• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Red Sox used video replay room illegally in 2018

rafibomb

7 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I have a feeling that this will not be the last team exposed as cheaters. MLB needs to come out with extremely harsh penalties for this.

agreed. looking like baseball is uncovering a very large problem. could be the tip of the iceberg.

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

agreed. looking like baseball is uncovering a very large problem. could be the tip of the iceberg.

Yep.

And, while Alex Cora may or may not be the common denominator in this for those teams, he would hardly be alone. That level of cheating would have to be systemic in both organizations, and reflect a society and culture that values winning at all costs.

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I have a feeling that this will not be the last team exposed as cheaters. MLB needs to come out with extremely harsh penalties for this.

All professional sports team cheat in some way or another. Many of them use the IR list more as a convenience than actually nursing players back to health. 

I don't see baseball outing other teams. Similar to the steroid problem. It is not in their best interest. The only way stuff will get out will be from reporters actually doing their job. But I also don't see them doing that either, just like with the steroid stuff it isn't in their best interest to do so. They'd never get another scoop. It is basically survival of the fittest and both teams, media, and players need to save some sort of face. They'll say this was just two teams and move on. Like what happened with that NBA ref years ago. The NBA made it perfectly clear to the everyone it was just one person doing it, while we all know that wasn't the case and still probably isn't the case. 

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don't see baseball outing other teams. Similar to the steroid problem. It is not in their best interest. The only way stuff will get out will be from reporters actually doing their job. But I also don't see them doing that either, just like with the steroid stuff it isn't in their best interest to do so. They'd never get another scoop. It is basically survival of the fittest and both teams, media, and players need to save some sort of face. They'll say this was just two teams and move on. Like what happened with that NBA ref years ago. The NBA made it perfectly clear to the everyone it was just one person doing it, while we all know that wasn't the case and still probably isn't the case. 

Houston got caught. The Red Sox just got outed. It won’t end there. Can you imagine how many teams that would like to out the Yankees for something, anything.

Just now, RendZone said:

Houston got caught. The Red Sox just got outed. It won’t end there. Can you imagine how many teams that would like to out the Yankees for something, anything.

I imagine. But I would bet a pretty sizeable amount that those are the only teams that get outed. While I think every team is doing something similar. Baseball will want to save some face. 

42 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

The only way stuff will get out will be from reporters actually doing their job.

Posters here thought the LA Times should have their Angels press access revoked when their editorial cartoonist drew a cartoon about what he thought of the Skaggs death.  Can you imagine what people here would do if the reporters dug around and found the worst cheating was with the Angels?

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

I was waiting for it, the 'everyone does it' post.

I actually thought everyone drives over 55 would be the example used.

Yep they all do. There’s speculation that we cheated in 2002 but that was part of the baseball culture at the time so no harm done. 

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

Posters here thought the LA Times should have their Angels press access revoked when their editorial cartoonist drew a cartoon about what he thought of the Skaggs death.  Can you imagine what people here would do if the reporters dug around and found the worst cheating was with the Angels?

People only see what they want to see. I keep going back to the steroid stuff. Does anyone in their right mind think that players all of a sudden wised up and stop using PEDs? Or do we think they just found a new drug that's undetectable. Baseball and professional sports don't really want to catch anyone doing anything. They want to be able to turn a blind eye to it. No league  wants scandals in their sports. Most journalists saw or at least heard about stuff happening with the "steroid" scandal yet did nothing. They want to protect their "sources" which are the players so they can keep their job and their access. No one really wants to disturb the wheel in motion.

I don't get that it's the reporter's job.  FFS, 20 years ago, someone questioned what was in a vial in Mark McGwire's locker room, and everyone went nuts.

Major League baseball is a billion dollar operation.  They have security staff, private detectives and god knows who else, who can do anything they want.  Newspapers are dying and most won't send a reporter out on the road for the last third of the season if the team isn't in contention.  Reporters are expected to report, do gamers, tweet, engage with fans, video and god knows what else. (Do you think Dollar Bill and Jeff Fletcher *want* to hang out here?)  All on a shoestring budget and salary. 

And *THEY'RE* supposed to be the line of defense against the rampant cheating?

A reporter reported on the despicable locker behavior of the asshole in Houston - and the Houston management came down with an outright smear press release, calling her a liar.  Not until four other witnesses backed her up did the Astros back off.  

So these reporters making a pitiful wage need to be the guardians of the sport.... no way.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I don't get that it's the reporter's job.  FFS, 20 years ago, someone questioned what was in a vial in Mark McGwire's locker room, and everyone went nuts.

Major League baseball is a billion dollar operation.  They have security staff, private detectives and god knows who else, who can do anything they want.  Newspapers are dying and most won't send a reporter out on the road for the last third of the season if the team isn't in contention.  Reporters are expected to report, do gamers, tweet, engage with fans, video and god knows what else. (Do you think Dollar Bill and Jeff Fletcher *want* to hang out here?)  All on a shoestring budget and salary. 

And *THEY'RE* supposed to be the line of defense against the rampant cheating?

A reporter reported on the despicable locker behavior of the asshole in Houston - and the Houston management came down with an outright smear press release, calling her a liar.  Not until four other witnesses backed her up did the Astros back off.  

So these reporters making a pitiful wage need to be the guardians of the sport.... no way.

Exactly my point. Reporters want to keep their job/not do their job. If there was no reporter reporting what happened in the Houston locker room no one would have known. It doesn't always have to be the popular thing to do but it is the right thing to do reporting what's going on. Otherwise we know these teams/leagues won't do anything to share to the rest of us who aren't there who are the actual fans. If it weren't for reporters leaking stuff we'd get no information. No news clippings of who's talking to who when it comes to free agency nothing. So I don't know plenty of reporters out their making a name for themselves getting paid really well. I don't know what they make I don't really care. It is their profession, just like in most other professions being the first one to the news or breaking stuff come with a lot of ups and downs as well. I guess they have to weigh it out. 

As I understand the story, the Red Sox’ version is a bit less sophisticated than what the Astros were doing. Allegedly they were relaying signs to the dugout where a runner on second could then relay the pitch to the batter. They also say it was used both home and road, but couldn’t be done in the playoffs. Also, they argue most teams are doing something like this. 

Going to be interesting, to say the least, to see how it all shakes out. 

My big takeaway is that this is Manfred’s defining issue as commissioner. How he handles the sign stealing controversy is what will make him remembered in the future - for better or worse.

I also read this morning from ESPN that punishment should be coming down for the Astros within about two weeks. Coaching staff and front office are going to be punished. Players will not. 

At this point, I think you need to ban for life anyone involved in this garbage. Otherwise, you make it too tempting to continue.