Sign in to follow this  
Vladdylonglegs

Favorite international vacation spots

My list of places isn't long, but I have enjoyed everywhere that I have gone.

London - One of the world's great cities, and no matter how long that you stay, you won't see everything that you want to see. A BritRail Pass gets you around the country easily.

Paris - The view of the city from the top of the Eiffel Tower at night is one that I will never forget. Smaller and easier to negotiate than London, and a surprising number of people speak fluent English.

Tulum - Toured the Mayan ruins and had an all-inclusive resort about 60 miles south of Cancun. Beaches just as nice without the spring break party atmosphere.

St. John's (NL) - Not a lot of people go to Newfoundland, but I have relatives there. Lots of history, and spectacular scenery. Very underrated as a tourist destination.

It depends what you like and how you want to vacation.  Between work trips that we piggy backed off of and trips we did on our own I've been to Europe 6 times over the last 9 years.  All the big cities are definitely different but in some ways they feel the same because many are westernized and have a lot of the same stores and fast food restaurants which to me takes away from the historical significance of some things you go to see.  That said I'm really not a big city person and my preference is to go during off season and to places that are a bit more laid back compared to the likes of London, Paris, Rome and so on.  We spent a week in Vienna because of it's proximity to some of the other cities we wanted to go to and ended up really liking Austria.  You can get all over the Vienna on the local subway, hop on a train and in less than an hour be out in wine country or be ~3 or so hours away by car from Prague and Budapest.  Dubrovnik Croatia has become popular because that's where some of GOT was filmed and if you head south east from there you can go to Cavtat which is a picturesque city on Adriatic Coast that seemed like a hidden gem.  We would like to do another trip this year and while I'm not sure of where we'll go of the places I've spent a little bit of time in that I'd like to go back to Greece and Croatia are at the top of the list.  

For islands, Azores is really nice, very cheap and makes Hawaii look like Bakersfield.  

Almaty is certainly a path less traveled.  The food is fantastic (uzbek at least), there is a ton of interesting history, good nature nearby, very safe and also extremely affordable (stay at the Ritz for $150 a night).  Just go only in the summer.   Also they smoke USA in alcohol consumption and the nightlife is good.  You will be loved as an American there, and feel like the only tourist, which is hard to find nowadays.

Nother, you know I appreciate your wanderlust.  But neither Vladdy nor probably anybody else here is going to Kazakhstan.  For fuck sake, even suggesting the Azores is like saying you should go to the moon.

We you probably don’t want to go back to Quintana Roo, but for relaxation at a decent price Isla Holbox is on the tip of QR, a couple hours from Cancun airport plus a ferry ride and it’s nothing but sitting on a pristine beach drinking beer all day.

Back in 2008 or 2009 we were in Puerto Vallarta and ended up going to Sayulita.  I'd definitely go back but since then I've seen it featured on HGTV shows.  I know even by the time we went it wasn't some great secret but it seemed to be one of those places known more to surfers than general travelers.  The main little town seemed like it hadn't changed much while building was going on around that and along the coast.  I'm sure with more tourists and expats going it probably hasn't changed for the better.  I'm guessing Cals recommendation is more laid back.  

20 minutes ago, Adam said:

Mobile, AL

We actually were talking about an Alabama beach vacation last October, but we ultimately chose Loreto, Mexico, which was great until our house was burglarized in the middle of the night. Fuckers even took my flip flops.

South Island of New Zealand may be the most spectacular place you can visit...though it's not a relaxing trip

Ireland is gorgeous and not much better than sitting in an Irish pub drinking Guinness while the locals play music

I'm not a huge fan of Thailand

India has its charms, and you'll lose weight from shitting so much

Provence is awesome

16 minutes ago, red321 said:

Ireland is gorgeous and not much better than sitting in an Irish pub drinking Guinness while the locals play music

We enjoyed Ireland but it's not a place I need to go back to.  The pubs are fun, you've got the Guinness factory, the landscape is green, plenty of historical sites and the accents/terminology changes whether you're in Cork, Limerick or Dublin.  Generally if I'm going to be stuck on an island I prefer one that isn't cold, gloomy and wet more often than not.  I do regret not going to Northern Ireland after seeing TORS mention it but with everything else we had planned we didn't have time to squeeze it in.

41 minutes ago, red321 said:

South Island of New Zealand may be the most spectacular place you can visit...though it's not a relaxing trip

I'm headed to the North Island in March.  My Aussie buddy and me are renting a motorhome and driving/camping around the North Island for a week.  We figured we just didn't have time to do the South Island.