• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons Extension?

Bronson

On 1/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, Second Base said:

Simmons helps out the pitching staff. I'd keep him as long as he can stay healthy.

This is a major point. Simmons is a generational talent defensively, and since coming west he has hit, which was the one knock on his game in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Reds, Orioles, Royals, Twins, Dodgers, White Sox, Mets, Diamondbacks, Braves, Giants. All would be upgraded by Simmons.

orioles royals giants aren't going to spend on simmons.   

dogs, twins and white sox already have solid production from that position.  If the dogs were going to make a move at SS it would be for Lindor.  

mets have Rosrio who is cheap.  

Swanson could easily break out this year and even if he's just solid, I don't think the Braves give up on him.  

Maybe the dbacks unless they put Marte there.  

the Reds would likely have interest.  

you and I have gone back and forth on this a bit.  I think you are over-estimating SS demand.  

however, I do agree that the Halos should extend Simmons now and that his cost would be in the range of Moustakas 

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Doing nothing now sends a message that the Angels have little interest in retaining him and are willing to lose him to free agency.

What good are contracts if both parties can't respect the term limit without animosity? If Simmons feels slighted because the Angels choose to have him play out the year before making a decision on an extension then that's on him. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What good are contracts if both parties can't respect the term limit without animosity? If Simmons feels slighted because the Angels choose to have him play out the year before making a decision on an extension then that's on him. 

Animosity is an entirely different word Blarg. I used the words "sends a message" and you can choose to interpret that any way you like but don't make it more or less in terms of what I said. Never said Andrelton will feel slighted or angry or anything for that matter. It is just a conveyance of information that the Angels are probably not interested in retaining him longer than 2020, that is all.

43 minutes ago, RBM said:

No, it sends the message that he needs to have a productive league age 30 season to prove last year was not the new norm.

I just don't think it's smart to give a 3-4 year extension to a 30 year old SS coming off injuries. And I don't think he is expecting an extension.

We don't know how he will perform this year, let alone 4 or 5 years down the road. He is not even a top 10 shortstop any longer according to MLB.com.

Then you need to apply that same logic to every other player the Angels have signed or will sign to an extension. Particularly that last sentence which by the way wouldn't let you sign anyone at any time if you are a professional baseball league front office and trying to figure out the age-related decline of ANY player. MLB.com built their list off of last season, my God is it really this hard? They are reactionary, yearly lists that have no basis in previous history or projected performance.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

Animosity is an entirely different word Blarg. I used the words "sends a message" and you can choose to interpret that any way you like but don't make it more or less in terms of what I said. Never said Andrelton will feel slighted or angry or anything for that matter. It is just a conveyance of information that the Angels are probably not interested in retaining him longer than 2020, that is all.

It sends no such message. 

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

orioles royals giants aren't going to spend on simmons.

They will spend money if the price is right for them. Casually dismissing them is an incorrect assumption. How much they spend could be a different matter but it makes them no less a suitor than any other team.   

dogs, twins and white sox already have solid production from that position.  If the dogs were going to make a move at SS it would be for Lindor.

Dogs have a bad defensive SS in a defense-first position. That being said yes the upgrade is marginal at best probably. The Twins are set this year and perhaps beyond, so that was a bad team to throw in the hat. Tim Anderson 2019 version was good but previously he was not good at all, so next off-season the White Sox might be changing their mind. 

mets have Rosrio who is cheap. 

Rosario looks like a failed prospect to be honest. Simmons would be a huge upgrade, oh excuse me starving.... whatever.

Swanson could easily break out this year and even if he's just solid, I don't think the Braves give up on him.

Really? Swanson has sucked for 3 years now and yes they may not give up on him as a small market team but they are also highly familiar with Andrelton Simmons too, so to rule them out on a mid-level free agent would be foolish in my opinion.

Maybe the dbacks unless they put Marte there.  

the Reds would likely have interest.  

you and I have gone back and forth on this a bit.  I think you are over-estimating SS demand.  Perhaps but I do think you have been underestimating it a bit too, Simmons is a good player, teams make room for good players.

however, I do agree that the Halos should extend Simmons now and that his cost would be in the range of Moustakas Yes that is in the ballpark, although I think he gets slightly more in the $70M range give or take.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, failos said:

I feel like the Angels are well stocked with respect to infielders. I’d personally wait and see how well Simmons performs this season before extending him.

The question was IF the season doesn’t happen.