SoWhat

Angels discussed Clevinger with Indians

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Well it won’t be because right now every team thinks they are in it.  At the deadline not every team will think they are in it.  There will be a bigger supply than there is right now.  

I wouldn't want to be in a bidding war in July with the Doggers or Skanks for Clevinger to make the postseason.

9 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

Or the great outfielder could be another Brandon Wood.

Like Clockwork

On 12/27/2019 at 2:06 PM, Lou said:

Why do people always use Wood as an example? 

Remember, Trout was once a prospect, too. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Like Clockwork

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

-bots posts must assume one of two things, our prospects will be amazing and never trade them or our prospects are Brandon Wood, regardless every prospect post bot makes must reference Brandon Wood. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Like Clockwork

Brandon Wood will forever be etched in my brain because Scioscia would not give up on him no matter how awful he was.

12 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

Brandon Wood will forever be etched in my brain because Scioscia would not give up on him no matter how awful he was.

Yea, those 460 at bats over 5 years sure would indicate he was given way too long of a leash.  By the way, that is sarcasm.  

On 1/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Repeat after me.

Wood was a one dimensional player (power).    Adell is a 5 tools player potentially, and Marsh is at least a 4 tools guy.

I don’t think this is fair.  Wood was primarily a shortstop that made it to the majors.  You can’t do that if your only tool is power.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t think this is fair.  Wood was primarily a shortstop that made it to the majors.  You can’t do that if your only tool is power.

Wood had a lot of problems that were painfully obvious to see for anyone who was paying attention. The dude was regressing offensively after struggling to adapt to AAA pitching, while his defense at short was not well enough regarded to prevent the team from moving him to third. He ultimately got his shot in MLB because he had been such a highly touted prospect and time had run out on him earning his way onto the team on his own. 

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Wood had a lot of problems that were painfully obvious to see for anyone who was paying attention. The dude was regressing offensively after struggling to adapt to AAA pitching, while his defense at short was not well enough regarded to prevent the team from moving him to third. He ultimately got his shot in MLB because he had been such a highly touted prospect and time had run out on him earning his way onto the team on his own. 

I just remember this quite differently.  I recall there being no reason at all why he would not play short, other than the Angels already had Aybar.  In turn, they were comfortable sliding him over to third because he was a good defensive player and that seemed like a way to get his bat in the lineup.  I guess this isn’t really important at all, but I don’t see any reason to pile on a guy that was a bust, characterizing him as having just one skill.  I never ever recall Wood being considered a one dimensional player.  It just so happens that if you completely fail at the plate, you are out of the game.

Edited by Dtwncbad

On 1/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, yvangelfan said:

This is categorically untrue because Mike Scioscia hated all the young guys and never played them.   Allegedly....

You guys follow everything tons more than me, but I heard so much about Wood, and when he was finally called up, I was astounded at how tall, lanky and goofy he looked.  It shocked me that this guy was this prized prospect.

Sucks that he will be out until at least mid-May.

It does possibly point out that even with the injury free 2018, that maybe his high maintenance delivery may portend more DL stays in the future, now that he likely will not exceed 120-130 innings for two straight seasons.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Repeat after me.

Wood was a one dimensional player (power).    Adell is a 5 tools player potentially, and Marsh is at least a 4 tools guy.

Eh.  He was not one dimensional as much as he was simply a AAAA player.  Nothing left to prove in AAA but just couldn’t hit in the majors.