• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
    Click on the image above to donate!

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

On 11/14/2020 at 8:55 AM, Warfarin said:

I think the Pioneer League (and hence Orem) is for sure gone.  I think each team will have 4 minor league teams (AAA, AA, hi-A, low-A), an Arizona complex team, and a DSL team.  So I do think Orem is gone.  Likewise, I think they are restructuring teams and systems.  I think there's going to be a lot of changes to the minor leagues next year, assuming it isn't canceled...

Manfred was yapping about possibly shuttering all of A ball and instead using an alternate site type setting for guys typically in the lower levels.  Minor league baseball is going to be different, not sure if they will increase the roster sizes in AA and AAA, but not a real fan of all the proposed changes.   The teams that were carrying one extra team in rookie ball are going to have to release a ton of guys.

VINTAGE. BASEBALL. STORY. 
Visit Big Fly Gear to get your baseball apparel today!
  • Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris Rodriguez, RHP, Angels Rodriguez showed some of the best stuff of any pitcher in Arizona. His fastball sat 94-96 mph with sinking, tailing life and he commanded three secondary pitches that

Hey guys, I hate to come across as a dick but try to stay on subject in this thread please.  Prospects. Minor Leaguers. Scouting. Articles on our farm system or prospects.  There are plenty

Erik Rivera, LHP/OF, Angels Rivera shows the most promise of the many two-way players the Angels are trying to develop. The 2019 fourth-round pick showed a good lefthanded swing with power at the

Posted Images

I'm hoping that some of the Indy leagues can find a way to take advantage of this.  It's gonna be tough though.  

I would imagine they'll have to expand the rosters.  Either way, I think it will not only thin out the lower ranks, but you won't see as many guys as those AAAA types anymore in their late 20's just trying to get a shot.  MLB teams are likely going to promote guys that could use more seasoning although it could cut down on service time manipulation.  If this is all about the money then we likely won't see the rosters expand.  

I'm in favor of some form of realignment so teams are closer to one another and to the parent club.  Too bad they are using as an opportunity to line their pockets and impact the culture of the game going forward.  There are too many stories of UDFA and 39th rounders making it or guys that are late bloomers.  Unlikely there will be as many of those on a go forward.  

Also makes me wonder if this pushes more kids into college 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

What made the owners seemingly greedier than they’ve been in a long time?

Does Tony Clark get some blame for being a bad players union lead, and the owners are simply walking all over him now?

Clark doesn't really get any say in what happens with minor leaguers, so he can't really get any grief on that end..  But, while I think he was in over his head, the reality is he got the players what they wanted.  Unfortunately what the players need more than any mouthpiece is someone to help plot their course into the next decade and the changing revenue streams..... because asking for chefs to do the team's post game spread proved to be a really moronic ''get'' in light of everything they lost..

On 11/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Do NOT cancel minor league baseball again, ManLessFred and cheap owners!

You do realize this about lawsuits instead of just money out of pocket to fund the minors?

There is no way to create a minor league bubble so even with protocols the probability of player/coach/support staff infection is huge and every ambulance chaser is going to be ready to pounce on these cases as workers compensation claims. 

Liability, not up front costs, are their concerns. 

I'm interested to see if Minasian stocks up on upper-level minor league free agents.

The Angels only have non-40 man roster position players in the entire organization who have played more than 10 games at or above AA. Even if some guys get promoted from High-A to AA and some people on the 40-man roster get sent down to AAA, they still need more players to fill out a roster.

42 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'm interested to see if Minasian stocks up on upper-level minor league free agents.

The Angels only have non-40 man roster position players in the entire organization who have played more than 10 games at or above AA. Even if some guys get promoted from High-A to AA and some people on the 40-man roster get sent down to AAA, they still need more players to fill out a roster.

More likely youll see teams picking up lower level guys with a high end tool or ability...  At least, that's what I'd expect if they end up killing off A ball.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

More likely youll see teams picking up lower level guys with a high end tool or ability...  At least, that's what I'd expect if they end up killing off A ball.

Yeah, they probably will do that. Though, they do need to fill out a roster at AAA and AA if there is a season.

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Do you think they'll actually kill off A ball?

I've seen various proposals floated out there and admittedly am not sure what the most recent one is, but it seems like each team will get 4 minor league teams (i.e. AAA, AA, hi-A, low-A).  The short league teams will vanish (i.e. Orem).  Teams will still have "complex ball" (i.e. the AZL Angels) and one Dominican League Team.

So I guess, what it seems like to me, is we will assuredly lose one minor league team, but could possibly still have all the others?

12 hours ago, Trendon said:

I'm really fascinated to see how he'll approach our minor league system too.  The Braves have a great system, albeit a lot of it was built prior to AA + Minasian.  Still, they've been there for a few years and that system is still strong even as they've graduated their various stars.  I'm sure Minasian will bring the knowledge and experience he's gained, and hopefully, he can convince Arte that more investment is needed to build out the farm system, so that the team can become a perennial contender like the other various draft & develop franchises we see.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Do you think they'll actually kill off A ball?

I've seen various proposals floated out there and admittedly am not sure what the most recent one is, but it seems like each team will get 4 minor league teams (i.e. AAA, AA, hi-A, low-A).  The short league teams will vanish (i.e. Orem).  Teams will still have "complex ball" (i.e. the AZL Angels) and one Dominican League Team.

So I guess, what it seems like to me, is we will assuredly lose one minor league team, but could possibly still have all the others?

No idea, just seen comments from Manfred saying they learned a lot from the alternate site and may make further changes to the minors.  In his mind the alternate site was a great success.  I don't believe it would make a lot if sense but they are definitely looking to cut cost and liabilities. 

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is going to be a crazy hectic winter for minor league signings.  Hansel Rodriguez and Yordi Rosario actually had some prospect talk to them.

I feel like Aviles had some buzz at one point too, but I don't see much. Maybe speed/defense?

Isabel has some legit power. 28, 36, and 26 HR in last three full seasons. 

Jake Reed and McCurry are classic career minor league reliever guys who have the strikeout stuff to appear out of nowhere with a solid MLB season. 

Wilson and Didder are both former Braves too, so Minasian is picking some guys he's familiar with.

• Chuckster70 unpinned, locked and unlocked this topic