Jump to content

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Richards wasn't under the radar though as a supplemental first round pick.  Finding a diamond in the 7th round with Daniel would be huge.  And you are right.  He loves him some  guys who bring the heat in the 3rd - 11th rounds.  

and when we look at the top pitchers, there's a lot of value in those rounds.  Unless you can get a Cole, Verlander or Stras with the first few picks (which Eppler has never had), perhaps it makes sense to go high upside bats.  Then try to get a deGrom (9th), Bieber (4th),  Corbin (2nd), Hendricks (8th) etc.  later on unless a first round type falls like Canning.  

Here's a few good reasons why Eppler employs the draft strategy he does.   Matt Boyd is at the top of the second page for starting pitchers.  Franky Lindor is at the top of the 2nd page for hitters.  The 60th position player has about the same value as the 30th starting pitcher.  There are 58 qualified starters and 135 qualified position players.  

Your odds of getting value from the drat reside in position players by a large margin.  

Which only supports the notion that pitching needs to be valued higher and acquired when the oopportunity arises, something that Eppler has completely failed to do early in drafts. 

If high quality pitching wasn't available, it'd be one thing. The fact that it has been readily available at pretty much every pick is another entirely. It speaks to Eppler's inability to accurately value high end pitching talent. 

But it also makes his preference for high end position players at least understandable. But it creates a VERY uneven distribution of talent in the farm, and teams with quality young pitching will understand that it is quite a bit more rare than upside position players. So trading a good hitting prospect for a good outcome prospect becomes much more difficult. 

Edited by Second Base
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys, I hate to come across as a dick but try to stay on subject in this thread please.  Prospects. Minor Leaguers. Scouting. Articles on our farm system or prospects.  There are plenty

What a nice swing... I just can't shake the feeling this is the season he puts it all together. The power combined with his plate discipline and hitting. One of the top prospects in all of baseball by

Hearing that Knowles was moved to 2B in the instructional league. 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Which only supports the notion that pitching needs to be valued higher and acquired when the oopportunity arises, something that Eppler has completely failed to do early in drafts. 

If high quality pitching wasn't available, it'd be one thing. The fact that it has been readily available at pretty much every pick is another entirely. It speaks to Eppler's inability to accurately value high end pitching talent. 

But it also makes his preference for high end position players at least understandable. But it creates a VERY uneven distribution of talent in the farm, and teams with quality young pitching will understand that it is quite a bit more rare than upside position players. So trading a good hitting prospect for a good outcome prospect becomes much more difficult. 

but that's the thing.  It doesn't support it.  The odds of getting high quality pitching in the slots we've had available is extremely low vs. the odds of getting a valuable position player in the same slot.  There are so few high quality pitchers these days yet a shit ton of pitchers are drafted.  That's known as recall bias. You remember the 2 or 3 pitchers we passed on that could be or are studs yet you disregard the other 30 that never made it to the majors or ended up in the pen or ended up back end starters.  

how many team's drafts from 2016/17 were better than Thaiss, Marsh, Adell, Canning with their first four picks?  

No one has the ability to accurately value high end pitching talent because there isn't very much of it.  It's a choice to no pursue it because there isn't very much of it.  It's not readily available.  It's few and far between relative to the value you can get on the position player side.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That's really high for a 17 year-old (Vera).

In fact, here's another one from 12-2-2019 that has him even higher (#5).      https://www.fantraxhq.com/top-25-los-angeles-angels-prospects-2020/

another reminder of how bad this farm system used to be.  90% of the talent or future talent in this system is concentrated from the DSL to A ball in terms of depth.  Yes there are a handful of guys in the upper levels now but outside of them there is almost nothing.  That huge gap of talent from A+ to AAA still exists and it won't fill in for probably 2 years.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

another reminder of how bad this farm system used to be.  90% of the talent or future talent in this system is concentrated from the DSL to A ball in terms of depth.  Yes there are a handful of guys in the upper levels now but outside of them there is almost nothing.  That huge gap of talent from A+ to AAA still exists and it won't fill in for probably 2 years.  

This, under almost all circumstances

Regarding this season's #10 overall pick though, because there are so many college pitchers with first round projections, wouldn't it make sense for the Halos to use the first round pick on a college pitcher if that pick is projected to be around the #10 overall pick?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

This, under almost all circumstances

Regarding this season's #10 overall pick though, because there are so many college pitchers with first round projections, wouldn't it make sense for the Halos to use the first round pick on a college pitcher if that pick is projected to be around the #10 overall pick?  

I seriously doubt it unless a guy who was projected to go top 3 falls to them but based on their track record I think the Angels feel spending the 10th pick on a pitcher would be a waste.  They'll draft the most projectable player on the board.  It could be a college pitcher/player because they don't have 2nd round slot money this year but my feeling is that you can still get an elite talent in the top ten so they'll likely go big on that pick and save money elsewhere.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I seriously doubt it unless a guy who was projected to go top 3 falls to them but based on their track record I think the Angels feel spending the 10th pick on a pitcher would be a waste.  They'll draft the most projectable player on the board.  It could be a college pitcher/player because they don't have 2nd round slot money this year but my feeling is that you can still get an elite talent in the top ten so they'll likely go big on that pick and save money elsewhere.  

I am actually 50-50 on taking a college pitcher for this year's first round pick.    It seems like the perfect scenario with so many available.   But I also get looking for elite talent, if someone falls to #10 overall for no huge reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Marsh at 43 Nice. i'm kind surprised, i felt he was more around the 50-65 range, but i'll take it. 

if he hits 20-25 hrs this year he's gonna move into the top 20.  I'm about a bees dick less excited for Marsh than I am Adell.  Marsh is a guy I could see winning a batting title at some point.  Like a Michael Brantley type.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...