• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Since so many have linked your tweets it is kind of funny you haven't been a member for years. Welcome aboard but remember this is like hanging out with a bunch of drunk friends and friends of those drunk friends then a few malcontents at the end of the bar arguing over the value of Babhip while some think it has to do pitching and others Kate Upton's modeling career.

FantasticLinearBuzzard-max-1mb.gif

Guess which is the correct answer?

I feel tingly and nervous. 

7 hours ago, taylorblakeward said:

Howdy, new here to Angels Win. Someone sent me a link to this page and I found it interesting. Thank you for the kind words and enjoying the piece. As for the Wolf/Seminaris comparison: It was one of two that did not come from a scout and it actually came from the Long Beach State coach who played with Wolf. It was hard finding video of Wolf in his younger years, but I did find this side-by-side I made right after the draft that is a tad clearer (

Seminaris is definitely the better athlete of the pair between the stages of life in the side-by-sides, but I understand your confusion. It was definitely a challenge to make it close. Thanks again for the kind words.

love some good comps.  thanks again for sharing these.  we link to a lot of the prospect stuff from you and Jared Tims.  With the way the minors will be from now on we're gonna need some serious help getting our prospect fix on the low level guys.  

On 12/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. Marsh

2. Adams

3. Detmers

4. Paris

5. Rodriguez

6. Jackson

7. Knowles

8. Kochanowicz

9. Martinez

10. Placencia 

Can someone fill me in on the newer names on this list and where they’re projected to start in 2021? What level I mean. 

With only 4 levels of organized ball now I’d think anyone who played at rookie or short season before would be tickets for IE now that that’s low A (which to me is totally dumb and totally east coast biased).

I hope they revise this when they realize how many rainouts they get in April in full season High A in the Northwest.

Anyway, I’m particularly interested in the 5-15 guys, (Vera) who will move into the top 5 when guys like Marsh and Detmers graduate to the majors. 

1. Marsh - AAA

2. Adams - AA

3. Detmers - AA

4. Paris - High A?

5. Rodriguez - AA?

6. Jackson - Low A?

7. Knowles ?

8. Koch ?

9. Martinez ?

10. Placencia ?

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Can someone fill me in on the newer names on this list and where they’re projected to start in 2021? What level I mean. 

With only 4 levels of organized ball now I’d think anyone who played at rookie or short season before would be tickets for IE now that that’s low A (which to me is totally dumb and totally east coast biased).

I hope they revise this when they realize how many rainouts they get in April in full season High A in the Northwest.

Anyway, I’m particularly interested in the 5-15 guys, (Vera) who will move into the top 5 when guys like Marsh and Detmers graduate to the majors. 

1. Marsh - AAA

2. Adams - AA

3. Detmers - AA

4. Paris - High A?

5. Rodriguez - AA?

6. Jackson - Low A?

7. Knowles ?

8. Koch ?

9. Martinez ?

10. Placencia ?

Knowles will probably split the season between low-A and high-A. Same with Kochanowicz. Martinez will be in AAA. Placencia will likely remain at the complex in Arizona for much of the year. 

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

1. Marsh - AAA

2. Adams - AA

3. Detmers - AA

4. Paris - High A?

5. Rodriguez - AA?

6. Jackson - Low A?

7. Knowles ?

8. Koch ?

9. Martinez ?

10. Placencia ?

My guesses would be:

Marsh: AAA.

Adams: High-A with a quick trigger to AA.

Detmers: High-A with a quick trigger to AA (just like Canning at the start of the 2018 season).

Paris: Rookie (AZL).

Rodriguez: High-A with a quick trigger to AA.

Jackson: Low-A.

Knowles: Low-A.

Koch: Rookie (AZL) to control his innings and then Low-A.

Martinez: AA.

Placencia: Dominican (DSL)

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

You think so? He hasn't even played a single game at AA. I'd be surprised if he skipped AA and started at AAA.

there are going to be a ton of guys skipping for 2021.  

think of it like a guy who missed a ton of time with an injury.  It's not just the numbers they produce that determine a bump up.  It's mental maturity, work ethic, actual physical growth and stamina etc.  I think more development was going on behind the scenes than we realize.  

Take a Chris Rodriguez for instance.  He was injured all of 2018 and after only 24 innings in A ball in 2017, they pushed him to A+ in 2019.  He likely would have started there again in 2020 and then moved to AA.  

So I think it'll be a mixed back and not just based on where they ended up in 2019.  

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

There’s no longer an AZL rookie league

Yeah there is. There are the four full season teams (AAA/AA/High-A/Low-A) and a complex team in both the US and Dominican for every MLB team (which are short season). The complex team is essentially the AZL Angels.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

there are going to be a ton of guys skipping for 2021.  

think of it like a guy who missed a ton of time with an injury.  It's not just the numbers they produce that determine a bump up.  It's mental maturity, work ethic, actual physical growth and stamina etc.  I think more development was going on behind the scenes than we realize.  

Take a Chris Rodriguez for instance.  He was injured all of 2018 and after only 24 innings in A ball in 2017, they pushed him to A+ in 2019.  He likely would have started there again in 2020 and then moved to AA.  

So I think it'll be a mixed back and not just based on where they ended up in 2019.  

I think the players who were at the alternate site have a greater chance of skipping levels. Martinez wasn't among those at the alternate site, so it's hard for me to see him skipping a level. For someone like Rodriguez, skipping a level seems more likely because he was facing AAA/MLB caliber players at the alternate site.

@Trendon

I think the other complicating factor is that a lot of guys are going to get pushed with the new structure.  You'll see quite a few more guys who would normally have stay around to wait for Orem to start get pushed to low A and consequently a bun of guys will move up accordingly (or the other way around really where a guy gets moved up and someone at a level below will take his place).  

I also imagine you will see fewer of those career minor league guys who are 28 and still playing in AAA.  There just isn't going to be as much roster space.  This will ultimately lead to starting clocks earlier and less manipulation of service time.  

9 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think the players who were at the alternate site have a greater chance of skipping levels. Martinez wasn't among those at the alternate site, so it's hard for me to see him skipping a level. For someone like Rodriguez, skipping a level seems more likely because he was facing AAA/MLB caliber players at the alternate site.

he was there according to the roster from Oct.  

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-los-angeles-angels-instructional-league-roster/

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was referring to the alternate training site in Long Beach, not the instructional league. Perhaps instructs were enough for Martinez, but some players (like Rodriguez) got experience at both the alternate site during the season and instructs after the season.

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

@Trendon

I think the other complicating factor is that a lot of guys are going to get pushed with the new structure.  You'll see quite a few more guys who would normally have stay around to wait for Orem to start get pushed to low A and consequently a bun of guys will move up accordingly (or the other way around really where a guy gets moved up and someone at a level below will take his place).  

I also imagine you will see fewer of those career minor league guys who are 28 and still playing in AAA.  There just isn't going to be as much roster space.  This will ultimately lead to starting clocks earlier and less manipulation of service time.  

Hopefully there is a full minor league season so that we can see how it plays out.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

My guesses would be:

Marsh: AAA.

Adams: High-A with a quick trigger to AA.

Detmers: High-A with a quick trigger to AA (just like Canning at the start of the 2018 season).

Paris: Rookie (AZL).

Rodriguez: High-A with a quick trigger to AA.

Jackson: Low-A.

Knowles: Low-A.

Koch: Rookie (AZL) to control his innings and then Low-A.

Martinez: AA.

Placencia: Dominican (DSL)

Marsh - Yes.

Adams - Word on the ground is he (along with Kyren Paris) were the biggest surprises at ATS. Adams developed a ton after the 2019 season, scouts reported on that from instructional league in 2019. There's some buzz that Adams could be ready for AAA and the majors in 2021. He's bigger, stronger, faster, better than anyone anticipated. Runs like a gazelle in the OF, is hitting line drive opposite fields HR's in BP. Strong kid. I think he'll be in AA to start, but will be moved up to AAA early when it's clear he's got that level handled. 

Detmers - Maddon said he'd promote him if the Angels were playoff bound and they needed him. Detmers should be ready to go in AA.

Paris - He developed physically in 2019/2020 and showed up to the ATS looking less like an athletic teen and more like a professional athlete. Scouts loved his instincts in the field and the adjustments he made from AB to AB. He'll be in low A at minimum, maybe even high A.

Rodriguez - In the podcast he talked about the big thing with the Angels was seeing if he can be fully healthy, and use his entire arsenal still. Once he showed them he could, then they wanted to see how it played up against better competition. They won't keep him in high A when he likely would've been in AA to end 2019. He'll be in AA, and if he's as healthy and good as the Angels scouts believe, then he'll be in AAA quickly.

Kochanowicz - Nothing but glowing reports since being drafted. They aren't going to stick him at the complex when he likely would've been at Burlington for a portion of 2020. They aren't going to rush him because there's still some inconsistency between appearances, but he should probably split the season between low A and high A.

Martinez - He's an older prospect already. Some of the younger guys might be fine missing a year and remaining on a decent career arc, but not Martinez. Power is the last tool to develop, and if his indeed has, then you're looking at a prospect that can play all three outfield spots, run a little bit, has a plus hit tool and 15-20 HR power. He might be a borderline starter, in the way Brian Goodwin is. I suspect he'll be skipping AA and will be in a "make our break" season in AAA. Either he makes it and it's going to be a low end starter/reserve in the majors soon, or he doesn't, in which case he'll be depth fodder. But I don't envision him being in AA. 

Plancencia - There's so much more that goes into the Dominican academy that has nothing to do with baseball, that it's difficult to gauge when a player will make the stateside leap. It's a school. They learn how to read, write, speak English, American culture, they learn to make their bed in the morning, the basics of money management, how to keep a schedule, how to handle themselves in the clubhouse, how to train and eat properly, and yes, they practice and play ball a little too. I honestly have no idea where Placencia is on the scale of things because I don't know him personally. I'm guessing he'll be stateside, but I don't know. Maybe you do, or someone else does.

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Marsh - Yes.

Adams - Word on the ground is he (along with Kyren Paris) were the biggest surprises at ATS. Adams developed a ton after the 2019 season, scouts reported on that from instructional league in 2019. There's some buzz that Adams could be ready for AAA and the majors in 2021. He's bigger, stronger, faster, better than anyone anticipated. Runs like a gazelle in the OF, is hitting line drive opposite fields HR's in BP. Strong kid. I think he'll be in AA to start, but will be moved up to AAA early when it's clear he's got that level handled. 

Detmers - Maddon said he'd promote him if the Angels were playoff bound and they needed him. Detmers should be ready to go in AA.

Paris - He developed physically in 2019/2020 and showed up to the ATS looking less like an athletic teen and more like a professional athlete. Scouts loved his instincts in the field and the adjustments he made from AB to AB. He'll be in low A at minimum, maybe even high A.

Rodriguez - In the podcast he talked about the big thing with the Angels was seeing if he can be fully healthy, and use his entire arsenal still. Once he showed them he could, then they wanted to see how it played up against better competition. They won't keep him in high A when he likely would've been in AA to end 2019. He'll be in AA, and if he's as healthy and good as the Angels scouts believe, then he'll be in AAA quickly.

Kochanowicz - Nothing but glowing reports since being drafted. They aren't going to stick him at the complex when he likely would've been at Burlington for a portion of 2020. They aren't going to rush him because there's still some inconsistency between appearances, but he should probably split the season between low A and high A.

Martinez - He's an older prospect already. Some of the younger guys might be fine missing a year and remaining on a decent career arc, but not Martinez. Power is the last tool to develop, and if his indeed has, then you're looking at a prospect that can play all three outfield spots, run a little bit, has a plus hit tool and 15-20 HR power. He might be a borderline starter, in the way Brian Goodwin is. I suspect he'll be skipping AA and will be in a "make our break" season in AAA. Either he makes it and it's going to be a low end starter/reserve in the majors soon, or he doesn't, in which case he'll be depth fodder. But I don't envision him being in AA. 

Plancencia - There's so much more that goes into the Dominican academy that has nothing to do with baseball, that it's difficult to gauge when a player will make the stateside leap. It's a school. They learn how to read, write, speak English, American culture, they learn to make their bed in the morning, the basics of money management, how to keep a schedule, how to handle themselves in the clubhouse, how to train and eat properly, and yes, they practice and play ball a little too. I honestly have no idea where Placencia is on the scale of things because I don't know him personally. I'm guessing he'll be stateside, but I don't know. Maybe you do, or someone else does.

If Adams takes a big leap this year is ends up being that good defensively, I wonder how soon he displaces Trout to LF.  My guess is that even if he takes off we'll see him move to AAA but not the majors in 2021.  

I'm looking forward to Adams playing at the MLB level in 2021.... where he will struggle and then Angel fans will make him the go-to trade piece in every ridiculous trade scenario they come up with, claiming he's a bust.