• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What will the Astros Punishment be?

Hubs

I have seen several recent articles saying the league is going to crack down hard on the Astros, but I'll believe it when I see it.

One columnist said they would get a 1 year postseason ban.

I personally believe that the Manager, GM, and any employees (including players) who were intrinsic in the design or operation of the system, may get lengthy suspensions.

They'll take draft picks. There is a maximum penalty for infractions.

I also think that Beltran (who is rumored to have been deeply involved in 2017) and Cora (also deeply involved, supposedly) would also be punished even though they are no longer with the Astros.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I have seen several recent articles saying the league is going to crack down hard on the Astros, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I personally believe that the Manager, GM, and any employees (including players) who were intrinsic in the design or operation of the system, may get lengthy suspensions.

I also think that Beltran (who is rumored to have been deeply involved in 2017) and Cora (also deeply involved, supposedly) would also be punished even though they are no longer with the Astros.

jpeg
Fast Mail Tab
Access your Email now from your new tab
FastMailTab.com

How would they ban them from postseason for a year? Why would they even play the season? If there's no point in post season then just kick them out of the league for a year. I imagine it'll be fines and suspensions for GM's and/or managers. 

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

The Astros must trade for Pujols and assume the entire financial obligations.  The Astros also must bat Pujols either 3rd or 4th as described in his contract.

Pujols then hits 41 HR and puts up 8.9 WAR. He repeatedly says how great Houston fans are, rivaled only by Cardinals fans. 

i dont believe they will ban any post season appearances or take away any achievements, even though i believe they should do exactly that.
I do think they will probably lose draft picks and those who have been proven involved will face suspensions perhaps lengthy enough to create a sort of defacto post season ban, but i somehow doubt it.

Honestly, I think it'll be a slap on the wrist. They won't give up their World Series, no one will get a lifetime ban. Chances are, they'll lose a draft pick, and be banned from signing any international free agents for more than 10k for like two or three years. The manager and coaches will each get fined what's basically pocket change (which the front office will pay) and guys like Kevin Goldstein will be fired and banned for like 5 seasons. 

Just a bunch of periphery stuff that won't hurt the organization. Darn they lost a draft pick, they still have 30+ others. Darn, they won't get the top international talent for three years, they still have elite prospects in their system. Darn, the front office will pay a couple million to cover the fines of all the coaches, it won't hurt their financial standing. Darn, Kevin Goldstein will get fired, then another random peon will take his place.

If MLB really wanted to deter teams from every doing this again, they'd take away the world series, fire and ban the entire coaching staff and higher up front office staff, and take away every draft pick and every international signing from the team for last year and this year and not allow the organization to sign or extend any player on a major league contract for more than 5 million for three years

It would essentially make the Astros dead in the water as an organization and force them to rebuild with entirely new personnel. They wouldn't be competitive again for another 5+ years.

Edited by Second Base

40 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think that would be cracking down pretty hard. People freaked out about the Angels trading a mid-first round #1 pick for $13 million dollars. Losing international signing money and maybe half a dozen draft picks would be the equivalent of a very very substantial fine ($20-$50 million depending on the number of picks and the amount of slot money lost). This in addition to the suspensions or bans of those in the front office would be dropping the hammer IMO.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, I think it'll be a slap on the wrist. They won't forget their World Series, no one will get a lifetime ban. Chances are, they'll lose a draft pick, and be banned from signing any international free agents for more than 10k for like two or three years. The manager and coaches will reach get fined what's basically pocket change (which the front office will pay) and guys like Kevin Goldstein will be fired and banned for like 5 seasons. 

Just a bunch of periphery stuff that won't hurt the organization. Darn they lost a draft pick, they still have 30+ others. Darn, they won't get the top international talent for three years, they still have elite perspective in their system. Darn, they front office will pay a couple million to cover the Gomes of all the coaches, it won't hurt their financial standing. Darn, Kevin Goldstein will get fired, then another random peon will take his place.

If MLB really wanted to deter teams from every doing this again, they'd take away the world series, fire and ban the entire coaching staff and higher up front office staff, and take away every draft pick and every international signing from the team for last year and this year and not allow the organization to sign or extend any player on a major irate contact for more than 5 million for three years

It would essentially make the Astros dead in the water as an organization and force them to rebuild with entirely new personnel. They wouldn't be competitive again for another 5+ years.

Sounds fair. I think what would be better is they have to cut everyone. All the players get their contracts voided. Kicked out of baseball for life and then dismantle the team entirely. I think players who use pine tar or are caught cheating or even trying to look at signs should be shot on the spot and maybe just maybe their families as well should be hung in the middle of time square. Death to all. 

Also instead of striking out on strike 3 you must cut off one of your fingers and at the end of 10 strike outs for the year you're officially retired. Really 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Sounds fair. I think what would be better is they have to cut everyone. All the players get their contracts voided. Kicked out of baseball for life and then dismantle the team entirely. I think players who use pine tar or are caught cheating or even trying to look at signs should be shot on the spot and maybe just maybe their families as well should be hung in the middle of time square. Death to all. 

oh my god omg GIF

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, I think it'll be a slap on the wrist. They won't forget their World Series, no one will get a lifetime ban. Chances are, they'll lose a draft pick, and be banned from signing any international free agents for more than 10k for like two or three years. The manager and coaches will reach get fined what's basically pocket change (which the front office will pay) and guys like Kevin Goldstein will be fired and banned for like 5 seasons. 

Just a bunch of periphery stuff that won't hurt the organization. Darn they lost a draft pick, they still have 30+ others. Darn, they won't get the top international talent for three years, they still have elite perspective in their system. Darn, they front office will pay a couple million to cover the Gomes of all the coaches, it won't hurt their financial standing. Darn, Kevin Goldstein will get fired, then another random peon will take his place.

If MLB really wanted to deter teams from every doing this again, they'd take away the world series, fire and ban the entire coaching staff and higher up front office staff, and take away every draft pick and every international signing from the team for last year and this year and not allow the organization to sign or extend any player on a major irate contact for more than 5 million for three years

Three years ago, they stripped the Braves of 13 prospects, and banned their GM for life.

If Lunhow knew this was going on and sanctioned it, helped with it, etc.... He's gonna get banned. Same thing for the manager, Hinch.

I don't expect them to ban Cora and Beltran, but 50 game suspensions, are possible.

I expect them to get hammered.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Three years ago, they stripped the Braves of 13 prospects, and banned their GM for life.

If Lunhow knew this was going on and sanctioned it, helped with it, etc.... He's gonna get banned. Same thing for the manager, Hinch.

I don't expect them to ban Cora and Beltran, but 50 game suspensions, are possible.

I expect them to get hammered.

Good points

26 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Also instead of striking out on strike 3 you must cut off one of your fingers and at the end of 10 strike outs for the year you're officially retired. Really 

I know they won’t do anything but a slap on the wrist, as they would be scared to do anything else. If they really want to send a message and hit them hard, they need to take away their championship, not be allowed to draft or sign players for at least 2-3 years. They need to fired the manager, GM and ban the players involved.