• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sign Alex Wood or Trade Prospects for a Starting Pitcher?

Chuck

Sign Alex Wood or trade prospects for a starting pitcher?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Sign a FA or Trade Prospects for a legit arm?

• Sign Alex Wood?
    • Trade anyone but Jo Adell for a good top of the rotation starter?

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Oh.... And about Alex Wood...  The best argument against him isn't that our guys could be as good as he's been, but rather that because of his dubious health record and horrendous showing last year his future projection is similar to the guys we already have....  So again, the question is whether or not he's healthy..

But using protections as the barometer, neither Wood not Walker is a marked improvement on what we have, so AJ referencing the cost is a legit argument..   The cost would have to be pretty low.

Good point. We aren’t getting him based on how he pitched last year. We would be getting him based on what we think he could do when he’s healthy and taking the risk hoping that he is. Pitchers have down years to injuries all of the time. That’s what  I am hoping was the case with Wood. The fact that he’s only 29 gives me some confidence that his still has some Good stuff in the tank. 

But like you said, it can’t be a stupid overpay. I would think he would even know teams will be somewhat cautious with their approach. He has to put together a full solid year to get a multi year deal worth decent money. Doubt he gets that so that’s why I think we should pounce.

I'd like to see the Angels bring in two more pitchers. Let's say for the sake of the argument, it's Price and Wood. 

What I'd really like to see is Joe Maddon come in and legitimately tell every single pitcher on staff that they're competing for their job, and actually have the balls to back it up. If Teheran or Bundy suck, I want to see him pull the plug, I don't care if the team invested in these guys or not. We don't have a single ace that's been so good you give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't care if our best performers are freaking Dillon Peters and Jose Suarez. Whoever earns it should get the spot. Light a fire under these guys and let them know they're playing for their career, and that nothing is guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'd like to see the Angels bring in two more pitchers. Let's say for the sake of the argument, it's Price and Wood. 

What I'd really like to see is Joe Maddon come in and legitimately tell every single pitcher on staff that they're competing for their job, and actually have the balls to back it up. If Teheran or Bundy suck, I want to see him pull the plug, I don't care if the team invested in these guys or not. We don't have a single ace that's been so good you give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't care if our best performers are freaking Dillon Peters and Jose Suarez. Whoever earns it should get the spot. Light a fire under these guys and let them know they're playing for their career, and that nothing is guaranteed.

Yes fucking please.

36 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

What team is going to trade a TOR pitcher, especially one with team control? Maybe try to get one of the Marlins young starters and try to develop him into a frontline pitcher. This is just an example. Bo team that has designs on contending is going to trade a TOR pitcher. 

Cleveland, twice, apparently 

We're not getting two more rotation pieces before the season starts unless one of our current guys moves in a trade.  

I do agree that one more depth piece would be nice and Alex Wood is a good choice.  If you cut his salary in half then Boston will want something in return.  He's averaged 119 ip the last three years and entering age 34.  Why anyone wants to pay him 15m for the next three years is beyond me.  Let alone 30m.  

I'd rather go year to year on a guy that costs 8 or 9 m and have the payroll flex available to sign or trade for someone more legit should the opportunity arise.  

8 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Well, now that Wood's off the board, looks like we're forced to go the trade route.

You know who may be a good buy low candidate with a bit of upside.  Freddy Peralta...   Dude is slated for the pen again, had an ugly year ERA wise last season and like everyone else in MLB he struggled with the long ball.  But that K/9 rate is pretty nifty, the career FIP under 4.00 (4.18 last year) is not bad and he is still only 24 with 5 years of control.

Not really familiar with the Brewers front office, not sure what they value or how saber inclined their decision makers are ..  But he's someone I'd kick the tires on.

Wood seemed like a good buy low candidate. Sorry to see the Angels miss out on him. 

Dinelson Lamet. Padres don't want to trade pitching, but if you offer them a package around Jordyn Adams or Brandon Marsh and I think they'd whistle a different tune.

Edited by Second Base