation, and she instantly said "what do you think!" She talked about free housing, free money, etc etc. And she mentioned (and ive said this on here before) that the majority on the street dont want shelter (until its cold), they just want money for dope. (Thats not all of them, but the majority ive talked to).

These condos are better than a lot of us have.... ive never understood why "shelters" need to be houses. Camp Pendleton is an idea, in my opinion.... 900 bucks a month, cafeteria food and barracks housing is fine for a Marine, but not a tweaker?.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I asked her if she thought our current laws help or hurt the situation, and she instantly said "what do you think!" She talked about free housing, free money, etc etc. And she mentioned (and ive said this on here before) that the majority on the street dont want shelter (until its cold), they just want money for dope. (Thats not all of them, but the majority ive talked to).

I always go back to the person I know who runs a foundation that aims to give people a hand up.  They get people who can follow the rules into transitional housing where they have a place to live, eat, sleep, shower and then they can work on the job aspect before moving to another place with less oversight then eventually getting out on their own.  Many times mom or dad can't kick their habit and the rules are no drugs/alcohol so either that person goes or the family has to go.  Unfortunately it sounds like more often that not the entire family decides to leave. 

Some cities barely give his foundation the time of day and opt to go with the one that just wants to build or run some kind of shelter.  With how much the problem has grown thankfully his foundation and others like it are having a lot more success and getting more press because people are realizing you can't just throw money at the problem.  As I mentioned before in another thread when they cleared the riverbed trail Anaheim just wanted to use his properties, they were going to "manage" them and he said no.  Not because he didn't want to help but because he knew that they wouldn't manage anything and he's seen situations like that where people abuse the rules and do damage to the property.  His team has people who go to the properties daily to check on people to make sure they're following the rules, staying on the right path and not causing problems.  The city ended up giving out hotel vouchers to the people they moved off the trail which was a way to clean that up but the vouchers ran out and they had no plan for after that.  Like too many things that are government run they don't think about the long term.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I recently talked to a lady who had gotten clean and off the street. Was homeless and smoking meth for about 3 years she said (the homeless part, thr meth part longer).

Now, she, like the other handful ive met like her, is on the "throw the book at them" mindset.

I asked her if she thought our current laws help or hurt the situation, and she instantly said "what do you think!" She talked about free housing, free money, etc etc. And she mentioned (and ive said this on here before) that the majority on the street dont want shelter (until its cold), they just want money for dope. (Thats not all of them, but the majority ive talked to).

These condos are better than a lot of us have.... ive never understood why "shelters" need to be houses. Camp Pendleton is an idea, in my opinion.... 900 bucks a month, cafeteria food and barracks housing is fine for a Marine, but not a tweaker?.....

i'm guessing one of the immediate problems will be that several of these new condos will get absolutely destroyed by their new occupants. hey it doesn't cost them anything, why should they care?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I always go back to the person I know who runs a foundation that aims to give people a hand up.  They get people who can follow the rules into transitional housing where they have a place to live, eat, sleep, shower and then they can work on the job aspect before moving to another place with less oversight then eventually getting out on their own.  Many times mom or dad can't kick their habit and the rules are no drugs/alcohol so either that person goes or the family has to go.  Unfortunately it sounds like more often that not the entire family decides to leave. 

Some cities barely give his foundation the time of day and opt to go with the one that just wants to build or run some kind of shelter.  With how much the problem has grown thankfully his foundation and others like it are having a lot more success and getting more press because people are realizing you can't just throw money at the problem.  As I mentioned before in another thread when they cleared the riverbed trail Anaheim just wanted to use his properties, they were going to "manage" them and he said no.  Not because he didn't want to help but because he knew that they wouldn't manage anything and he's seen situations like that where people abuse the rules and do damage to the property.  His team has people who go to the properties daily to check on people to make sure they're following the rules, staying on the right path and not causing problems.  The city ended up giving out hotel vouchers to the people they moved off the trail which was a way to clean that up but the vouchers ran out and they had no plan for after that.  Like too many things that are government run they don't think about the long term.    

Yeah, those vouchers didnt make sense from the beginning. They only lasted a month.... nobody had any clue what happened when that ended. 

What happened was they are off the riverbed, and now back to how it was before. Living behind buildings, sidewalks, etc.

Reference the first paragraph you wrote. The really messed up part....there are toms of programs if youre an addict, or have an arrest record for example. "These people are rhe least likely to get off the street" they say. 

Very little programs, at all, for those who just had bad luck. Got hurt and cant work, that kind of thing, and end up homeless.

Bass ackward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What happened was they are off the riverbed, and now back to how it was before. Living behind buildings, sidewalks, etc. 

Reference the first paragraph you wrote. The really messed up part....there are toms of programs if youre an addict, or have an arrest record for example. "These people are rhe least likely to get off the street" they say. 

Very little programs, at all, for those who just had bad luck. Got hurt and cant work, that kind of thing, and end up homeless.

Bass ackward.

Years ago a buddy was telling some of us about how he had been homeless for a while.  We all found out after the fact because he was the type of person who wouldn't ask for help even though any one of us would have given him a place to stay.  One of the stories he told that always stuck with me was about a homeless guy he met who had worked in construction.  The guy hurt his back, couldn't work and ended up out on the street.  If he wasn't working he wasn't getting paid and he couldn't afford to get whatever surgery or it was that he needed to fix his back.  This guy wasn't getting drunk or high while his only option was to pretty much end up on the street or in a shelter. 

As far as programs/options for addicts there's always methadone clinics to ween someone off, rehab, etc.  The one that always gets me which I know you're way more familiar with given your line of work is the shot OD victims get which saves their lives.  There's people that are given that shot multiple because they choose to get high.  I realize it's not an easy thing to kick but they do have some control over it as well as options to get clean.  Then you've got someone who gets cancer that can't afford the chemo or drugs they need to ease their pain or give them a chance at surviving.  It's just screwed up the way things work or rather don't work sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Years ago a buddy was telling some of us about how he had been homeless for a while.  We all found out after the fact because he was the type of person who wouldn't ask for help even though any one of us would have given him a place to stay.  One of the stories he told that always stuck with me was about a homeless guy he met who had worked in construction.  The guy hurt his back, couldn't work and ended up out on the street.  If he wasn't working he wasn't getting paid and he couldn't afford to get whatever surgery or it was that he needed to fix his back.  This guy wasn't getting drunk or high while his only option was to pretty much end up on the street or in a shelter. 

As far as programs/options for addicts there's always methadone clinics to ween someone off, rehab, etc.  The one that always gets me which I know you're way more familiar with given your line of work is the shot OD victims get which saves their lives.  There's people that are given that shot multiple because they choose to get high.  I realize it's not an easy thing to kick but they do have some control over it as well as options to get clean.  Then you've got someone who gets cancer that can't afford the chemo or drugs they need to ease their pain or give them a chance at surviving.  It's just screwed up the way things work or rather don't work sometimes.

It's almost as if homeless people, just like non-homeles people, can either be parasites who continue to make self-destructive decisions OR decent people who are in their situation because of no fault of their own.

The problem is, both sides paint homeless people with a broad brush. According to the right, homeless people need to be taught accountability and shouldn't receive any kind of help. According to the left, homeless people are just victims who need handouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this