Sign in to follow this  
Vladdylonglegs

Favorite international vacation spots

37 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We enjoyed Ireland but it's not a place I need to go back to.  The pubs are fun, you've got the Guinness factory, the landscape is green, plenty of historical sites and the accents/terminology changes whether you're in Cork, Limerick or Dublin.  Generally if I'm going to be stuck on an island I prefer one that isn't cold, gloomy and wet more often than not.  I do regret not going to Northern Ireland after seeing TORS mention it but with everything else we had planned we didn't have time to squeeze it in.

North of Ireland (as the locals call it) is still one of my faves. Im a weirdo, so maybe nobody else will dig it as much. Its not as nice as the Republic.... but the culture is great.

You bar hop literally across the street, and get to hear how much the catholics hate the protestants, and vice versa. And have locals buy you pints trying to get you to take their side.

LOVE that place. 

16 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

What time of year?

This is really important.

Vladdy, you say you want to relax. Whats relaxing to you? Do you prefer hot or cold weather? Cities? Countryside? Whats your budget? How long can you spend there? Etc etc.

Europe is the easiest. You can get everything you need. Sites, history, culture. Big city, countryside, etc.

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

I'm headed to the North Island in March.  My Aussie buddy and me are renting a motorhome and driving/camping around the North Island for a week.  We figured we just didn't have time to do the South Island. 

change your plans...if you only have a week go to the South Island. It is like nothing else in the world. Wine country, fjords, alpine mountains, glaciers, big sur style coastline...Queenstown alone is amazing. When I went we arrived without a plan, just landed in Auckland. Buddy I was with says...oh yeah, I know someone here. We looked them up and met them for breakfast. They told us not to waste our week on the North Island...while it was beautiful it was nothing compared to the south island. And they were right...just the flight from Auckland to Queenstown over the Alps was worth it. Start in Queenstown, head to Milford Sound and the fjords. Drive up to Franz Josef glacier area (that drive from Queenstown to Glaciers takes you over some amazing areas). Head up to Punakaki area (coastline). Drive across to Christchurch.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

North of Ireland (as the locals call it) is still one of my faves. Im a weirdo, so maybe nobody else will dig it as much. Its not as nice as the Republic.... but the culture is great.

You bar hop literally across the street, and get to hear how much the catholics hate the protestants, and vice versa. And have locals buy you pints trying to get you to take their side.

LOVE that place. 

Haven't been to the North....though as someone who looks like every other Catholic in Ireland I also would be a little weary about it...especially now with some of the questions surrounding Brexit. Then again, could be that I'm reading a book about the Troubles.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

If I had unlimited money, I would just travel everywhere.

But I'd still be less of a douche than cals.

Never had the travel bug. Don't really care to see any places. I'd love to travel for events though. Would love to do Australia for The Melbourne Cup, to France for Cannes, British Open... If I had unlimited funds, I'd go to one big global event per month and I'd be way douchier than Cals

7 minutes ago, red321 said:

Haven't been to the North....though as someone who looks like every other Catholic in Ireland I also would be a little weary about it...especially now with some of the questions surrounding Brexit. Then again, could be that I'm reading a book about the Troubles.

What book???

Youd be fine, Red, trust me. Its getting tense again... and too many people on both sides still hate each other.... but they can spot a yank a mile away. 

Its just really cool to see basically a middle east scenario in a very modern, western nation. Union jacks EVERYWHERE on this street. Irish flags EVERYWHERE on the one next to it. Totally competing. 

If you ever make it out there, make sure you do the murals tour.

I can also hook you up with some Republicans to show you around... remember... they all used to be ah'are'ay.... but there ai-yunt ahny' more ah'are'ay.... but thuhr ahll ah'are'ay......

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What book???

Youd be fine, Red, trust me. Its getting tense again... and too many people on both sides still hate each other.... but they can spot a yank a mile away. 

Its just really cool to see basically a middle east scenario in a very modern, western nation. Union jacks EVERYWHERE on this street. Irish flags EVERYWHERE on the one next to it. Totally competing. 

If you ever make it out there, make sure you do the murals tour.

I can also hook you up with some Republicans to show you around... remember... they all used to be ah'are'ay.... but there ai-yunt ahny' more ah'are'ay.... but thuhr ahll ah'are'ay......

Say Nothing. A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland

Was in Glasgow about 15 years ago...similar kind of story. Obviously not as intense as somewhere like Belfast or Derry but still a different experience. We were given strict instructions by my friend's cousin. Don't wear blue, green, or orange. Stay in these parts of town. if you end up in another part of town make sure they know you are American.

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Red, what is wrong with Thailand?

Just felt constantly had to be on the lookout. Everyone trying to get one over on you. Every driver trying to take you to red light district, or get you to buy a cheap suit, or drop you off at the "special" entrance. The special tours at the temples were a nice touch as well. Just got old really quick...probably didn't help I had spent the previous two weeks in India.

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This is really important.

Vladdy, you say you want to relax. Whats relaxing to you? Do you prefer hot or cold weather? Cities? Countryside? Whats your budget? How long can you spend there? Etc etc.

Europe is the easiest. You can get everything you need. Sites, history, culture. Big city, countryside, etc.

Looking for warm weather, preferably beach related. I've heard the Maldives are amazing.

58 minutes ago, red321 said:

Just felt constantly had to be on the lookout. Everyone trying to get one over on you. Every driver trying to take you to red light district, or get you to buy a cheap suit, or drop you off at the "special" entrance. The special tours at the temples were a nice touch as well. Just got old really quick...probably didn't help I had spent the previous two weeks in India.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, red321 said:

Say Nothing. A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland

Was in Glasgow about 15 years ago...similar kind of story. Obviously not as intense as somewhere like Belfast or Derry but still a different experience. We were given strict instructions by my friend's cousin. Don't wear blue, green, or orange. Stay in these parts of town. if you end up in another part of town make sure they know you are American.

Hows that book? I just heard about it maybe 2 weeks ago. Im about 10 books behind on my reading list, so it will be awhile. But its definetely getting read at some point.

Also, @red321, if you go. Dont ask the locals to teach you a toast. And then use the toast in the wrong part of the city. You.... shut the entire bar up, and have them all stare at you and look for something to stab you with.

Tiocfiedh ar la...... pronounced as a dumbass american "chucky are lah"..... 

Just never say it when youre there.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Never had the travel bug. Don't really care to see any places. I'd love to travel for events though. Would love to do Australia for The Melbourne Cup, to France for Cannes, British Open... If I had unlimited funds, I'd go to one big global event per month and I'd be way douchier than Cals

I'm the opposite because I don't want to travel when places are slammed and that's what happens during big events.  If I were rich it would be a different story because I could fly in on a private jet, have a luxury box or rich people seats, a private entrance and so on.  As a regular schlub I don't have that luxury and ending up in a sea of people with the common folk where the only reason somewhere there makes the news is for the wrong reasons doesn't appeal to me.    

This is quite possibly the whitest thing I've read on AW :

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Go fishing

I stand corrected:

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Auschwitz 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

This is quite possibly the whitest thing I've read on AW :

I stand corrected:

No, fishing is way whiter than exterminating Jews. The only thing whiter than fishing is Coors Light and wearing Uggs while in line at Starbucks for a pumpkin latte.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

change your plans...if you only have a week go to the South Island. It is like nothing else in the world. Wine country, fjords, alpine mountains, glaciers, big sur style coastline...Queenstown alone is amazing. When I went we arrived without a plan, just landed in Auckland. Buddy I was with says...oh yeah, I know someone here. We looked them up and met them for breakfast. They told us not to waste our week on the North Island...while it was beautiful it was nothing compared to the south island. And they were right...just the flight from Auckland to Queenstown over the Alps was worth it. Start in Queenstown, head to Milford Sound and the fjords. Drive up to Franz Josef glacier area (that drive from Queenstown to Glaciers takes you over some amazing areas). Head up to Punakaki area (coastline). Drive across to Christchurch.

I just looked up photos of Queenstown and now I want to go to there.

5 hours ago, Adam said:

I always try to see a concert or a sporting event during my travels.