• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This might be unpopular but I think overall Eppler has done well

nate

2 hours ago, eligrba said:

Luhnow was hired in 2011.  Eppler was hired in 2015.  Eppler's record since his hiring is 306-342.  Luhnow's record is 657-639.  However, looking at Luhnow's first 4 seasons comparing his start with Eppler's, his record was 262-386.  In 2011, Luhnow inherited a farm system that was in the bottom 5.  In 2015, we all know the situation of the farm system Eppler inherited.  In 2011, Luhnow inherited a payroll ranked at #18 in MLB.  In 2015 Eppler inherited a payroll ranked at #7.

Luhnow could be a good comp but we need to wait a bit longer for a more accurate analysis.

Too much mental gymnastics. He answered the question, and you didn’t like the answer

On 12/30/2019 at 4:09 PM, nate said:

Not saying he is perfect, his biggest mistakes were hiring Ausmus and signing Cozart.

When you consider though how big of a mess the entire organization was when he took over, I think he has done well building the team up to be winners in the future.

Consider that he had the worst farm system, a team full of bloated salaries and no pitching depth.  He also had a stubborn manager that had clearly lost pace with modern baseball.  Consider that he wasn't drawn into huge bidding wars and overpays for pitchers that allowed the Angels to come into this offseason with a good amount of cash to spend, unfortunately the pitching was still way overpriced but I am happy with the direction of the team and also pleased that he hasn't emptied out the system with reactionary trades.

I really hope Eppler gets a couple more years but I am worried that if this season doesn't go well he is gone.

I have to disagree. You aren’t going to win signing a bunch of guys to one year contracts and where is the young pitching? There still is no catching in the organization. 

I would like to see an overhaul of the Scouting Department and give Eppler the June draft to bring in high upside pitching. 

28 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

I have to disagree. You aren’t going to win signing a bunch of guys to one year contracts and where is the young pitching? There still is no catching in the organization. 

I would like to see an overhaul of the Scouting Department and give Eppler the June draft to bring in high upside pitching. 

Barria, Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, Buttrey, Middleton, Anderson and Jewell.   So half the staff is two years or less in the majors.  

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Barria, Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, Buttrey, Middleton, Anderson and Jewell.   So half the staff is two years or less in the majors.  

Staying on Eppler (5 of the 8 you list are Dipoto signings), Canning (2017 draft) was a good draft pick and maybe Aaron Hernandez (2018 draft) will develop into a quality starting pitcher. Sandoval and Buttrey were good trades. 

I could argue Eppler wifted in the 2016 draft on pitching choosing Thaiss and Noni Willams in 1st and 3rd rounds over say Dakota Hudson or Shane Bieber, but if CRod and/or Jose Soriano (signed by Eppler in March of 2016) develop into solid mid-rotation plus pitchers, it would make the draft/signings a strong one. Could be even better draft if Thaiss develops into solid 1B and Marsh as solid OF.

It's too early to judge 2017, 18 and 19 drafts for pitching. If Jack Kochanowicz develops into top of rotation arm, that alone would legitimize 2019 draft.

The 2016 draft was run by the remnants of the 2015 staff.   Eppler brought his people in for the 2017 season.   

It's not like the scouts were out looking at players that fit Epplers criteria for a year before the draft, they basically had whatever info JDs people had and whatever players they chose to scout in the time they had between his winter hire and the June draft.  For some cold weather HS players it was about a month's worth of games.I

Thaiss was the epitome of high floor low ceiling...  

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The 2016 draft was run by the remnants of the 2015 staff.   Eppler brought his people in for the 2017 season.   

It's not like the scouts were out looking at players that fit Epplers criteria for a year before the draft, they basically had whatever info JDs people had and whatever players they chose to scout in the time they had between his winter hire and the June draft.  For some cold weather HS players it was about a month's worth of games.I

Thaiss was the epitome of high floor low ceiling...  

Eppler was hired October 1st so had plenty of time to become synched with existing staff and draft candidates.

Dakota Hudson pitched for Missisippi State and Shane Bieber for UCal Santa Barbara...not cold weather schools.

They both should have been on  Dipoto's staffs radar anyways as potential high draft  picks.

6 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Eppler was hired October 1st so had plenty of time to become synched with existing staff and draft candidates.

Dakota Hudson pitched for Missisippi State and Shane Bieber for UCal Santa Barbara...not cold weather schools.

They both should have been on  Dipoto's staffs radar anyways as potential high draft  picks.

I’d probably take IP or Scotty’s Opinion on this considering their back ground.  Unless you’ve been to scout school or worked as a scout in the past.  If so I apologize. 

3 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Why only mention Hudson and Bieber? There were 9 pitchers chosen between Thaiss and Hudson. Are they worth mentioning? Is there really a point to waiting 3 years to point out who turned out better? Is that going to make things better in the coming draft? 

Well the Astros drafted Forrest Whitley right after Thaiss.  So there were other pitchers who appear to have a bright future.  That being said he didn’t have his team in place for the draft.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well the Astros drafted Forrest Whitley right after Thaiss.  So there were other pitchers who appear to have a bright future.  That being said he didn’t have his team in place for the draft.  

Why throw a dart at the calendar and choose Jan 1, 2020 as the date to judge that draft? What will they say in 5 years if Thaiss and Marsh turn out to be the best combo of the draft? Throw in Rodriguez for good measure

15 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Why throw a dart at the calendar and choose Jan 1, 2020 as the date to judge that draft? What will they say in 5 years if Thaiss and Marsh turn out to be the best combo of the draft? Throw in Rodriguez for good measure

I have no idea, I am just throwing another name out there.  I actually like Thaiss and understand there are things about the drafting strategy I don’t know that went in to drafting a college player in the first round.  

2 hours ago, ksangel said:

😃  Cold weather schools refers to prep players, there is no such thing as a cold weather college conference that starts the season after the rest of college baseball does.

Hudson and Beiber should have been looked at, unfortunately you/we have no idea if they were actually scouted and cross-checked prior to 2016 -- that's the point I'm making.   Any and all information the Angels had on players coming into that 2016 season was based on the players the previous regime had targeted and made an effort to actually go see -- otherwise it's 100% analytics dependent or guys they actually saw that season.  So, while it may seem like a no-brainer to you now... the Angels didn't have the manpower to have scouts at every college match-up every week. It would have been really unlikely for the Angels to have made sending a guy to watch a guy with a total of 30+ innings pitched total prior to 2016.  That's the total amount of IP thrown by Hudson as a Freshman and Sophomore.

What we do know is that the Dipoto drafts were geared towards high floor/low ceiling, the idea being to target guys who should/could progress quickly at the cost of greater upside.  We also know the scouting department assembled by Stoneman and responsible for most of the talent pool that fueled the 2000s era teams was gutted by Dipoto, and that a greater emphasis was given to analytics vs old school scouting.   It's been since then reported that under Eppler an entire analytics department was hired (replaced Justin Hollander in the process), it's staff size increased dramatically, and that the emphasis was shifted towards players with greater athleticism and higher ceilings (and greater risks)  -- The complete opposite of JD.

Again, my point is that the scouts were looking at Eppler types for all of one college/prep cycle -- not 7 months, not a year...  

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Yep. He had 7 months. Plenty of time. I’ve confirmed this in the past with an old friend who was a scout for the Mariners.

Well, I guess that trumps what the scouts who actually worked for the Angels, the ones that used to work for them before Jerry cut them loose, and what the guy who currently holds Eppler's former position with the Yankees told me about the Angels actual situation. 

My guy tipped me off to the Angels being 100% on Jo Adell before he was drafted -- same guy called the Jordyn Adams and Jeremiah Jackson picks the following year... information that I shared with people here PRIOR to those drafts.  I dunno if he got dumb or the Angels were a lot more stealthy but he had no idea what the Angels were going to be doing last year and I passed that along too.  So, either that was some really awesome magic 8 ball work or I figure his take on things was pretty on point.

Tell you what else...  the same guys says Eppler praised the efforts JD made in trying to move towards analytics but that he moved too fast for the size of the staff and the information they had...    He's said that Eppler actually really likes Jerry, that he does too.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

Why only mention Hudson and Bieber? There were 9 pitchers chosen between Thaiss and Hudson. Are they worth mentioning? Is there really a point to waiting 3 years to point out who turned out better? Is that going to make things better in the coming draft? 

Because those were the only two pitchers that pitched in that 2016 NCAA and HS season, so the Angels should have totally had scouts at all their games. 

To be honest, they should have at least been aware of Bieber due to his having pitched on the same staff with Dillon Tate, but again.. that assumes the Angels had actually gone to see Tate pitch in 2014 or 2015.

7 minutes ago, RBM said:

Matt Thaiss was not a Dipoto pick.

Eppler shouldn’t get a hall pass for the 2016 draft 8 months later. Not how it works. 

If he takes a HS guy like Whitley or Lux with that pick he has to go over slot instead of under which allowed him to pursue Marsh in round 2. When you come into a barren system doesn't it make sense to get a likely major leaguer first and then chase upside? And once again, let's have this conversation when this class has a few ML years under its belt and see how far off he was