• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Marsh - Yes.

Adams - Word on the ground is he (along with Kyren Paris) were the biggest surprises at ATS. Adams developed a ton after the 2019 season, scouts reported on that from instructional league in 2019. There's some buzz that Adams could be ready for AAA and the majors in 2021. He's bigger, stronger, faster, better than anyone anticipated. Runs like a gazelle in the OF, is hitting line drive opposite fields HR's in BP. Strong kid. I think he'll be in AA to start, but will be moved up to AAA early when it's clear he's got that level handled. 

Detmers - Maddon said he'd promote him if the Angels were playoff bound and they needed him. Detmers should be ready to go in AA.

Paris - He developed physically in 2019/2020 and showed up to the ATS looking less like an athletic teen and more like a professional athlete. Scouts loved his instincts in the field and the adjustments he made from AB to AB. He'll be in low A at minimum, maybe even high A.

Rodriguez - In the podcast he talked about the big thing with the Angels was seeing if he can be fully healthy, and use his entire arsenal still. Once he showed them he could, then they wanted to see how it played up against better competition. They won't keep him in high A when he likely would've been in AA to end 2019. He'll be in AA, and if he's as healthy and good as the Angels scouts believe, then he'll be in AAA quickly.

Kochanowicz - Nothing but glowing reports since being drafted. They aren't going to stick him at the complex when he likely would've been at Burlington for a portion of 2020. They aren't going to rush him because there's still some inconsistency between appearances, but he should probably split the season between low A and high A.

Martinez - He's an older prospect already. Some of the younger guys might be fine missing a year and remaining on a decent career arc, but not Martinez. Power is the last tool to develop, and if his indeed has, then you're looking at a prospect that can play all three outfield spots, run a little bit, has a plus hit tool and 15-20 HR power. He might be a borderline starter, in the way Brian Goodwin is. I suspect he'll be skipping AA and will be in a "make our break" season in AAA. Either he makes it and it's going to be a low end starter/reserve in the majors soon, or he doesn't, in which case he'll be depth fodder. But I don't envision him being in AA. 

Plancencia - There's so much more that goes into the Dominican academy that has nothing to do with baseball, that it's difficult to gauge when a player will make the stateside leap. It's a school. They learn how to read, write, speak English, American culture, they learn to make their bed in the morning, the basics of money management, how to keep a schedule, how to handle themselves in the clubhouse, how to train and eat properly, and yes, they practice and play ball a little too. I honestly have no idea where Placencia is on the scale of things because I don't know him personally. I'm guessing he'll be stateside, but I don't know. Maybe you do, or someone else does.

Perhaps my predictions on where players will be placed were a bit conservative. It's tough for me to say because fans didn't get to see what was happening at the Alternate Site or at Instructs.

You're probably right on Rodriguez.

Ultimately, the people in the Angels organization know what went on during the offseason, at the Alternate Site, and at Instructs so they should have a good idea of where those guys are at.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Marsh - Yes.

Adams - Word on the ground is he (along with Kyren Paris) were the biggest surprises at ATS. Adams developed a ton after the 2019 season, scouts reported on that from instructional league in 2019. There's some buzz that Adams could be ready for AAA and the majors in 2021. He's bigger, stronger, faster, better than anyone anticipated. Runs like a gazelle in the OF, is hitting line drive opposite fields HR's in BP. Strong kid. I think he'll be in AA to start, but will be moved up to AAA early when it's clear he's got that level handled. 

I just messed myself.

If what you say is true, I'm guessing we'll see Adell or, more likely, Marsh traded.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If Adams takes a big leap this year is ends up being that good defensively, I wonder how soon he displaces Trout to LF.  My guess is that even if he takes off we'll see him move to AAA but not the majors in 2021.  

Yeah, I'm guessing him being in the majors in 2021 is aggressive, and unlikely, but also underlines the development that's taken place with him. I no longer have insider info regarding any Angels farm hand, that was two regimes ago. But I'm told Adams is the best athlete in the system, and likely all of minor league baseball. Better than Adell, better than Marsh, better than Taylor Trammell. 

He would've made one heck of a WR at the college level, maybe even beyond. That dunk in high school was child's play, literally. With the maturity, development and training he's had, Jordyn Adams could be Byron Buxton level good. Good comp by TBW  on that one. Sure he won't have the hype or fanfare, but he looks like everything on the field, Adams has that potential. 

Wouldn't it be crazy, if for all the talk about Adell and Marsh, if Adams ended up being the real prize? Swanson really knew how to draft athletes.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Perhaps my predictions on where players will be placed were a bit conservative. It's tough for me to say because fans didn't get to see what was happening at the Alternate Site or at Instructs.

You're probably right on Rodriguez.

Ultimately, the people in the Angels organization know what went on during the offseason, at the Alternate Site, and at Instructs so they should have a good idea of where those guys are at.

the one thing we don't really know is if the Angels will continue to be as aggressive with promotions as they were under Eppler.  Considering how the Angels were probably of the most aggressive teams in baseball, they probably won't.  

I not arguing for it one way or another frankly.  I think it could easily end up exactly how you mentioned.  Maybe with fewer levels to conquer there will be a slower roll on promotions going forward.   There's definitely going to be some strategy employed by various teams in anticipation of how the new minor league system is going to work along with fewer drafted players.  Who knows.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Yeah, I'm guessing him being in the majors in 2021 is aggressive, and unlikely, but also underlines the development that's taken place with him. I no longer have insider info regarding any Angels farm hand, that was two regimes ago. But I'm told Adams is the best athlete in the system, and likely all of minor league baseball. Better than Adell, better than Marsh, better than Taylor Trammell. 

He would've made one heck of a WR at the college level, maybe even beyond. That dunk in high school was child's play, literally. With the maturity, development and training he's had, Jordyn Adams could be Byron Buxton level good. Good comp by TBW  on that one. Sure he won't have the hype or fanfare, but he looks like everything on the field, Adams has that potential. 

Wouldn't it be crazy, if for all the talk about Adell and Marsh, if Adams ended up being the real prize? Swanson really knew how to draft athletes.

for Adams, my biggest question is going to be that hit tool.  But he's been very willing to take a walk even though he's really only play about a seasons worth of games overall.  Yet his bb rate is way better than Buxton's was in the minors even though Buxton showed very good hitting skills that have yet to totally translate at the major league level.  

I actually feel like Adell is more like Buxton in many ways.  Except one very important thing and that Adell's power.  Adams and Buxton sound like they're a lot closer defensively.  Personally, I think Adell's defense will be much improved in RF this year.  

I'm quite interested in what sort of in game power we see from Adams this year.  

would have loved if Swanson was involved in that 2016 draft and I really hope they keep him on board.  Outside of the Will Wilson pick he grabbed some really exciting players.  The amateur portion of Eppler's tenure has a ton of potential both domestically and internationally.  There's still a random assortment of HS guys from those 17-19 drafts who we've barely even seen.  And I like what they did in 2020.  

He's done well enough imo to definitely keep him around for at least another draft.  Partly because there's gonna be a huge pool of players that were scouted and expected to get drafted in 2020 that are gonna be in the pool for 2021.  If they only go 20 rounds, there's gonna be a much deeper group to pick from.  

I think it will be worthwhile to spend a lot of resources on this next draft.  They're probably gonna have maybe 2-3 months of in person time where they can go see these guys before the draft with all of those 6-10th rounders from last year still available.  A bunch of who would have substantially increased their stock and actually been taken in those first 5 rounds had they played.  They need to do a full court press because the math tells us that the pool of potentially useful players is probably 50% larger than it was in previous years.  

In a AAA outfield of Marsh, Adell, and Adams who lines up where? Who’s the best defender?

I doubt we’ll actually see this bc I expect one to be traded and there are other OF in the system, but I see Adam’s being hyped and Marsh was supposedly the best defender of the three while Adams is the best athlete, but all three are athletic. 

In Anaheim, all three can play CF, all three can play LF, and marsh is likely the RF of the bunch, Adell clearly needs work there. 

18 minutes ago, Hubs said:

In a AAA outfield of Marsh, Adell, and Adams who lines up where? Who’s the best defender?

I doubt we’ll actually see this bc I expect one to be traded and there are other OF in the system, but I see Adam’s being hyped and Marsh was supposedly the best defender of the three while Adams is the best athlete, but all three are athletic. 

In Anaheim, all three can play CF, all three can play LF, and marsh is likely the RF of the bunch, Adell clearly needs work there. 

As much as I would love to keep all three of those guys and I don’t really want to trade them, there is still a bit of excitement knowing we can actually trade to get a quality arm if we move one of these guys. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I have my doubts it will happen, but if it were about skill alone, it would be Adell in LF, Adams in CF and Marsh in RF. But nothing occurs in a vacuum like that. The Angels would want Adell to get time in RF because that's where he plays in the majors in the short term until Upton's contact is off the books. But CF is Adell's most comfortable position.

Marsh is a better outfielder at any position than Adell, but generally speaking left handed throwers do not play LF as much. Marsh has the best arm of the three and that profiles well in RF and after Upton is gone, that's where he profiles best. But the Angels are experimenting with him at 1B, as a way of getting him in the lineup and possibly keeping all three.

Adams is the best outfielder among all three. Best range, best jumps, best routes, fastest, most athletic (which are all factors in range).  His arm is stronger than Adell's by a little, but not as good as Marsh's. If he doesn't get traded, he has no business moving away from CF.

I don't know how receptive Trout is to moving away from CF. He seems like the sort that would do anything to help the team win. It seems like he stopped stealing bases altogether even though the speed is still largely there, because they're trying to keep him healthy. But if Trout is open to playing LF starting in 2022 or 2023, then you definitely keep Adams.

Maybe the layout ends up being Trout in LF, Adams in CF, Adell in RF and Marsh at 1B. But more likely, is one of them will get traded and we'll be heartbroken.

If it were me, I'd be most open to moving Adell, but he's still going to be a stud either way. You don't want to break up a pair like Adell and Marsh but there's definitely some likelihood there. Marsh may end up being extremely Blackmon level good. And he's in AAA. Are you sure you want to lose that much upside, this close to the majors? I'd hate to move Adams at all, but his path to the Angels is dependent upon several factors, and yet he holds the greatest upside among all our prized outfielders.

Edited by Second Base

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

Marsh - Yes.

Detmers - Maddon said he'd promote him if the Angels were playoff bound and they needed him. Detmers should be ready to go in AA.

Paris - He developed physically in 2019/2020 and showed up to the ATS looking less like an athletic teen and more like a professional athlete. Scouts loved his instincts in the field and the adjustments he made from AB to AB. He'll be in low A at minimum, maybe even high A.

Rodriguez - In the podcast he talked about the big thing with the Angels was seeing if he can be fully healthy, and use his entire arsenal still. Once he showed them he could, then they wanted to see how it played up against better competition. They won't keep him in high A when he likely would've been in AA to end 2019. He'll be in AA, and if he's as healthy and good as the Angels scouts believe, then he'll be in AAA quickly.

Kochanowicz - Nothing but glowing reports since being drafted. They aren't going to stick him at the complex when he likely would've been at Burlington for a portion of 2020. They aren't going to rush him because there's still some inconsistency between appearances, but he should probably split the season between low A and high A.

Martinez - He's an older prospect already. Some of the younger guys might be fine missing a year and remaining on a decent career arc, but not Martinez. Power is the last tool to develop, and if his indeed has, then you're looking at a prospect that can play all three outfield spots, run a little bit, has a plus hit tool and 15-20 HR power. He might be a borderline starter, in the way Brian Goodwin is. I suspect he'll be skipping AA and will be in a "make our break" season in AAA. Either he makes it and it's going to be a low end starter/reserve in the majors soon, or he doesn't, in which case he'll be depth fodder. But I don't envision him being in AA. 

Plancencia - There's so much more that goes into the Dominican academy that has nothing to do with baseball, that it's difficult to gauge when a player will make the stateside leap. It's a school. They learn how to read, write, speak English, American culture, they learn to make their bed in the morning, the basics of money management, how to keep a schedule, how to handle themselves in the clubhouse, how to train and eat properly, and yes, they practice and play ball a little too. I honestly have no idea where Placencia is on the scale of things because I don't know him personally. I'm guessing he'll be stateside, but I don't know. Maybe you do, or someone else does.

I'll be in my bunk.

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

If Adams,  Marsh, and Adell are as good as I keep reading on here then we should trade Trout for pitching.

FYI. For those who don't get it, this is a sarcastic statement.

This is very relative and early, but likely outcome, I believe Adell and Marsh both end up being around 3-5-win players. Adams, it's still very early on and we still haven't seen his true potential, but I think he develops into a 4-5 win player.

Just look at their comps. Adell's most consistent comparison in Justin Upton and Torii Hunter. Both ate cookbooks around 3-4 wins each year. Some 5 win seasons mixed in too. Marsh's comp has been Blackmon and he's all over the map, sometimes he's 2 wings, sometimes he's 5. On average, probably right there around 3-4. And Adams is Buxton and even before Byron had fully developed, at age 23 he was a 5-win player. I wouldn't expect that every year because he ran a lot and much of it was defensive value, but I think 4-wins could be expected. And that's where I see Adams.

They are prospects and nothing is certain, but that's what I view as a likely outcome. Maybe it's optimistic. But that's what I see.

How about Grady Sizemore as a comp for Adams? Sizemore hit 13 HR in his last full minor league season in AAA at age 20, so Adams is a bit behind him developmentally, but the point being that Sizemore was proto-Trout before Trout, and had a similar profile as Adams with speed, developing power, plate discipline, and tremendous athleticism. Sizemore had a four-year run from 2005-08 (age 22-25) in which he hit .281/.372/.496, averaging 27 HR and 29 SB, and 6.8 WAR per season.

I could see Adams peaking around there, perhaps with a few more SB.

This is very relative and early, but likely outcome, I believe Adell and Marsh both end up being around 3-5-win players. Adams, it's still very early on and we still haven't seen his true potential, but I think he develops into a 4-5 win player.

Just look at their comps. Adell's most consistent comparison in Justin Upton and Torii Hunter. Both ate cookbooks around 3-4 wins each year. Some 5 win seasons mixed in too. Marsh's comp has been Blackmon and he's all over the map, sometimes he's 2 wings, sometimes he's 5. On average, probably right there around 3-4. And Adams is Buxton and even before Byron had fully developed, at age 23 he was a 5-win player. I wouldn't expect that every year because he ran a lot and much of it was defensive value, but I think 4-wins could be expected. And that's where I see Adams.

They are prospects and nothing is certain, but that's what I view as a likely outcome. Maybe it's optimistic. But that's what I see.

this is a great typo btw.  

I feel like Marsh might be the most reliable prospect between the 3 of them. 

He may not turn into an All-start, but could easily be a 3 war guys per year throughout his carrer. 

Adell's K rates do scare me a bit, but it's also part of the game. I think the Upton and Hunter comps are spot on. 

Adam will have to see, but one of the main reason i don't want to see him trades is that he has so much untapped potential and if we plan on trading him, i would like it to be for equal or close to his true value.  

19 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I feel like Marsh might be the most reliable prospect between the 3 of them. 

He may not turn into an All-start, but could easily be a 3 war guys per year throughout his carrer. 

Adell's K rates do scare me a bit, but it's also part of the game. I think the Upton and Hunter comps are spot on. 

Adam will have to see, but one of the main reason i don't want to see him trades is that he has so much untapped potential and if we plan on trading him, i would like it to be for equal or close to his true value.  

I've always been borderline with Adell over Marsh, but I've been leaning a bit towards Marsh these days because of just this: Not only does he have a very high floor (2-3 WAR, or a solid regular), but his ceiling isn't that much lower than Adell's.