• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Red Sox used video replay room illegally in 2018

rafibomb

21 minutes ago, Kenny said:

As I said in the Astros thread, I would be very surprised if most teams aren’t or haven’t tried to sign steal with cameras.  It’s just too easy to get away with.  Or at least it was until now.

I think ‘most’ overstates it. Definitely a decent amount of teams are, though. At least on some level. 

Sign stealing used to be a matter of pride. 

Players/coaches who could do that were considered savvy and smart. Getting an edge by using their knowledge and experience. And it was an accepted part of the game. Even teams who were victimized accepted it as part of the game and tried to change their signals.

That tradition has continued on the field forever. That's why there are so many variations and indicator sequences. 

The big difference is that now it involves technology. And off the field spying.

In the past there were times a home team put a spy with binoculars in the outfield, even hidden within those old style manual scoreboards who would relay signals to the dugout. But even then it was in real time, and required some finesse and cleverness. 

I still feel players deciphering signals on the field in real time is part of the game. Every player/coach in every sport is trying to get whatever edge they can. And a clever mind can't be legislated against as long as it happens on the field. And if suspected, opposition teams are prepared to change their signals immediately.

But technology changes the equation. You have added an artificial dimension to the game. Rules in sports are in a precarious balance. Everyone pushes them to the limit, and sometimes beyond. Thus the constant revisions and changes. 

There is no middle ground in this context. Either allow all teams to use the same technology or come down hard to keep the game on the field.

Technology is becoming too ensconced in real time now. Every sport uses tablets/computers in game. Mostly for replays, study of opposition tendencies, stats updating/scouting.

In some ways, where do you draw the line? A really problematic issue going into the future.

18 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

I still feel players deciphering signals on the field in real time is part of the game. Every player/coach in every sport is trying to get whatever edge they can. And a clever mind can't be legislated against as long as it happens on the field. And if suspected, opposition teams are prepared to change their signals immediately.

Back in the day,  there were natural consequences for catching a team stealing signs.  Those consequences are no longer utilized today making sign stealing a no-risk strategy.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

TORS is on fire this morning. I've liked about 6 of his posts in 10 minutes.

Its been killing me the last few days, getting to all the threads with the great setups already taken by guys like @Tank. He has that first period class so hes always up earlier then the rest of us 

1 hour ago, True Grich said:
Armchair warriors often fail
And we've been poisoned by these fairy tales
The lawyers clean up all details
Since daddy had to lie

Poetry night at the strip club....

Now coming to the main staaaaaage.... Put your hands together forrrr TrueeeeGriiiich!!!!!!!!!

make it rain money GIF

10 minutes ago, Keener said:

Color me skeptical.   I think we will all be disappointed when nothing happens to either Boston or Houston.

Define nothing. As in nothing nothing?

I’m genuinely curious why you believe that. Manfred’s legacy is on the line. This is a bigger deal than PED’s. Everyone is mad. Why would you think nothing will happen? What is the benefit to Manfred to do nothing?

Likely not nothing nothing.

Just a feeling.  I can't see how they start handing out significant suspensions or bans without affecting competitive balance in the opposite direction.  

Look how spygate, etc went in nfl.  The worst punishment was for bountygate with Payton missing a year.

I feel like they will probably eat a shit sandwich for a minute, then back to business ss usual.  

Again, i hope i'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Keener said:

Likely not nothing nothing.

Just a feeling.  I can't see how they start handing out significant suspensions or bans without affecting competitive balance in the opposite direction.  

Look how spygate, etc went in nfl.  The worst punishment was for bountygate with Payton missing a year.

I feel like they will probably eat a shit sandwich for a minute, then back to business ss usual.  

Again, i hope i'm wrong.

The media will be surprised if you’re right. Passan said expectation is it will be heavy. 

Also, this is a big deal. You have to back to the Black Sox to find a comparable scandal. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Also, this is a big deal. You have to back to the Black Sox to find a comparable scandal. 

I don't disagree.  Just really curious to see if they back up the hand wringing and panty twisting with anything of substance.

49 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Poetry night at the strip club....

Now coming to the main staaaaaage.... Put your hands together forrrr TrueeeeGriiiich!!!!!!!!!

Not poetry... actual lyrics from a song

17 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Can you imagine if the Angels were caught amidst the sign stealing scandal too? That'd be so embarrassing because we still found a way to lose lmao

Teams cheating still lose. People using PED's still strike out. It doesn't automatically make you good. Especially if most or all the teams are sign stealing in some capacity. It just evens the playing field. 

It would be funny if the mariners were caught, and it turned out dipoto had his minor league talent scouts stealing the sign.

"Its a fastball, no drum!" 

Pitch is a curve

".......its a fastball thats ready to be a major league fastball right now, just needs some time to adjust to american culture. Swing away"